Delta Vacations Problem

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 26, 2019
My issue is with Delta Vacations. Much like the Expedia and agency issues I just read, I booked 5 tickets for my entire family to travel to the U.K. My mother's name is Patricia Dianne Johnson and that is how I booked the ticket. On her passport, she used her previous last name and it reads Dianne Nelson Johnson. Delta airlines says they cannot change because it was booked through Delta Vacations. Delta Vacations will not change and insists that we need to cancel her ticket and rebook for more than $2000. What can I do? I am the one who made the mistake and everything else matches. I just realized the issue as I was gathering our travel documents and saw her passport for the first time. The address, birthday, and even the credit card that purchased the tickets all match.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
You likely will have no option but to cancel her ticket, hopefully receive some credit, and use the credit with additional funds to purchase a new ticket at current prices. If your travel is soon you need to proceed with this process now. Even if you had booked directly with Delta your options would probably be the same. NEVER book an international ticket for anyone (including yourself) without a copy of that person's passport in front of you.

Jan 6, 2015
I agree with my colleagues and will add the following Delta Vacations contacts I was able to find. You can always try appealing to them. I you choose to contact them, I recommend doing so in the order I have listed:

Shelley Knight
Vice President, Customer Engagement Center
[email protected]

Dan Wilkinson
Vice President
Marketing,
Revenue Management,
& E-Commerce
[email protected]

Jennie Ho
President
MLT Vacations
[email protected]

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
That answers why the replacement ticket is so expensive but it will only get worse the longer you wait to buy it . The price will continue going up .

Do you have a passport office she can get to? She can just go with the appropriate documentation and her itinerary showing she is traveling Friday if she is a US citizen and they will revise her passport. She’ll have to pay for the expedited service but it’s cheaper then a new ticket.

It’s a shame you didn’t have this information within 24 hours of booking as you could have changed it within 24 hours at no charge.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Mar 15, 2018
Jumping on board to urge you to try the passport option - ASAP! It's your best bet.

Yes, the wrong-name thing on airline tickets is extremely frustrating. We all know they are able to fix the name of a ticket in seconds and it costs them nothing. But they CAN deny travel for a name mismatch, and so they do. They make quite a bit of money off this.

It's a hard (and expensive) lesson to learn, but it's a mistake that I'm sure you'll never make again!

Please do let us know what happens. I'm rooting for you to be successful with the passport name change! That would sure save you a ton of money.

Dec 17, 2018
Traveling Friday :-(
Where do you live? If you're near a city with a passport processing center, you can get a same day passport if you're traveling internationally. My mom lost her passport (well, my parents thought it had been stolen by some workers at the house... turns out we found it like a year later, but still... point is, she didn't have to fly when she needed to) and she was able to delay her flight by a day (Delta was awesome about that in her case) and she went to Los Angeles and got a new passport and then left the day after. So if you are anywhere near a big city, your mom COULD get a new passport before Friday.

Dec 17, 2018
I agree with the passport idea, but wonder if WBRANT qualifies:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/hurry.html

According to that site, it has to be "life or death" to get it by Friday.

Also, I am curious when the tickets were purchased . . .
I don't know... my mom got hers the day she was supposed to fly out to visit me in Japan, and in her case, it was literally just a lost passport. I mean, sure, I was about to have a baby... but that hardly qualifies as "life or death".

Feb 28, 2019
That answers why the replacement ticket is so expensive but it will only get worse the longer you wait to buy it . The price will continue going up .

Do you have a passport office she can get to? She can just go with the appropriate documentation and her itinerary showing she is traveling Friday if she is a US citizen and they will revise her passport. She’ll have to pay for the expedited service but it’s cheaper then a new ticket.

It’s a shame you didn’t have this information within 24 hours of booking as you could have changed it within 24 hours at no charge.
I don't think the 24 hours rule applies when booking through a third party?

Apr 6, 2017
Interesting as Delta is usually very nice re name changes for international with no charge etc....why would Delta Vacations be different?

Mar 26, 2019
They're NOT Delta, they are a 3rd party travel agent. I am tempted to just go to the airport early and see if Delta will change. Risky?!

Mar 26, 2019
I agree with my colleagues and will add the following Delta Vacations contacts I was able to find. You can always try appealing to them. I you choose to contact them, I recommend doing so in the order I have listed:

Shelley Knight
Vice President, Customer Engagement Center
[email protected]

Dan Wilkinson
Vice President
Marketing,
Revenue Management,
& E-Commerce
[email protected]

Jennie Ho
President
MLT Vacations
[email protected]
ALL OF THESE EMAILS ARE INCORRECT. They are immediately rejected as UNDELIVERABLE

Jan 6, 2015
I would say very risky, an highly unlikely. You have been given the link to their executives, and several members have suggested a new passport.

Time is ticking away, and I strongly suggest you choose one of them.

FOOTNOTE: from my search they are part of Delta . . .

Mar 26, 2019
We have an appointment at the Atlanta passport office at 8am tomorrow. All of those emails were incorrect and I am trying to find the correct ones.

Thanks!