Dell refuses to repair damage done in their repair depot

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 23, 2019
So I got a call regarding the email I sent Mr. Dell. It was the Advanced Resolution Guy again. They still refuse to fix my PC. I think this proves my earlier hypothesis.

At this point, I've exhausted all avenues within the company, I believe.

Mar 23, 2019
You could try taking them to small claims court.
I've been compiling evidence for this scenario since the beginning. I'm glad I found this forum, but I'm not surprised with the outcome. Dell has been dug in since I was transferred to Advanced Resolutions. I think I can demonstrate to a judge that I've gone through extraordinary measures to achieve a resolution with these guys.

Maybe Dell's corporate lawyers will think of this as a waste of their time, and they'll just give me what I want - which is a full refund of my computer, upgrades, extended warranty, court costs, shipping, and the money I spent on independent diagnostics. It's unfortunate that I can't sue for my time. I'm prepared to present my evidence in any case.

Anybody have small claims experience?

Jun 11, 2019
Hello Terry,

I just stumbled across this thread because I am also in the middle of a dispute with Dell. My situation is not the same, in terms of issues with my Dell product, but it's quite similar in every other way. I've been having issues with them for about 4 months now; I'm talking 6-page complaint to the BBB type of thing. Yes, I know that's far too long. I plan to start cutting it down soon. For what? I don't know because I, too, have found that the BBB and emails to executives simply get routed back to the same person I've been dealing with in the Advanced Resolutions Group. Believe me, my situation is bad. Far worse that any experience I've ever had with any company. They have messed up every step of the way for 4 months, and will not budge. They have wasted somewhere between 40-45 hours of my time. By this, I do not mean time spent worrying about it, I mean time spent waiting for them to call when they don't, or show up at my house when they don't, or show up at my house but not have equipment (including, once, a screwdriver to open the laptop), or show up at my house with equipment but still not be able to fix the issue. All of that added up to 28 hours. On top of this there has been just over 7 hours of time spent on the phone with them, just for tech support alone, all for the same laptop. There has been more time on the phone, outside of tech support, arguing over compensation. And then 62 email threads; among those threads, 40 sent messages from me. The only thing I finally got from them was a refurbished laptop that's a slight downgrade, and it malfunctioned straight out of the box. Blown speaker (or that's what it sounds like anyway). After ARG listened to the speakers over the phone and claimed they couldn't hear anything, I now have to have in-home service come back to my house, the same in-home service that wasted exactly 28 hours of my time and did not fix the problem. This isn't even all of it. This is a very brief summary. And I cannot get through to anyone but the same person in ARG, who will not help.

Have you don't much reading on forums? This is a very common story with Dell. They are doing this to lots of customers. It's kind of insane. It's definitely caused me an incredible amount of stress. It's not typical of me to write a 6-page complaint to the BBB. I hardly even knew what the BBB was before this complaint. I've also never written to the executive of a company. I don't even think I've every asked to speak to a manager. Dell has gone above and beyond with their incompetence every step of the way, and there seems to be no path toward recourse.

I know what I'm saying won't help your specific issue, but I still thought you might like to know that you aren't alone in dealing with something like this. Believe me, I feel your pain. Please let me know if you figure something out, and I will do the same.

If there's not a way to reach their executives, then I wish there were a way to start collecting all of the stories similar to this and have them widely shared online. I wouldn't begin to know how to do that in a way that would actually matter, but it's just maddening that they are getting away with crap like this.

-Kyle

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Hello Terry,

I just stumbled across this thread because I am also in the middle of a dispute with Dell. My situation is not the same, in terms of issues with my Dell product, but it's quite similar in every other way. I've been having issues with them for about 4 months now; I'm talking 6-page complaint to the BBB type of thing. Yes, I know that's far too long. I plan to start cutting it down soon. For what? I don't know because I, too, have found that the BBB and emails to executives simply get routed back to the same person I've been dealing with in the Advanced Resolutions Group. Believe me, my situation is bad. Far worse that any experience I've ever had with any company. They have messed up every step of the way for 4 months, and will not budge. They have wasted somewhere between 40-45 hours of my time. By this, I do not mean time spent worrying about it, I mean time spent waiting for them to call when they don't, or show up at my house when they don't, or show up at my house but not have equipment (including, once, a screwdriver to open the laptop), or show up at my house with equipment but still not be able to fix the issue. All of that added up to 28 hours. On top of this there has been just over 7 hours of time spent on the phone with them, just for tech support alone, all for the same laptop. There has been more time on the phone, outside of tech support, arguing over compensation. And then 62 email threads; among those threads, 40 sent messages from me. The only thing I finally got from them was a refurbished laptop that's a slight downgrade, and it malfunctioned straight out of the box. Blown speaker (or that's what it sounds like anyway). After ARG listened to the speakers over the phone and claimed they couldn't hear anything, I now have to have in-home service come back to my house, the same in-home service that wasted exactly 28 hours of my time and did not fix the problem. This isn't even all of it. This is a very brief summary. And I cannot get through to anyone but the same person in ARG, who will not help.

Have you don't much reading on forums? This is a very common story with Dell. They are doing this to lots of customers. It's kind of insane. It's definitely caused me an incredible amount of stress. It's not typical of me to write a 6-page complaint to the BBB. I hardly even knew what the BBB was before this complaint. I've also never written to the executive of a company. I don't even think I've every asked to speak to a manager. Dell has gone above and beyond with their incompetence every step of the way, and there seems to be no path toward recourse.

I know what I'm saying won't help your specific issue, but I still thought you might like to know that you aren't alone in dealing with something like this. Believe me, I feel your pain. Please let me know if you figure something out, and I will do the same.

If there's not a way to reach their executives, then I wish there were a way to start collecting all of the stories similar to this and have them widely shared online. I wouldn't begin to know how to do that in a way that would actually matter, but it's just maddening that they are getting away with crap like this.

-Kyle
Here are the Dell contacts: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/dell/
Goes all the way up the chain. Have you tried emailing them?

Mar 23, 2019
Here are the Dell contacts: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/dell/
Goes all the way up the chain. Have you tried emailing them?
If you read through the entire thread, you'll see that I did those very things.

Maybe im_so_sorry will have better luck than I did. I suspect s/he won't. All I can suggest is to follow the advice that was given to me on this forum, which was both excellent and helpful.

Taking these steps did not solve my problem, and now I intend to sue Dell here in the next couple weeks. I've been pretty busy since my last post.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Jun 11, 2019
Hey @Terry_L ,

My complaint has only been sent to the BBB and Mark O'Loughlin. I stopped there because I'm certain none of my attempts to reach the others will work either. The amount of reading I've done about this has shown me that ALL attempts to reach them are just routed back to ARG. This is happening to everyone else in our situation. If you find a situation in which someone did reach them, please share it with me.

One user on another forum speculated that the only way to reach them would be if you are a high-profile customer/business, etc. I personally think that's absolutely true. To me, it's either that the executives don't have the time/don't want to hear from customers of our caliber OR they do want to in certain circumstances, but the gatekeepers aren't letting anything through because it makes them look better in their bosses' eyes. Perhaps they only let cases through when it's clear that they did not actually screw up, lie, etc. In your case (and mine) they did screw up, so they don't want their bosses to know about it.

To a certain extent, I get it; of course they don't want to look bad. Also, of course the executives don't have time to read every email they get form upset customers. I also try to keep in mind that there are, surely, countless numbers of irate customers who really don't have a good reason to be irate. There are people out there who simply try to cheat the system/take advantage of companies. I don't believe that you or I fit into that category; at the same time, no customer believes they fit into that category, and Dell can't give every customer what they believe they are owed, so instead of taking the time to decide which customers actually have a legitimate problem worth fixing, they seem to be indiscriminately rejecting all or most of the problems that get escalated to them. I'm sure, of course, there are cases in which they absolutely must do something to fix the problem, but I think that's only when Dell knows they wouldn't stand a chance legally, meaning they clearly went against their own policy, etc.

On the other hand, when it's a situation like yours in which they might be able to twist/spin the facts in their favor, or a situation in which they did not break policy but only because their policies are written in order to protect themselves alone, rather than to protect themselves and their customers, they aren't going to do a damn thing. In my case, the argument is 100% about policy, their 30-day return policy. They are within their right to stick to policy in my case; however, they screwed up big time over and over and over which, to me, means they should extend their reach outside the holy, sacred text that is policy. They seem to have the mentality of if we do it for you, we have to do it for everyone. This is not true, but it's certainly less work for them if they run things as if it were. Most companies will ignore policy from time to time in order to right a wrong.

In the end, what I truly don't understand is this (and this is perhaps my ignorance about business, capitalism, money in general): how could it be more profitable to screw over customers like us than to simply take the much smaller hit of offering a replacement or refund, etc? I probably don't have to explain this to you, but I say "much smaller hit" due to the inevitable chain reaction of the anger born from screwing us over, leading to threads like this, and complaints to the BBB, and spreading negativity by word of mouth, etc., which deters (I hope) other customers from purchasing goods and services. It also seems to possibly lead to litigation. I have to assume that I'm simply wrong: they actually take a smaller hit from pissing us off than they would by appeasing us. If that's not the truth, then what is it? Simply a game of numbers and time, meaning that they make so much money so quickly that by the time you and I have done the amount of damage we can to them it means nothing because it's buried beneath all of the other sales? Surely with enough time and enough pissed off customers, it would make a difference, right? Or would it take Dell losing accounts with major companies rather than customers like us?

Sorry for ranting. Please don't feel like you need to do the same in response. I'm still right in the middle of my mess with Dell, so I have a lot of energy (perhaps too much) in my typing fingers.

I will certainly keep y'all posted. You do the same, please. I don't expect that I will be going down the path of litigation, simply because I'm not sure I have a case. I want to hear how yours goes though. I sincerely hope it works out in your favor. I've dealt with Dell enough to know you deserve to come out on top.