Delta's Carrier Imposed Fees look like a Tax

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 26, 2016
How is it that you think you are buying a ticket for an international flight on Delta Airlines for the cost of "X + Tax", but you are actually paying "X + Tax + Y" ? The "Y" is something called Carrier Imposed Fees. I had never heard of these fees until Delta surprised me.

Here is what I remember:

On Delta.com in February 2016 we purchased 2 round-trip tickets for travel later in July-August 2016 between Portland, Oregon, and Brisbane, Australia. The ticket price appeared as a total of $1,900 for 2 tickets. But when I reached the end of the purchase process, the total cost had ballooned to $3,581.12. I remember wondering why the domestic and international taxes were so high.

I did not look at all of this until after we returned home. It turned out that domestic and international fees and taxes were only $321.12. The big surprise was $1,360 in Carrier Imposed Fees by Delta.

Since then I have gone through several rounds with Delta customer service, the most recent being Delta case #21150651. Twice I have asked Delta to explain and justify this $1,360 fee conveniently hidden among the taxes. Delta's first answer was that it was not a mistake. Their second answer was a little closer to justification, but sounded a lot like "everybody's doing it and you should have said something at the time."

I don't believe any explanation will really justify this $1,360 fee. We want our $1,360 back, either in cash or as travel credits of equal value for future travel on Delta.

Thanks for listening!

Jul 1, 2016
David,

Two RT tix Portland to Brisbane for $1,900? Wholly cow - that would be a heck of a deal. The lowest flight going out on Delta I could find today on that route was $1,697.00 each for July, but the tax and charges were under $200.

Price per Passenger
$1,527.00

Taxes, Fees and Charges
$170.26

Total perPassenger
$1,697.26

Total (2 passengers)
$ 3,394.52
USD

I hesitate to ask, but are you certain you didn't reference an initial quote (given as price per person)? Even at $1900 apiece that total would have been short by $300+ if doubled. I have priced Australia (which is always high) and never found anything under $1200 pp. for a RT to Brisbane. Any $3,000 plus figure sounds more like 'normal' pricing for 2 tix. Where did you see the notation for "Carrier Imposed Fees" on the website? This is something I didn't see on the Delta website...

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The information is right on their website:

Here are the charges you will see on your ticket, and their explanations:

Base Fare - our ticket price plus U.S. excise and departure/arrival taxes when they apply.
Taxes and carrier-imposed Fees - airport charges, government taxes and fees, and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Total Fare - base fare plus airport charges, government taxes and fees, and carrier imposed surcharges - the total price you pay.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en.../fare-classes-and-tickets/taxes-and-fees.html
NAME & DESCRIPTION

MAY APPLY TO:

CODE

AMOUNT

U.S. Excise Tax (aka U.S. Domestic Transportation Tax; U.S. Ticket Tax)

Percentage of fare; applies to flights within the continental United States or Canada/Mexico 225-mile buffer zones

U.S. Domestic & International

US

7.5%

Travel Facilities Tax
(aka Alaska/Hawaii Ticket Tax)

Applies to certain flight segments to or from Alaska or Hawaii

US

$8.90

U.S. Federal Segment Fee
Per-segment inflation-adjusted fee applicable to flights within the continental United States

ZP

$4.00

Passenger Facility Charge (PFC)
A maximum of 4 charges per itinerary applies to PFC-approved airports for facilities improvement

XF

up to $4.50

September 11th Security Fee (aka U.S. Passenger Civil Aviation Security Fee)
U.S. government-assessed fee of $5.60 per one-way trip with a U.S. enplanement for security costs (fee may accrue multiple times for itineraries with stopovers)

AY

$5.60 per One-Way trip per U.S. enplanement

U.S. International Transportation (Arrival/Departure) Tax
Applies to all flights arriving in or departing from the United States, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands

International

US

$17.70

U.S. Customs User Fee

International-US

YC

$5.50

U.S. Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) Fee
Applies to all flights originating abroad and landing in the United States, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands

International

XA

$5.00

U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Fee
Applies to international arrivals to the United States, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands

International

XY

$7.00

International Taxes and Government or Airport-imposed fees
Various foreign taxes, inspection fees, and security charges typically excluding airport departure taxes. Select countries such as the UK, France and Ghana may require additional taxes based on the cabin of service.

International

Varies

up to $349*

Carrier-Imposed Surcharges
Carrier-imposed surcharges stated separately from the base fare on some international itineraries

International

YQ/YR

up to $650* each way

Singapore Aviation Levy
Applies to all flights departing from Singapore Changi Airport

International

OP

SG$ 6.10

International Departure Taxes
Some countries outside of the U.S. may have a departure tax which is separate from any taxes and fees included in your ticket purchase and is collected at the airport prior to your departure.

International

Varies

Varies

Taxes and carrier-imposed fees are subject to change.
*Approximate amount

Jul 1, 2016
OWCHIE. Haven't experienced Australia (expense/time required) yet. Two things new to me, (and victimized poor David) that have never come up before for me were: International taxes/government/airport fees up to $349 and the Carrier Imposed Surcharges up to $650 EACH WAY. Good Gollygobbers - cursed fine print. Thanks for the heads up, Neil - as always - YOU ARE THE MAN with the whole story.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Is this related to the British gobsmacked? We need some new vernacular in America I think, Gollygobbers could really catch on.

Neil, fine job on the airline tix taxes and fees breakdown - even tho nobody wants to admit how we are being gouged for flying off someplace nice.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It is so true about the gouging. But it took me two minutes to find it in Deltas website. And yes, we sure as heck are being gouged.

I am used to seeing the outrageous fees and taxes when booking air. Sometimes you say "I can't believe that low price!" and then see the taxes and fees.

When we recently flew into Amsterdam and out of Zurich for a cruise I found r/t flights through a consolidator for $476 each. I couldn't believe it even after checking them four times. Booked them and called the consolidator because I couldn't believe that was the right original price. Consolidator vouched the pricing was correct and tickets had been issued. when I DON'T see high taxes and fees I worry that there is something wrong.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
It is so true about the gouging. But it took me two minutes to find it in Deltas website. And yes, we sure as heck are being gouged.

I am used to seeing the outrageous fees and taxes when booking air. Sometimes you say "I can't believe that low price!" and then see the taxes and fees.

When we recently flew into Amsterdam and out of Zurich for a cruise I found r/t flights through a consolidator for $476 each. I couldn't believe it even after checking them four times. Booked them and called the consolidator because I couldn't believe that was the right original price. Consolidator vouched the pricing was correct and tickets had been issued. when I DON'T see high taxes and fees I worry that there is something wrong.
I'm terrified to use a consolidator ... did your tix work as expected?

Nov 3, 2015
I've used consolidator tickets a couple of times, and both went well (including having to change one of the tickets while I was on a trip). I think one of the things that really helped me was that I'd really talked to the TA before buying the tickets and had a good grasp of what these tickets were and weren't. She was very thorough about what might go sproing, and what I should do if it happened.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I've used consolidator tickets a couple of times, and both went well (including having to change one of the tickets while I was on a trip). I think one of the things that really helped me was that I'd really talked to the TA before buying the tickets and had a good grasp of what these tickets were and weren't. She was very thorough about what might go sproing, and what I should do if it happened.
And that is exactly what has to be explained. Sometimes there are no miles earned, no refunds or changes, etc.

Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
And that is exactly what has to be explained. Sometimes there are no miles earned, no refunds or changes, etc.
And if things go pear-shaped during travel, conso/ bulk/ unpublished fare tickets are bottom of the barrel for the airline's rebooking priority. The tickets are usually non-endorseable (airline A will not endorse your tickets over to airline B), and non-reroutable (your rebooking must be the same cities and connecting points as the original tickets). Example: You have a conso ticket LAX-DFW-BOS on AA. Before you depart LAX, the DFW-JFK flight is cancelled due to bad weather in DFW. There are seats available on UA, DL, AS, B6 and VX....but you cannot be rebooked on any of them. AA has seats on 3 nonstop LAX-BOS flights, a DFW-LGA flight, and connecting flights through ORD, MIA, and CLT. But the fare rules restrict you to the original routing through DFW and into JFK. There are thousands of AA customers who need rebooking due to the weather problems. They are accommodated before you are, since you're the consolidator's customer and not AA's.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2016
I've booked a lot of tickets on delta.com, and I've always seen all the taxes and fees (except those which are voluntary, like bag check) included in the upfront price shown.

Jul 1, 2016
Is this related to the British gobsmacked? We need some new vernacular in America I think, Gollygobbers could really catch on.

The similar experience as gobsmacked - a "gob-stopper" is a large "jawbreaker" candy given to a kid which takes up his/her entire mouth. The mouthful stops them from endlessly chattering. Soooo...."Golly" as said when politely astounded, along with "gobber" as in gob-stopped speechless. I don't mind paying a few fees, but it's the 3-figure UP TO and the EACH WAY annotations that open the gouging doors.

Sep 19, 2015
I just did a test booking on Delta -- for the same period, and I did not find anything strange. The Delta website is very clear
Leaving 2 August 2017 and returning 15 August
Fare Code - TLX41EMP
PDX 12:26 PM
to
BNE 06:50 AMtwo days later
Flight Number
Complete Delta Air Lines Baggage Information opens in new window

View Details of DL 6795 DL 670

Price Overview
Price per Passenger
$877.00
Taxes, Fees and Charges
$157.36

Total Price
$ 1,034.36

I did not see any additional fees.

Was the ticket purchased on Delta.com?

THe problem the OP has is that questions were not asked before the ticket was purchased, and now the OP wants a refund

Nov 26, 2016
David,

Two RT tix Portland to Brisbane for $1,900? Wholly cow - that would be a heck of a deal. The lowest flight going out on Delta I could find today on that route was $1,697.00 each for July, but the tax and charges were under $200.

Price per Passenger
$1,527.00

Taxes, Fees and Charges
$170.26

Total perPassenger
$1,697.26

Total (2 passengers)
$ 3,394.52
USD

I hesitate to ask, but are you certain you didn't reference an initial quote (given as price per person)? Even at $1900 apiece that total would have been short by $300+ if doubled. I have priced Australia (which is always high) and never found anything under $1200 pp. for a RT to Brisbane. Any $3,000 plus figure sounds more like 'normal' pricing for 2 tix. Where did you see the notation for "Carrier Imposed Fees" on the website? This is something I didn't see on the Delta website...
Thanks Mick. Taking your questions and points in reverse order: (1) Delta does have on its website information about Carrier Imposed Fees. But one would only know to go there if one knew of these fees in the first place. We did not. I did not see their description until I started digging into why our tickets were so high. (2) The $1900 was for 2 travelers, not for each. (3) Your Australia experience and cost expectations might be on target, or they might be "apples and oranges" or speculation. This being our one and only (probably) trip to Australia, my standard of measurement is the travel we have done over the years between west coast USA and Asia/Pacific. The $1900 sounds right on, adjusted for extra distance and time/inflation. Yes... my standard could be just as much "apples and oranges" or speculation.

The bottom line(s), (1) I knew nothing about Carrier Imposed Fees until after we returned from our trip, but will consider them in our travel decisions in the future. (2) Delta should state their ticket prices as a sum total, not "hide" fees into the line items for taxes.

Thanks again, Mick. I appreciate your weighing in.

Nov 26, 2016
I just did a test booking on Delta -- for the same period, and I did not find anything strange. The Delta website is very clear
Leaving 2 August 2017 and returning 15 August
Fare Code - TLX41EMP
PDX 12:26 PM
to
BNE 06:50 AMtwo days later
Flight Number

View Details of DL 6795 DL 670

Price Overview
Price per Passenger
$877.00
Taxes, Fees and Charges
$157.36

Total Price
$ 1,034.36

I did not see any additional fees.

Was the ticket purchased on Delta.com?

THe problem the OP has is that questions were not asked before the ticket was purchased, and now the OP wants a refund
Christina, yes we purchased on delta.com. We flew Delta from PDX to LAX, and Virgin Australia (partner airline) LAX to BNE.

Nov 26, 2016
The information is right on their website:

Here are the charges you will see on your ticket, and their explanations:

Base Fare - our ticket price plus U.S. excise and departure/arrival taxes when they apply.
Taxes and carrier-imposed Fees - airport charges, government taxes and fees, and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Total Fare - base fare plus airport charges, government taxes and fees, and carrier imposed surcharges - the total price you pay.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en.../fare-classes-and-tickets/taxes-and-fees.html
NAME & DESCRIPTION

MAY APPLY TO:

CODE

AMOUNT

U.S. Excise Tax (aka U.S. Domestic Transportation Tax; U.S. Ticket Tax)

Percentage of fare; applies to flights within the continental United States or Canada/Mexico 225-mile buffer zones

US

7.5%

Travel Facilities Tax
(aka Alaska/Hawaii Ticket Tax)

Applies to certain flight segments to or from Alaska or Hawaii

US

$8.90

U.S. Federal Segment Fee
Per-segment inflation-adjusted fee applicable to flights within the continental United States

ZP

$4.00

Passenger Facility Charge (PFC)
A maximum of 4 charges per itinerary applies to PFC-approved airports for facilities improvement

XF

up to $4.50

September 11th Security Fee (aka U.S. Passenger Civil Aviation Security Fee)
U.S. government-assessed fee of $5.60 per one-way trip with a U.S. enplanement for security costs (fee may accrue multiple times for itineraries with stopovers)

AY

$5.60 per One-Way trip per U.S. enplanement

U.S. International Transportation (Arrival/Departure) Tax
Applies to all flights arriving in or departing from the United States, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands

International

US

$17.70

U.S. Customs User Fee

International-US

YC

$5.50

U.S. Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) Fee
Applies to all flights originating abroad and landing in the United States, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands

International

XA

$5.00

U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Fee
Applies to international arrivals to the United States, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands

International

XY

$7.00

International Taxes and Government or Airport-imposed fees
Various foreign taxes, inspection fees, and security charges typically excluding airport departure taxes. Select countries such as the UK, France and Ghana may require additional taxes based on the cabin of service.

International

Varies

up to $349*

Carrier-Imposed Surcharges
Carrier-imposed surcharges stated separately from the base fare on some international itineraries

International

YQ/YR

up to $650* each way

Singapore Aviation Levy
Applies to all flights departing from Singapore Changi Airport

International

OP

SG$ 6.10

International Departure Taxes
Some countries outside of the U.S. may have a departure tax which is separate from any taxes and fees included in your ticket purchase and is collected at the airport prior to your departure.

International

Varies

Varies

Taxes and carrier-imposed fees are subject to change.
*Approximate amount
Thanks Neil. Yes, I get it. It's all there on delta.com (right now), and it may have been there in February 2016 (or not). But it's easy to figure out if you already know of the existence of Carrier Imposed Fees. Please see my responses to other posts in this thread. I stand by my original post and responses: Delta (and all other airlines) should package all charges, except for government and airport taxes/fees, into a single fare amount. I want my $1360 back, or the equivalent for future travel on Delta.

Jul 27, 2016
I priced out the same trip, and I think your confusion was with the initial screen, which quotes a price PER TICKET, not a total price, but does include all taxes and fees.

upload_2017-1-9_17-10-33.png

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks Mick. Taking your questions and points in reverse order: (1) Delta does have on its website information about Carrier Imposed Fees. But one would only know to go there if one knew of these fees in the first place. We did not. I did not see their description until I started digging into why our tickets were so high. (2) The $1900 was for 2 travelers, not for each. (3) Your Australia experience and cost expectations might be on target, or they might be "apples and oranges" or speculation. This being our one and only (probably) trip to Australia, my standard of measurement is the travel we have done over the years between west coast USA and Asia/Pacific. The $1900 sounds right on, adjusted for extra distance and time/inflation. Yes... my standard could be just as much "apples and oranges" or speculation.

The bottom line(s), (1) I knew nothing about Carrier Imposed Fees until after we returned from our trip, but will consider them in our travel decisions in the future. (2) Delta should state their ticket prices as a sum total, not "hide" fees into the line items for taxes.

Thanks again, Mick. I appreciate your weighing in.
$1900 for TWO people? Do you know what a steal that is????