Delta's lost and found process

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
There is still the possibility it was stolen. It could have been picked up by another passenger who saw it or the cleaning crew may have taken it. Unfortunately, if it wasn't turned in by someone- what else can Delta do?
This possibility does make it extremely unfair to blame Delta.
I do think it is a sad state of affairs that society no longer feels it is necessary to acknowledge or answer a query, especially when directed to a specific person. Delta is not alone in this present day ill-mannered behavior.

Nov 3, 2015
Slight aside: Email is only a "best effort" delivery mechanism. In addition, thanks to spam and malware, virtually everyone forbids certain traffic from entering their network -- so if you have the "wrong" ISP, your email may be dropped silently on the floor to disappear. There are so many ways for email to go wrong, it's really amazing that so much of it does manage to reach the intended recipient.

Specifically, since Charisse Evans has not responded to you, have you moved on to the secondary contacts? http://elliott.org/company-contacts/delta-airlines/

It's frustrating when you don't get a response. And it's frustrating to have a missing computer. If you haven't moved on to the secondary contacts, that would be my next suggestion: pick one and send a succinct letter outlining your issues.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Thank you for your updates. I'm sorry this is taking so long. I'm glad you connected with Todd. At least you know if it crosses his path, he will grab that thing for you. While it's ok to be persistent, to the extent you need a computer in the meantime, you may want to get into replacement mode. If it turns up, you probably have 30 days to return it. I know it's disappointing but it may help you get more excited if you start perusing the new models and new offers available. Perhaps something will excite you and you may be inspired to take the plunge. With the holidays fast approaching, it may be a good time to buy. Also, now you know to do AppleCare, find my mac, don't put things in seatpockets, use an Amex for free purchase protection insurance and a bunch of other options to protect this one for sure.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
There is still the possibility it was stolen. It could have been picked up by another passenger who saw it or the cleaning crew may have taken it. Unfortunately, if it wasn't turned in by someone- what else can Delta do?
I agree with Neil, laptops left on airplanes and in airports disappear almost immediately. You have to be extremely lucky to retrieve one. Delta knows this ... they could certainly send you out a canned response but what good would that do?

Aug 24, 2016
Thanks everyone for your comments.
Thank you OR resident for reminding me about sending another email to one of the secondary contacts and to AAGK for the suggestion to seek out a replacement laptop.

This experience has me thinking that there has to be a better way for airlines to deal with lost items. It's too easy to say - "oh well you left, you lost it." Why can't a portion of what we spend on flying be put toward a more equitable and responsible lost and found system?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks everyone for your comments.
Thank you OR resident for reminding me about sending another email to one of the secondary contacts and to AAGK for the suggestion to seek out a replacement laptop.

This experience has me thinking that there has to be a better way for airlines to deal with lost items. It's too easy to say - "oh well you left, you lost it." Why can't a portion of what we spend on flying be put toward a more equitable and responsible lost and found system?
The system is only as good as the person who finds your item. I think there is more of a chance of someone taking it than turning it in. It's too bad there aren't security cameras in planes. Then you might be able to see who took it.

Aug 24, 2016
So I wrote to the secondary contact -Mr Gil West - informing him that I didn't get a response from Ms Evan after writing twice and asking about my laptop.

While I did not receive a response from him, I received a call from Amanda from the Delta Baggage service center indicating that they are trying their best to locate the laptop. She had the report number so I assume that Mr West instructed her to call.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Give it a week from the day you wrote to Mr. West. If you still hear nothing from Delta - write to the next executive, tell them you received a call from Amanda on such and such a date as a result of writing to Mr. West and no one has gotten back to you yet.

Aug 16, 2017
Just like many on this post I experienced the tedious process of tryin to track my company laptop left on a flight. However, with the help of this forum in locating the contact info for lost and found central, they were able to locate the device, and it is in the mail back to me.
I also received the generic emails that they were still looking, and had I not called (12 days later), though the device was there, I may have not received it back. Though my SN and all other info was logged into the claim ticket, it appeared that when the device was found and logged, there was not sufficient information to link it to my claim. The rep went and pulled HP Elite books that matched he description but were logged with insufficient information, and one of the devices was mine.
I was also advised that if the devise has owner information displayed, they will reach out, which makes the recovery process that much more effective. My older machines had a business card slot on the underside, where I would slide in a card. The newer ones don's. But you can be assured I will find a way to affix my contact info to the device going forward.
Yes the system is flawed, but until it improves, I would encourage the follow up with LF Central on your cases. The reason Delta and others moved away from doing this in house, was due to it being a resource intensive process to log, maintain, recover ship etc. Imagine, there are thousands of items left/lost each day. Some recovered and turned in, some not. Also, there are some agents at the airline that would like for the process to not be third-party, as they get a lot of questions from customers when items are lost. I spoke to one agent that advised me to continue to make complaints to Delta to see what gives. At a minimum, the process should be designed to treat high value items differently. There should be a better recovery process applied to Laptops/tablets, that to sunglasses. We all assess value differently, but if the device has implications for employment/way of life, it should have some heightened priority.
Keep pushing on, and the main take away...keep up with your items.

Status
Not open for further replies.