Delta canceled my flight and rebooked me on a earlier flight I may not be able to make as I am coming in from an International flight. What can I do?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 19, 2019
I booked a flight for 4 with you from Baltimore to Munich Germany via Detroit. One the second leg of the return flight Delta has changed my flight 4 or 5 times now, Just yesterday I receive an email that my flight from Detroit to Baltimore at 5:45pm was cancelled and they rebooked me on a flight that leaves at 3:40pm. The problem is that I am coming in on an international flight from Munich that supposed to land at 2:06pm if there are no delays. I booked a longer time in between flight so there was little chance to miss the next flight if there was a delay. Now landing in Detroit I will probably have to clear Customers and Immigration, and chances of catching the next flight is are low!!!! What are my options here? I can't miss the flight and miss work. thank you

Jul 13, 2016
Is the Munich to Detroit flight booked as one ticket with the Detroit-Baltimore flight? Is so, then you just need to call Delta and have them find an alternate flight. Remind them of the customs and rechecking of baggage will probably require longer than 96 minutes.

Sep 19, 2015
I booked a flight for 4 with you from Baltimore to Munich Germany via Detroit. One the second leg of the return flight Delta has changed my flight 4 or 5 times now, Just yesterday I receive an email that my flight from Detroit to Baltimore at 5:45pm was cancelled and they rebooked me on a flight that leaves at 3:40pm. The problem is that I am coming in on an international flight from Munich that supposed to land at 2:06pm if there are no delays. I booked a longer time in between flight so there was little chance to miss the next flight if there was a delay. Now landing in Detroit I will probably have to clear Customers and Immigration, and chances of catching the next flight is are low!!!! What are my options here? I can't miss the flight and miss work. thank you
This is all on one ticket, correct? Have you checked to see if there are later flights? Have you called and asked about another routing, such as through Atlanta?

It is good to be concerned about the timing, as that is a bit short.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Even if all your flights are not on the same PNR, you can call Delta and let them know that the new flight time is not feasible for you. You do not need to give them a reason, just say that you would like to be booked on a later flight. It would help if you have some options that work better for you as suggestions (look the flights up on their website as a reference).

May 19, 2019
Is the Munich to Detroit flight booked as one ticket with the Detroit-Baltimore flight? Is so, then you just need to call Delta and have them find an alternate flight. Remind them of the customs and rechecking of baggage will probably require longer than 96 minutes.
Yes, the whole trip is under the same ticket.

May 19, 2019
This is all on one ticket, correct? Have you checked to see if there are later flights? Have you called and asked about another routing, such as through Atlanta?

It is good to be concerned about the timing, as that is a bit short.
Yes, this is all under one ticket, there are no more flights from Detroit to Baltimore after the flight they put me on.

May 19, 2019
Even if all your flights are not on the same PNR, you can call Delta and let them know that the new flight time is not feasible for you. You do not need to give them a reason, just say that you would like to be booked on a later flight. It would help if you have some options that work better for you as suggestions (look the flights up on their website as a reference).
It's all part of the same ticket. There are no later flights from Detroit to Baltimore on that day.

May 19, 2019
Actually there is one more flight I see at 9pm.. but that is way to late for me as I am travelling with two young children that have to be in school the next day.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Actually there is one more flight I see at 9pm.. but that is way to late for me as I am travelling with two young children that have to be in school the next day.
If 9 PM is too late and there are no earlier flights with a longer interval you may need to seriously consider having Delta change your flights to one day earlier. Alternatively no school the next day.

Sep 19, 2015
Have you thought about changing planes in Atlanta? Choices are:

Risky short connection in Detroit

long connection in Detroit and late arrival

change to leave a day earlier

Route through Atlanta

May 19, 2019
If 9 PM is too late and there are no earlier flights with a longer interval you may need to seriously consider having Delta change your flights to one day earlier. Alternatively no school the next day.
That is not possible, I have another flight coming in to Munich the day before.

May 19, 2019
Have you thought about changing planes in Atlanta? Choices are:

Risky short connection in Detroit

long connection in Detroit and late arrival

change to leave a day earlier

Route through Atlanta

Guess the route change to come back via Atlanta would work. It would have about the same layover time as the original flight.

The big question is will Delta allow that change?

May 19, 2019
Am I assuming correctly that flying back from Munich be it via Detroit or Atlanta with the final destination Baltimore I will have to collect my luggage and clear customs in either Detroit or Atlanta?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Am I assuming correctly that flying back from Munich be it via Detroit or Atlanta with the final destination Baltimore I will have to collect my luggage and clear customs in either Detroit or Atlanta?
Yes, in Detroit or Atlanta you will need to claim your luggage, clear customs and passport control, and recheck your luggage. You need to have 3 hours or more to be able to do this, and then get to your next flight which may well be in a different terminal from the international arrival terminal. Depending on the airport, you may have to exit the secured area as well, and then go through TSA screening.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Guess the route change to come back via Atlanta would work. It would have about the same layover time as the original flight.

They have to change it for you if it’s all on one PNR. They are supposed to look at all the flights in the same PNR and adjust all. Call them and tell them that they need to rebook the other flights because the times don’t work.

If you had separate PNRs- different story.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015

It would really help us if you answer our questions....we cannot advice you properly if you don't tell us if your tickets are all on the same PNR and what your ideal solution is. We are making a lot of assumptions due to the lack of details. So, please let us know:

Is your reservation on one PNR ( one ticket per person purchased through Delta) or did you purchase an international ticket separately from the domestic ticket?

Sep 19, 2015

As long as they have seats and the original ticket was BWI to Munich to BWI they should allow the change.

The Detroit connection is legal but short — may be okay with Global Entry and an adult but with small kids, maybe needing bathroom stops and such.

And if you miss the short connection at Detroit Delta would rebook for the later flight, but then there would need to be 4 empty seats

I would look at a longer connection in Atlanta maybe at least 3 1/2 hours to be safe

Dec 19, 2014
Without knowing your travel dates, I'm going to some speculating here.

Were you initially booked on DL 1637? That appears to be the 5PM-6PM flight from DTW to BWI.
If not, is that flight available on your travel dates? or is it sold out?

The issue with your connection at DTW isn't if the inbound is delayed. Your biggest risk is a customs delay.

Because of the involuntary change, and because your flight was booked on a single ticket, just call Delta and they will work with you to rebook the flight. From what you are posting, you are on a tight itinerary (can't fly out the day before, kids and you have to be back at work/school the next day). While I applaud your efforts to be proactive, there are still many variables that could result in an oopsie moment.