Delta's lost and found process

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 28, 2015
New York
I posted a reply ro
I am a victim of the black hole of Delta's lost and found system which they assume no responsibility for and which is outsourced to a third party. My daughter left her laptop under her seat on a Delta flight arriving into JFK on Aug 12. She did not realize this until the morning of Aug 13. My colossal mistake was not sprinting to the JFK Delta baggage claim to try to retrieve it. I stupidly thought that it was too late or that Delta's online lost and found process actually worked. I have since learned that items left on the plane that have been turned in by the cleaning crew can sit for up to a week or more in the airline's baggage claim area before being shipped to Lost and Found Central in Scottboro, Alabama. Delta's website gives me only one option - to complete a online form. That form goes straight to Alabama. I have spent all last week calling the JFK delta baggage claim office to see if by miracle they still had the laptop (assuming it was turned in). If I was able to get through at all (hardly ever),I was told that the item was not there without the person making any attempt to look for it. There seems to be no system of logging items and no recording of what gets sent out to the central lost and found. In short, it is a free for all for whomever finds the items. So far, I have received two automatic emails from Lost and Found Central about how hard they are trying to locate the laptop. I am now calling Scottsboro directly each day to see if the laptop is there. By some miracle I was able to get a hold of the number on a blog. I have written to Delta Comments and Complaints to find out where my laptop may have gone and they have told me I must wait to hear back from Lost and Found assuming that the item was properly turned in and properly shipped out. I have gone on Twitter to @Delta to see if they can help and have received the same useless response.
I have also learned from reading various blogs on this topic that all items that are not returned to their owners (and there is no incentive for this third party to do so) are sold at a store in Scottboro - probably related to Central Lost and Found.

I am frustrated beyond description. It's now day 12. I have locked the laptop remotely using my Apple account. Unfortunately the laptop is offline so I cannot get it to signal. I have never felt so helpless in my entire life. I understand that Delta has a large inventory of lost items, but their current system is horrendous. Of course, it was my daughter's fault for leaving the laptop, but how Delta chooses to handle this is a huge customer relations issue. I don't think it's okay for them to have a flimsy, opaque system like this. Can you offer me some advice? Is there anything else I can do?
I posted a reply to the same issue on another thread. I left my iPhone, etc. I noticed while at the airport- 10 minutes later, ran back, tried everything, no luck.
My bf works at Apple and I just consulted him.
He says try the find my Mac feature from another device. It's probably stolen at this point so that won't help but there's a feature where you can report as lost/stolen and lock it so that if that person tries to bring it to an Apple Store or service it/unlock it- every store will be notified and you will be contacted.
If you paid with an American Express, or another card that has purchase protection, then you are in luck and can file a claim for reimbursement.
Otherwise, AppleCare won't help. It's not expensive enough to make a homeowner's claim worthwhile, unfortunately- depending on your deductible- and most policies exclude electronics unless you have a rider and again, you probably wouldn't since it is under $5k.
There is insurance you could've purchased that covers lost items, but AppleCare wouldn't cover this. I'm sorry. I wish I had better news.
You can track it online but I imagine you have been doing that and after. 2 weeks, that ship has probably sailed.

Aug 24, 2016
Thanks AAGK-I spoke to Apple yesterday. Unfortunately because "find my Mac" was not turned on on the actual laptop there is nothing I can do. I have attempted to lock it using my iphone but the technician at Apple said that it is actually not locked because the laptop is offline and therefore not capable of being locked. I asked if they could do something from afar and he put me on hold to ask his colleagues and the answer i was given is no.
The lessons that one learns from this experience are sobering.
I spoke to to Brittany at Scottsboro Alabama Lost and Found this morning. She gave me some glimmer of hope. She said two weeks is not very long. It can take 4-5 weeks for the items to be shipped to them! Why so long? Are they going via cargo ship? After writing to customer care several times, I am now being told in writing by Delta that the report will be kept open for 60 days. First it was 2 weeks, then 3, now 60 days.
I wrote to Charisse Evans yesterday - VP Delta Customer Service. I followed the advice on this website. I asked for her to help to reunite me with my laptop. Please don't laugh too hard.

Nov 3, 2015
You know, it's probably low on their priority list, but a good company that is trying to be a better company would pay attention when they hear that their internal procedures are a) frustrating the tar out of their customers and b) rife with inconsistencies as well as c) wasting their company's time and the customer's to no value for anyone.

Let's hope Delta wakes up and smells the coffee soon.

Aug 24, 2016
I want to give a shout out to Logan International Airport Lost and Found!!
You Rock!!!

A woman whose name I didn't catch actually called me this morning to follow up on my missing laptop report.
Amazing!! Thank you so much to caring enough about your job and people you serve to do that!!

Aug 28, 2015
New York
I want to give a shout out to Logan International Airport Lost and Found!!
You Rock!!!

A woman whose name I didn't catch actually called me this morning to follow up on my missing laptop report.
Amazing!! Thank you so much to caring enough about your job and people you serve to do that!!
Did you get it back? I'm so happy for you!!! Please, when you get it back, set up a passcode and do turn on the find your device feature immediately.

Aug 24, 2016
No i did not get it back. I have cast as wide a netas I can by reporting it to Logan and Bufallo airports in case the laptop wasn't found during the cabin cleaning at JFK and took off again. I cannot believe a woman at Logan Lost and Found actually cared enough to call me to get more details.

The laptop is still missing unfortunately!!!

Aug 24, 2016
Hi Neil-
Just to clarify, no one from Delta has done anything for me. Charisse Evans (VP Cust Svc) has not responded; Customer Care and @Delta have given me the standard "we cannot help you" responses. Brittany from Scottsboro Lost and Found works for the third party company and the Logan Lost and Found person who called me is just a really nice person.
Delta is MIA so far.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Hi Neil-
Just to clarify, no one from Delta has done anything for me. Charisse Evans (VP Cust Svc) has not responded; Customer Care and @Delta have given me the standard "we cannot help you" responses. Brittany from Scottsboro Lost and Found works for the third party company and the Logan Lost and Found person who called me is just a really nice person.
Delta is MIA so far.
I see. But at least Brittany has heard you. Continue to write to the executives at Delta until you get to the top.

Aug 24, 2016
Thank you - Neil.

I am learning the hard way about what happens to the lost items. They appear to go to Atlanta first before getting shipped to lost and found central in Scottsboro, Alabama. No wonder Brittany said it can 4-5 weeks before she receives shipments.

According to delta baggage claim at JFK there are no logs kept. Items are shipped to Atlanta presumably within 24 hours of recovery although I read online that they can stay at the airport for up to a week. I wish I had gone to the airport from the very beginning to try to retrieve the laptop. I might have been successful.

The lost items stay in Atlanta for an undisclosed period of time before being sent to Scottsboro, Alabama. Brittany from Scottsboro said she has no idea where any of the shipments are coming from. When I asked her how many laptops she has, she said, "thousands!!!"

What happens to the items when they are in Atlanta? Are they picked over? Does anyone know?

Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
What happens to the items when they are in Atlanta? Are they picked over? Does anyone know?
I get your frustration and it's understandable. Reverse-engineering or going "under the hood" of the L&F process really doesn't help to recover the laptop, beyond the recommendations you're already pursuing. The chances dwindle rapidly as time passes (the "golden hour" in emergency medicine comes to mind), but miracles happen. Keep us updated.

Aug 24, 2016
HI everyone,

I just wanted to update you all on the laptop situation. It will be 4 weeks this coming Friday since accidentally leaving it on Delta Flight 4161 from Boston to JFK on Aug 12, 2016.

I have been calling Scottsboro, Alabama every weekday to see if the laptop has been received. So far no luck. Since writing to Charisse Evans , VP of Delta Customer Service 2 weeks ago, there has been no response from her. I have written to her again yesterday.

I am not giving up. From what I can gather from various posts on the internet about Delta Lost And Found, the items go or maybe sometimes go to an undisclosed location in Atlanta first before going to Scottsboro. I am hoping that the delay in hearing about the laptop s because the item has not made its way to Scottsboro yet. I realize that I may be completely deluded at this point, but I am still hoping that I will get it back. I am also hoping that Ms. Evans will do the right thing and respond to me.

I have become friendly with the Scottsboro Lost and Found personnel. One employee (Todd) said that if the item is not received by this Friday (4 weeks from the original date of the lost and found report), they will open up a new ticket for me so that the laptop does not go on the chopping block at the store. So, there is some human concern being exercised here - which is gratifying.

Anyway, I will update you all on the progress of things. Wish me luck.
Cindy

Aug 24, 2016
Update-
I wanted to provide an update to my lost laptop predicament. Since accidentally leaving a MacBook Pro on DL 4161 arriving from Logan to JFK on August 12 - it continues to be missing. At the advice of the Scottsboro AL Lost and Found I have opened a second lost and found report since each is only good for about 3-4 weeks and it clearly can take many weeks before items make their way to Scottboro.
I am very disappointed that after writing to Ms Charrise Evans, VP Customer Svc twice, I have not received any response. I think that if a customer goes to the trouble to write to a senior level executive at a company like Delta, it has a responsibility to respond, even if the response is coming from a support staff. They have an insanely ineffective lost and found system and refuse to acknowledge it.

I continue to call Scottsboro every few days to check on their deliveries. I am trying to stay hopeful.

Status
Not open for further replies.