Delta Skymiles/AMEX Gold card

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 1, 2018
This summer, Delta Skymiles and Amex phased out the Classic card and conducted a mass migration of Skymiles Classic card holders to the Amex Gold card. My wife is a long-time Skymiles member and Classic card holder. She wasn't aware that she was being transitioned to the Amex Gold card until she received it in the mail. SHE DID NOT REQUEST THIS CARD. She contacted Delta and Amex to protest. She was denied the bonus miles that she would have been awarded if she had applied for the Gold card herself. This is nothing less than theft. Delta and Amex refused to invalidate the issuance of the Gold card. My wife refused to activate it and she cancelled it. Then, she applied for the Delta Amex Gold card herself to receive a 60,000 mile Skymiles bonus, contingent on dollars spent, on offer during a promotion that expired 19 September. Delta and Amex refused to award her the 60,000 miles because "she had already been issued a Skymiles Gold card". Delta is the ONLY major carrier to deny eligibility for bonus miles on affiliated frequent flyer credit card cards if the applicant has EVER, AT ANY TIME IN THE PAST held the same card. Tell me, Delta. Tell me, American Express. Is this how you demonstrate appreciation for the loyalty of a Delta Skymiles member of more than ten years? Why should we ever fly Delta Airlines again? Why should either of us continue to be Amex card holders when Delta and Amex conspire to abuse their members? This is theft. All of our correspondence to Delta and its partner American Express is documented with dates and names of the people we spoke to. All for naught. You, Delta and your partner have blown off my wife's complaints. Delta points the finger at Amex. Amex points the finger at Delta. Both of you are crooks. By issuing her a card that she DID NOT REQUEST you denied her the opportunity to qualify for bonus award miles. If she applies for the Gold card on her own recognizance, she must qualify and undergo a hard credit inquiry. Yet Delta and Amex completely circumvented that process to issue her a card she did not want. Where does she find justice?

Sep 19, 2015
AmEx says they take into account other AmEx cards the person has had to determine eligibility — not just gold cards. So there are enough legal disclaimers to cover them.

The reason they do this is because of the blogs that advocate opening and closing credit cards for points — these people have ruined it for people like your wife.

If your wife wants any resolution the best thing to do is take out accusations of theft and politely write to the executives.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
She lil
This summer, Delta Skymiles and Amex phased out the Classic card and conducted a mass migration of Skymiles Classic card holders to the Amex Gold card. My wife is a long-time Skymiles member and Classic card holder. She wasn't aware that she was being transitioned to the Amex Gold card until she received it in the mail. SHE DID NOT REQUEST THIS CARD. She contacted Delta and Amex to protest. She was denied the bonus miles that she would have been awarded if she had applied for the Gold card herself. This is nothing less than theft. Delta and Amex refused to invalidate the issuance of the Gold card. My wife refused to activate it and she cancelled it. Then, she applied for the Delta Amex Gold card herself to receive a 60,000 mile Skymiles bonus, contingent on dollars spent, on offer during a promotion that expired 19 September. Delta and Amex refused to award her the 60,000 miles because "she had already been issued a Skymiles Gold card". Delta is the ONLY major carrier to deny eligibility for bonus miles on affiliated frequent flyer credit card cards if the applicant has EVER, AT ANY TIME IN THE PAST held the same card. Tell me, Delta. Tell me, American Express. Is this how you demonstrate appreciation for the loyalty of a Delta Skymiles member of more than ten years? Why should we ever fly Delta Airlines again? Why should either of us continue to be Amex card holders when Delta and Amex conspire to abuse their members? This is theft. All of our correspondence to Delta and its partner American Express is documented with dates and names of the people we spoke to. All for naught. You, Delta and your partner have blown off my wife's complaints. Delta points the finger at Amex. Amex points the finger at Delta. Both of you are crooks. By issuing her a card that she DID NOT REQUEST you denied her the opportunity to qualify for bonus award miles. If she applies for the Gold card on her own recognizance, she must qualify and undergo a hard credit inquiry. Yet Delta and Amex completely circumvented that process to issue her a card she did not want. Where does she find justice?
She likely would NOT have received the bonus miles from a new application because she already had a current Delta SkyMiles Amex card.

Nov 1, 2018
AmEx says they take into account other AmEx cards the person has had to determine eligibility — not just gold cards. So there are enough legal disclaimers to cover them.

The reason they do this is because of the blogs that advocate opening and closing credit cards for points — these people have ruined it for people like your wife.

If your wife wants any resolution the best thing to do is take out accusations of theft and politely write to the executives.
That is frankly hogwash.

When my wife applied for the Gold card on her own recognizance, AMEX was only too happy to approve it, but not with the bonus miles that they had withheld from her when they issued her the G old card without her authorization. Hence, she cancelled the application. This had nothing to do with her history with AMEX. In fact, in the final conversation we had with an AMEX senior customer service ombudsperson, that person expressed dismay that this had occurred and assured my wife that she was 90% certain the issue would be resolved in my wife's favor and the previously-issued card would be invalidated, opening the path to my wife's application for a new card with the 60,000 mile promotion. The promotion deadline expired with no word from AMEX. We telephoned again and were unable to reach this senior person even though we have her employee identification. Instead, we were tersely told the appeal had ben denied, that AMEX had no obligation to inform us in writing of the denial, and that the senior person who assured us it would be rectified would be counseled. So yes, we've followed procedures to the letter, short of filing a complaint in the AMEX Executive Suite. AMEX representatives lied to my wife and stole from her the opportunity to apply for the card on her own behalf. So yes, this is nothing less than theft and misrepresentation. I might add, we are long-time holders of the Chase Sapphire Preferred card from its inception, and now the Chase Sapphire Reserve card from the date it was introduced. We have never had anything less than exemplary, courteous and professional service from Chase. Not so much with AMEX.

I'm absolutely certain my wife isn't the only long-term Delta Skymiles AMEX Classic card holder who has been victimized by the mass migration. By what authority does AMEX determine they can issue a premium card and withhold bonus miles to a customer who had never held one in the past? I imagine most customers who have been issued this card under the migration have absolutely no idea they are being cheated out of bonus miles to which they're entitled if they had applied for the Gold card themselves instead of having it forced upon them by Delta and AMEX.

There is a principle involved here that goes far beyond the monetary value of the bonus miles. It has to do with corporate abuse of customers. And it's worthy of a class action suit.

Nov 1, 2018
The possession of one class of Delta Skymiles AMEX card does not prohibit the awarding of bonus miles when a different class of card is issued to the customer. In fact, one AMEX representative invited my wife to apply for the Delta Business Gold card at 60,000 miles or the Business Platinum card at 70,000 miles, over the phone during that very conversation. Even though she isn't a business owner. So it's evident they're happy to bend their rules when it suits them, even though my wife technically isn't qualified to apply for a business card. This is sleazy business.

Nov 1, 2018
If the phase-out of the Delta/AMEX Classic Skymiles card and subsequent issuance of the AMEX Gold card had been accompanied with the bonus miles eligibility instead of simply an increase in the annual card renewal, my wife would have accepted that. But to issue the Gold card to previous Classic card holders and withhold the bonus miles eligibility to all as a matter of policy is unethical.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Two things we don’t advocate here are mileage and loyalty points and we also don’t advocate cases on behalf of a third party From our FAQS:

Are there any cases you don’t mediate?

Yes. Here’s a partial list:

• Airfares that go up after selecting a flight option (caching).
  • Airline seat comfort issues, including in-flight entertainment systems that don’t work.
  • Any case involving legal action against a company or customer.
  • Asking a company to honor an obvious price error.
  • Car rental damage cases.
  • Cases submitted on behalf of a third party.
  • Compensation for delays that resulted in lost vacation or work days.
  • Getting a refund for a nonrefundable airline ticket or hotel room.
  • Missing or expired loyalty points.
  • Recently lost or misplaced luggage.
  • Visa/passport problems that led to denied boarding.

Your wife is going to have to advocate for herself. She can certainly use the information in this to try to get assistance.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

I’m going to close this thread since it isn’t one we advocate and it has turned argumentative to the folks who are trying to give you input into the situation based on our knowledge and experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.