Denied boarding on Air Canada after flight was delayed

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 24, 2015
I was denied boarding after my Air Canada flight from Quebec City to Toronto left over an hour late. Once in Toronto I passed through customs and got to the other Air Canada connection gate with barely 15 minutes left til departure. Once at the gate, my ticket had a beep, and the gate agent sent me to the other line to be processed. Once I got to that agent she couldn't process my ticket and picked up the phone to see what was up. Apparently, they did not have enough time to load my luggage onto the plane and so they denied me boarding, and put me on the next flight. Is this normal? Don't they normally wait for all connecting passengers to arrive?

On a related note I received an email for a new flight itinerary for a new TORONTO-SFO flight, while I was still flying en route from Quebec City to Toronto.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
No, this isn't normal ... it's much better than normal. AC knew you'd miss your connection, or at least your luggage would, and rebooked you on the new flight. Airplanes wait for nobody any more, no matter if you're solid gold platinum diamond tiara status. I am impressed with their expertise and willingness to take good care of you. I hope you send them a complimentary note.

Sep 19, 2015
JSN55 basically summed it. Airlines do not wait for connecting passengers which is why I never book a short connection time. As you had to clear US customs in Toronto there may be an emphasis on keeping bags with passengers on a US bound flight.

Delays are a pain but reality of travel and Air Canada seems to have done the right thing.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
As my colleagues have stated- if you aren’t at the gate by the time printed of your boarding pass- nope, they don’t wait, your seats are given away to those on standby.

You can avoid this by not booking a connection of less than 2-3 hours in between flights. Anything less and you rush not making your flight.