Diamond international

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 4, 2019
Anyone problems with overpayingfor jewelry here in Cozumel? Plus pressure Slurs on you to where u end up getting so upset never even intended to do. Or not even looking or shopping but they hounded you into purcSes that you didn’t want. Need, can’t afford, & not worth what they said it was.
need help with returning & getting refund. They say no, to both

Feb 12, 2019
If you wouldn't buy jewelry at home, why would you buy it on vacation? I've never understood the concept. You can go to a trusted local jeweler near your house who isn't going to cheat you.
I think a better one is if you would google/research the price at home you probably shouldn't buy it somewhere you can't do that. Covers non jewellery stuff too.

I'm so over traditional souvenirs that I've taken to buying jewelry on my travels, but my rule is to buy from local artists (or at least close by). Alas this can be harder than I like and came home empty handed last trip, but it also (mostly) cuts out all the expensive jewelry with the huge markups as they're not likely to spend the money upfront on diamonds and such.

Apr 8, 2019
We always go by the principle of if you would not buy it at home, why buy it on some island where you will never see the merchant again. Never, ever buy it at their initial price..they expect you to bargain. In fact if you try to leave the store, the price comes down significantly. You have to be immune to the high pressure sales tactics, they are hard core and trained to sell, sell, sell as you may cut into their "cut" of the sale. The only real bargains we have found is on booze. Art work is subjective at best and definitely overpriced.

Jul 30, 2018
Anyone problems with overpayingfor jewelry here in Cozumel? Plus pressure Slurs on you to where u end up getting so upset never even intended to do. Or not even looking or shopping but they hounded you into purcSes that you didn’t want. Need, can’t afford, & not worth what they said it was.
need help with returning & getting refund. They say no, to both
You narrative is a bit unclear. Did you purchase some jewelry whilst in Cozumel, spent more money than you should have and now want to return it for a full refund? Is the return policy printed on the back of your receipt?

Sep 27, 2018
I think a better one is if you would google/research the price at home you probably shouldn't buy it somewhere you can't do that. Covers non jewellery stuff too.

I'm so over traditional souvenirs that I've taken to buying jewelry on my travels, but my rule is to buy from local artists (or at least close by). Alas this can be harder than I like and came home empty handed last trip, but it also (mostly) cuts out all the expensive jewelry with the huge markups as they're not likely to spend the money upfront on diamonds and such.
Finding locally made stuff is virtually impossible. I gave up.

Mar 23, 2015
We found pretty quickly on our cruise that if we went to the places "recommended" by the cruiseline that they were mass market, overpriced, shlock. We took ourselves outbound beyond the few miles of the dock, found local artisans, bought some local crafts (knives, dolls, blown glass, etc...) that spoke to us and at a price point that made us *happy* and we felt was fair. But you have to be pretty independent and confident in your ability to stray from the ship and its environs and your ability to get back to it on time, etc.. if you're going to play independent tourist/shopper. Having said that, I would NEVER buy a diamond on a cruise. I'd want to buy that locally from a jeweler who I could go to for cleaning, sizing, servicing regularly, etc... although I did buy a black enameled and rhinestone Citizen Ecodrive (the only type of watch I can wear) watch on a cruise because the price was great and the watch gorgeous. It's been 7 years and I still wear it almost daily.

Jun 27, 2017
We only buy two types of items on a cruise (usually with onboard credits) - the $10 Special Sale items (wallets, watches, scarves, t-shirts, purses, etc.) and Citizen Ecodrive watches. Any time we spot a Citizen EcoDrive we like, we check out the same watch online (love those FREE Internet minutes) and usually the watch onboard costs less, plus there's no sales tax. And thank you, SoCalTraveler for the Robert DeNiro quote. It's priceless! I'm packing it in our luggage from now on.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
plus there's no sales tax
Make sure to check the requirements in your state. You may be liable for consumer's use tax which is for goods purchased from out-of-state/country. The cruise lines may send reports to the state revenue agencies of purchases onboard. I know that Missouri gets customs reports of items purchased and pursues the tax on those purchases unless they are exempt for some reason. I'e heard of other states sending notices to Missouri businesses questioning purchases they have made and whether there is a use tax liability or a requirement to file in that particular state. There is usually a threshold where no tax is due, in Missouri it is $2,000 or less. Any purchase or $2,000 or more triggers use tax on the entire liability.