Destinations Unlimited ($4700) & Sealand Travel Recuring dues ($2800 and counting)

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 12, 2021
In March of 2009 my now x-wife and I answered an advertisement that was too good to be true. Some sort of video camera and all we had to do was sit through a vacation package presentation. This was close to home in Fort Collins, CO. To be honest the two of us are perfect marks for unsavory offers since we both default to trust and believing what we are being told. You've heard it before high-pressure techniques, checking with the manager, etc. We got a great deal on 4 weeks/year of SUPER discounted condominium rentals and cruises and rebates, etc. We thought we had secured a lifetime of vacations for our family.

We discussed the safety of a 3 business day revision period and everything was in the membership packet.When we got home and found lots of stories of others being duped like us - we were going to use our get of stupid choices 3-day revision option. Nothing in the membership kit and no one is answering the phone on Sunday.

Screenshot 2021-02-12 154022.png

Time passes and we accept our lumps and don't pursuit any longer.

A year later we are contacted about the recurring annual renewal fee. $199 + 5% a year every year. We are not going to spend any more money on this bad choice and the person emailing us from SeaLand Travel says the membership is for a lifetime but the dues are elective. So we elect to never pay them.

Eleven years later I get a final notice for my past due annual membership fees. And now SeaLand offers a "Mutual Separation" option to buy yourself out of the travel club.

The check has been cashed on the $4700 dollars from 12 years ago - shame on me --- Can anyone HELP get me out of these recurring membership fees. We've never used the service and never will. All help is appreciated.

Screenshot 2021-02-12 155532.png

Feb 12, 2021
All, I rescheduled my meeting today with Member Services and received the following voicemail message - any ideas.

Hey Pat, it's John Doe from SeaLand travel. I was just calling... get a message in regards to your rescheduling. I just wanted to call and let you know the legal board has said that if we're not able to get this result today. or by your reschedule date on Monday that we're just going to send this to a full collections effort because we can't keep rescheduling this meeting. I mean, this has been... Just kind of ridiculous trying to get this handled, and so we're unable to get a meeting finished. Like I said today or by at least Monday, then I'm just going to go ahead and take the offer off the table and just throw it into a full collection effort.

• Wow
Reactions: Skippy

Skippy

May 30, 2019
I don't know much about getting out of timeshares/travel clubs, but I do know this: Your credit is about to be trashed. Your credit score will plummet. When a debt goes to a full collection effort, it will be reported to the credit bureaus. You will not be able to get a mortgage or auto loan at a reasonable interest rate. Your credit cards can be legally cancelled by the respective banks.

Even if you can later substantiate that the debt is not legitimate, it will take months to resolve this and many months for your credit score to return to current levels.

What is the "Mutual Separation" option? Is it reasonably priced, because that might cost less than getting out of a collections effort. Other than that, I wish I had a useful recommendation for self-advocacy, but all I can do is warn you of what appears to be imminent.

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
All, I rescheduled my meeting today with Member Services and received the following voicemail message - any ideas.

Hey Pat, it's John Doe from SeaLand travel. I was just calling... get a message in regards to your rescheduling. I just wanted to call and let you know the legal board has said that if we're not able to get this result today. or by your reschedule date on Monday that we're just going to send this to a full collections effort because we can't keep rescheduling this meeting. I mean, this has been... Just kind of ridiculous trying to get this handled, and so we're unable to get a meeting finished. Like I said today or by at least Monday, then I'm just going to go ahead and take the offer off the table and just throw it into a full collection effort.
Why are you unable to meet with Member Services? If you set up a meeting, then cancelled it ... especially more than once ... they obviously think that you're not going to work with them. Have you talked with anyone about working something out? You have a contract to pay these fees. If you chose to do nothing, the collection agency will do everything in its power to collect the debt. Not a good situation for you at all.

Skippy

May 30, 2019
I don't know much about getting out of timeshares/travel clubs, but I do know this: Your credit is about to be trashed.
Expanding on my Post #7 ...

With experience in the financial industry, limited information from you, and not knowing much timeshares/travel clubs, you should know if a company believes they have the right to collect money and cannot collect it directly, it will refer the debt to a collection bureau. Basically, the company sells your debt for a portion of it's value. That is typically a one-way street. Once the collection bureau takes over, the company that refers the debt washes it's hand of the situation.

Based on your Post #6, if you do nothing now, the above scenario appears imminent. Depending on what happens after the collection bureau starts it's activity, you are looking at potentially: 7-10 years of negative credit history; liens on your property; negative court records; etc.

You should read this: https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/finance/unpaid-debt-collections

I think you may want to consider:
  • Having that meeting to discuss further. Put off the referral of the debt.
  • Paying the "mutual separation" cost.
  • Making a partial payment, or working out a payment plan. You can make some payments while researching legal and other options.
Wishing you well.