Delta Does The Right Thing

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 26, 2017
Had booked a flight on Delta a few months ago from Oakland to Salt Lake City to Des Moines - booked this routing to get relatively short flights. Got an email recently from Delta changing my flights to Oakland to Salt Lake City to Detroit to Des Moines - much longer flight, extra stop, and arriving a lot later than my first itinerary. Called Delta, expecting to hear phrases like "Change Fee", and "Increased Cost" . Instead the Delta representative confirmed that the SLC-DSM flight on my original day, Saturday, had been canceled. She asked if I was flexible, which I was, so she rebooked me on my old itinerary leaving one day earlier. Not one word about this costing me anything. It kinda felt like the old days when flying was fun!

Jul 27, 2016
In the case of a flight change like this, I've always found Delta to be very reasonable. It's very helpful to have a specific alternative in mind and researched before you call. If you're scheduled to fly A-B-C, but the time of your A-B flight gets moved back by two hours so you'd only have 15 minutes to connect in B*, calling the airline to get it fixed is much easier if you can say "instead of A-B-C, can you put me on flight 123 A-D, and flight 456 flight D-C?" That makes the rep's job much easier, and you're likely to get the outcome you want.

*B is Atlanta. B is always Atlanta.

Apr 10, 2017
In the case of a flight change like this, I've always found Delta to be very reasonable. It's very helpful to have a specific alternative in mind and researched before you call. If you're scheduled to fly A-B-C, but the time of your A-B flight gets moved back by two hours so you'd only have 15 minutes to connect in B*, calling the airline to get it fixed is much easier if you can say "instead of A-B-C, can you put me on flight 123 A-D, and flight 456 flight D-C?" That makes the rep's job much easier, and you're likely to get the outcome you want.

*B is Atlanta. B is always Atlanta.
I agree. I have found the same to be true with Delta and AA as well. Sometimes it works out well when a flight is changed drastically or canceled. I've been able to get a better itinerary that cost more at booking for no additional cost. I make sure to select my itinerary (and check availability) before I call the airline and they've always been able to accommodate me. I'm not sure how other airlines handle this but Delta and AA are great.

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
On most (normal and sane) airlines, a substantial itinerary change (often a difference of 90 minutes or more) entitles you to rebook flights that are better for you without any fees. That's one of the reasons we keep preaching "check your reservations often". If you catch this kind of a change before everyone else does, you can often craft a much better trip for yourself. As my colleagues mentioned, knowing what the alternatives are before you call will enhance your ability to get what you want.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
When they make changes like this, you are not required to take the new itinerary. You can tell them it is not acceptable and they can either refund you or put you on another flight. As Just A Guy says. so your homework before contacting them and check to see if there are other flights that would work and you can ask for them to change you to those alternate flights.

Feb 9, 2016
When they make changes like this, you are not required to take the new itinerary. You can tell them it is not acceptable and they can either refund you or put you on another flight. As Just A Guy says. so your homework before contacting them and check to see if there are other flights that would work and you can ask for them to change you to those alternate flights.
it's crazy how most people don't realize that flight changes of this magnitude allow you to cancel and rebook....

Oct 10, 2016
Huntley, IL
As much as I do not like AA, for once they did the right thing, too. We always took the early flight from Tucson to ORD, which departed at either 6:00am or 7:00am, depending on the time of year, and landed around noon, giving us a half-day in Chicago. It was never late, as it was in Tucson overnight. Sometime before our departure, I got a change of itinerary, saying that we were changed to a later flight, departing around noon and arriving around 5:00 pm. I called AA & said that this was not acceptable, expecting some kind of negative response. I was pleasantly surprised when the agent asked me what I wanted. I told her I wanted the noon flight, but the previous day, giving us a full day in Chicago. She gave me a reference number and told me to call reservations and give them that number, and that they would rebook me at no charge.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thanks for posting this, it's nice to hear 'good stuff' once in a while. My cynical side has to ask: you have already made the res change, right? We see so many people reporting that an airline agent tells them the wrong thing ... I suspect it's usually just to get them off the phone.