Dick's sporting goods cancelling order after I placed it

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 20, 2015
Just looking for a reality check--I placed an order for some running shoes yesterday at a very good price on the Dick's Sporting Goods website. This morning I got an email stating that they cannot fulfill the order and cancelled it--they said something about increased demand.

I'm wondering--is it worth contacting Dick's and asking them to honor their pricing on a comparable pair of shoes, since when I placed the order the system gladly accepted it? I understand I'm not out anything--the system did not charge me for the cancelled order, but it just seems like bad business to accept an order and then unceremoniously cancelling it.

May 1, 2018
What was the price and what type of shoes were they? Did it seem like a genuine sale price or a mistake price? For example, a pair for shoes that normally sells for $100 being advertised for $60 is conceivably a good sale price. However, a sale price of say $10 for the same pair of shoes like likely a mistake price. Companies make mistakes all the time. They are well within their moral and legal rights to fix their mistakes.

If you believe this was not a mistake price, then yes you should ask them for a similar discount on a similar pair of shoes. Here are the contacts for Dick's: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/dicks-sporting-goods/

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Just looking for a reality check--I placed an order for some running shoes yesterday at a very good price on the Dick's Sporting Goods website. This morning I got an email stating that they cannot fulfill the order and cancelled it--they said something about increased demand.

I'm wondering--is it worth contacting Dick's and asking them to honor their pricing on a comparable pair of shoes, since when I placed the order the system gladly accepted it? I understand I'm not out anything--the system did not charge me for the cancelled order, but it just seems like bad business to accept an order and then unceremoniously cancelling it.
This is a routine event. While you were looking at a high demand item, others, possibly 100s of others, were looking at the same item. When your order was actually put in the system the computer discovered that the current inventory was empty.
Having said that it is reasonable to ask for the same discount on a comparable item. Dick's is a good retailer who wants to keep you as a customer. They were not doing anything shady; the inventory simply was gone.

Sep 20, 2015
What was the price and what type of shoes were they? Did it seem like a genuine sale price or a mistake price? For example, a pair for shoes that normally sells for $100 being advertised for $60 is conceivably a good sale price. However, a sale price of say $10 for the same pair of shoes like likely a mistake price. Companies make mistakes all the time. They are well within their moral and legal rights to fix their mistakes.

If you believe this was not a mistake price, then yes you should ask them for a similar discount on a similar pair of shoes. Here are the contacts for Dick's: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/dicks-sporting-goods/
It wasn't a fat finger fare. They were running a 50% flash sale, charging $30 for a normally $60 pair of shoes. Other retailers charge about $40-45 on sale, this wasn't too far off.

Sep 20, 2015
This is a routine event. While you were looking at a high demand item, others, possibly 100s of others, were looking at the same item. When your order was actually put in the system the computer discovered that the current inventory was empty.
Having said that it is reasonable to ask for the same discount on a comparable item. Dick's is a good retailer who wants to keep you as a customer. They were not doing anything shady; the inventory simply was gone.
Thanks, I've used Dick's before, and they have a very good reputation. They were running a flash sale, probably to get rid of excess inventory, so I totally understand that issues can occur...I just don't want to be out a good pair of running shoes at a good price if I don't have to. I will contact Dick's and see what they say. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Jan 6, 2015
If . . .4
  • you really want THOSE shoes and
  • you have a nearby store and
  • you show them the "cancelled" email then
they just might honor the online sale price . . .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If people were ordering at the same time, they might have beat you to the available shoes. You really have no case. From their terms:

1. Content, Pricing and Accuracy. All features, content, availability, specifications, products and prices of products and services described or depicted on the Sites are subject to change at any time without notice. The inclusion of any products or services on a Site at a particular time does not imply or warrant that these products or services will be available at any time. Certain weights, measures and similar descriptions are approximate and are provided for convenience purposes only. We attempt to ensure that information on the Sites is complete, accurate and up-to-date, including the applicable colors; however, the actual color you see depends on your device set-up, and We cannot guarantee that your device will accurately display such colors. Despite our efforts, the information on the Sites may occasionally be inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date. We make no representation as to the completeness, accuracy or currency of any information on the Sites. For example, products or services included on a Site may be unavailable, may have different attributes than those listed, or may carry a different price than what is stated on the Site. In the event of a pricing error or discrepancy on a Site with respect to products or services, We reserve the right to cancel any orders (or partial orders) for such products or services.