Delta - over 24 hour delay at LAX

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 31, 2016
I'm reaching out with regard to the ordeal that my family and I experienced in August. We had tickets for Flight #308 which was flying from LAX to Cancun on Aug. 7, 2016 at 11:59 PM. However, our flight was delayed and changed several times due to the system failure. Our flight finally left LAX on Aug. 8, 2016 around 11:59 PM. Below is a brief explanation of our situation:

• Our group consisted of 5 adults and 1 child (Ages - 57, 53, 32, 26, 23, 6)
  • We lost 2 full days from our 7 day vacation (Aug. 8 & Aug. 9)
  • We were stuck at LAX for over 24 hours; no food or hotel vouchers were offered during our delay
  • Gate changes were not announced clearly; we had to constantly seek this information by walking around the airport and searching for Delta staff
  • We spent and lost money on our hotel for nights we were not able to enjoy
  • We spent about $700 dollars on a rental vehicle that was no longer available when we arrived and we are still fighting to get that money back
  • The delay had an impact on our health; my sister developed a cold and my 6 year old niece developed a sore throat
  • The delay also took a physical toll on our bodies due to the lack of sleep, the constant nodding back and forth in a seated position, the cold LAX air conditioning, and the extended periods of standing and walking with carry-on luggage

Although we recognize and appreciate Delta's efforts in trying to make things right by offering a $200 travel voucher, we do not feel that it takes into account the actual costs that were incurred. In addition, we are not able to fly often (typically once a year) so a $200 travel voucher does not seem like reasonable compensation. We would like to a request a $400 refund for each of the 6 tickets that we purchased ($2,400 total). This would take into account all of the costs mentioned above. Please let me know if you can help. Thank you for listening.

Sincerely,

Giovanni E. Macias

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What was the reason that Delta canceled or delayed the flights? Depending on the reason you may have been eligible for a hotel and or food vouchers at the very least. Was this when the airline had their computer problems?

Nov 3, 2015
What was the reason that Delta canceled or delayed the flights? Depending on the reason you may have been eligible for a hotel and or food vouchers at the very least. Was this when the airline had their computer problems?
That was indeed when the cascade from computer systems melting down at Delta: here's the offer from Delta, dated 8 Aug 2016: http://news.delta.com/compensation-offered-customers-affected-cancels-delays

$200 vouchers per person was Delta's standard compensation offer for that event.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Gio, I suggest that you use our company contacts we have on top of the pages. At the very least food and cots should have been provided or they should have given you hotel vouchers.

Write to customer service and state your case. Get rid of the stuff about people getting sick, people get sick just flying on a plane that really doesn't amount to much. And the gate announcements don't matter either.

Did you have travel insurance? Most policies would pick up some of the costs you had through trip delay. If you didn't have insurance (buy it in the future) contact your credit card company for the card you used and ask if they have any trip delay insurance. Did you pre-pay for the car (never a good idea)? What did you do for a car when you arrived?

Get receipt for the days you missed of your vacation and pro-rate the total cost for the days you missed. Explain about the car rental to them as well. Did you save receipt for the food you bought at the airport?

Total all of that up and ask Delta to reimburse you. I think they felt $200 was going to make everyone happy but that is clearly not the case when you lose days you pre-paid for on a vacation. I would think you won't be the only person who is asking for more.

Write to Customer Service, give them a week to reply. If they don't of they refuse more, write to the first executive listed. Give him a week to reply, and repeat weekly if necessary until you get to the top.

I hope you get more compensation as well. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Aug 31, 2016
Neil,

Thank you for the feedback. Unfortunately, we didn't purchase travel insurance. However, after what happened to us this year, we won't treat it as optional anymore.

Yes, we pre-paid for the vehicle online. We needed a large van that could accommodate 7 adults and 2 children. Since we didn't arrive on the date and time specified in our reservation, the company gave our vehicle away to another family. They considered us to be no-shows. When we arrived they only had one other van that was large enough for us but, it was manual transmission and in very bad shape. We had to hire a cab for any trips we took outside of our hotel (ruins, beaches, city).

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Neil,

Thank you for the feedback. Unfortunately, we didn't purchase travel insurance. However, after what happened to us this year, we won't treat it as optional anymore.

Yes, we pre-paid for the vehicle online. We needed a large van that could accommodate 7 adults and 2 children. Since we didn't arrive on the date and time specified in our reservation, the company gave our vehicle away to another family. They considered us to be no-shows. When we arrived they only had one other van that was large enough for us but, it was manual transmission and in very bad shape. We had to hire a cab for any trips we took outside of our hotel (ruins, beaches, city).
@Gio Could you clarify how you missed the 1st 2 days of your trip? Your flight took off at the same time 1 day later? It's important not to exaggerate when requesting compensation so that your request is taken seriously. I apologize if I misread the dates.

Also, how much additional did your rental cost than you expected to pay? Since you are pursuing that with the rental company, I would leave that out bc too many numbers could confuse them.

Also, were you delayed at your point of origin or was LAX a connection? Did you rent a hotel room for the night of the 27th?