Delta Covid-Related Refund?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
Feb 16, 2021
Hello,

I have an issue with a cancelled trip and am seeking assistance for a full refund.

Delta Airlines canceled our trip to Dublin for a cruise leaving Dublin due to the Corona virus in July 2020. I had purchased non-refundable tickets issued to my wife and myself for travel July 2, 2020 to board a cruise on Celebrity leaving Dublin. After talking and corresponding with my travel agent I was advised to settle for a future airline credit, which must be used by 9/30/2022, which I received and I do not want. The credits have left a bad taste in my mouth because the cruise that I was going on was canceled and I received a total refund on my credit card from Celebrity Cruise Line because they also canceled the cruise.

Given that Covid continues to affect travel, I am seeking suggestions for my desired resolution: a full refund to my credit card. During March - May my travel agent tried to get the full refund to no avail and she is now retired.

Value of my claim (in US $): $2,743.06

Date of transaction/travel date: 2019-09-26

Any help would be appreciated.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
Unfortunately, once a voucher or credit is accepted, a future refund becomes highly unlikely. Providers will, at that point, only return to travelers "in kind", meaning they might grant another extension. What you wish for now is an exception (good will gesture). Given that you have another 18 months to use the Delta credit, this will be difficult.

That said, you can appeal this VIA EMAIL using the information provided in the following links

Resolving Complaints
composing and sending effective emails
Company Contacts
restrict your content to 500 words or less

Reactions: Patina and Comicman

Skippy

May 30, 2019
I presume your flight departed from the US. If so, based on your description, the travel agent gave you bad advice. At the time, Delta was offering direct refunds to people if they cancelled the flight before passengers canceled. Noting that, I agree with Post #2.

Did you book the flight through the travel agent?
Was the voucher issued through the travel agent, or by Delta airlines?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If Delta canceled your flight and you didn’t, you are due refund it if took off or landed in the US.

If you or your travel agent canceled before Delta did, no refund is due.

If your travel agent didn’t tell you that you were due a full refund for the air if Dekta canceled- you need to go back to her and find out why she told you that.

Jun 24, 2019
I’m sorry for the predicament you are in. We, too, have over $11,000 in credits which we may never get to use.

The initial answer to your inquiry is that you bought non-refundable tickets. You could have, presumably, purchased refundable tickets.

If we knew more about when you cancelled compared to when Delta cancelled, we have have more advice for you. As others have noted, even if you buy non-refundable tickets, the airline owes you a refund if the airline cancels the flight BEFORE you cancel. So if you tell us when you cancelled compared to when the airline cancelled, we might have more suggestions.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
if you buy non-refundable tickets, the airline owes you a refund if the airline cancels the flight BEFORE you cancel.
This would only be true if the passenger did not accept a future travel voucher. If they did they were compensated and would no longer be due a refund for any reason. ( OK almost any reason)
I agree that the OP was given bad advice in the accepting of this credit and not waiting for a refund.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I think your travel agent retired before you realized it. Based on her advice, you accepted a credit from Delta because they cancelled the flight. You were due a refund at the time. I'd contact the owner of the agency you used and "politely complain" about your TA's error. State that you are due a refund and you expect the agency to negotiate that refund with Delta. Be concise, patient and persistent. Hopefully the owner of the agency will take steps to make it right ... if it can be done. The agency should carry Errors & Omissions insurance, which protects customers from incompetent agents. Leaving you with a credit instead of a refund is not acceptable; this is a very simple matter and should not have caused the slightest problem.

Jun 24, 2019
I think your travel agent retired before you realized it. Based on her advice, you accepted a credit from Delta because they cancelled the flight. You were due a refund at the time. I'd contact the owner of the agency you used and "politely complain" about your TA's error. State that you are due a refund and you expect the agency to negotiate that refund with Delta. Be concise, patient and persistent. Hopefully the owner of the agency will take steps to make it right ... if it can be done. The agency should carry Errors & Omissions insurance, which protects customers from incompetent agents. Leaving you with a credit instead of a refund is not acceptable; this is a very simple matter and should not have caused the slightest problem.
It is not clear from OP's story who cancelled first. That fact is critical to a determination of whether there is anything that can be done. While OP states that Delta cancelled, it is possible that Delta cancelled at the behest of OP. In such event, getting vouchers for non-refundable tickets was a plus. If Delta cancelled the entire flight, then Delta would owe a refund, and perhaps the TA gave bad advice. If OP would return and let us know the chronology, we could help, possibly, in crafting a strategy.

Sep 26, 2017
Hello,

I have an issue with a cancelled trip and am seeking assistance for a full refund.

Delta Airlines canceled our trip to Dublin for a cruise leaving Dublin due to the Corona virus in July 2020.
If this info is correct, I agree with @jsn55 and I'd go after the travel agency for their clear mistake.