Dell refuses to repair damage done in their repair depot

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 23, 2019
I agree. It’s long but in bullet form it’s easy to read and factual.
I laugh because this one issue is only the tip of the iceberg that is my Dell nightmare. I didn't even mention the fact that I had to fight these guys to fix it under warranty in the first place because of a "miscommunication" in the repair depot (hence the 3 week turnaround for the initial issue), or that the space bar on the replacement keyboard doesn't always register keystrokes. Now I backspace a lot. I hope that key doesn't fail.

Jan 6, 2015
One word of caution. Whenever regulatory/reporting agencies are mentioned, it tends to be a turn off to executives that you are petitioning for help.

Examples: AG, BBB, DOT

Mar 23, 2019
Well, that was quick. Dell wasted no time in calling me back to tell me they wouldn't help me. It's the same guy in Advanced Resolutions I've been dealing with all along.

Mar 23, 2019
Given that it only took a couple hours for them to get back to me with no intention of rectifying the issue, I'm pretty sure I'll just get more of the same, so I'm not going to waste anyone else's time. All the evidence I've compiled shows that these guys have dug in since day one. Last night it occurred to me that their position changed from, "there are no hardware problems with your PC" to "we don't support user upgrades". This tells me they're looking for excuses to NOT fix my laptop.

Jan 6, 2015
I offer one final thought about contacting the CEO:

"I am reluctantly writing to you in order to finalize my attempt to hold your support department accountable for the damage to my laptop while in their possession. The short version is that I sent a working laptop in for a keyboard replacement, and when it came back to me it crashed on boot up. The cause of this issue then became a debate. They blame a "defective" memory module in slot B, but this was working before they took possession. Subsequent testing has proven that slot B is actually defective. But your support personnel will not acknowledge responsibility, instead blaming a "user upgrade", which is permitted under the warranty terms.

Is this what is to be expected of Dell going forward? Please advise so I can determine my future business dealings with Dell.

Thank you for your time and attention."

Mar 23, 2019
I offer one final thought about contacting the CEO:

"I am reluctantly writing to you in order to finalize my attempt to hold your support department accountable for the damage to my laptop while in their possession. The short version is that I sent a working laptop in for a keyboard replacement, and when it came back to me it crashed on boot up. The cause of this issue then became a debate. They blame a "defective" memory module in slot B, but this was working before they took possession. Subsequent testing has proven that slot B is actually defective. But your support personnel will not acknowledge responsibility, instead blaming a "user upgrade", which is permitted under the warranty terms.

Is this what is to be expected of Dell going forward? Please advise so I can determine my future business dealings with Dell.

Thanks for this. I'm literally cutting and pasting, and sending it to Mr. Dell. I'm not expending any more effort to try to get Dell to cooperate - it's been FOUR months since this adventure began. I expect this will get me a call from the Advanced Resolution guy again, which will be brief.

Mar 23, 2019
Terry, have you heard yet from the CEO?
I've been on vacation, so I just sent that message to Karen Quintos, the Chief Customer Officer. This will be my final executive email - especially if I get a call from the Advanced Resolution Group again. I'll keep you posted.

Jan 17, 2019
For what it's worth from a now retired PC service technician/desktop analyst, had this laptop been mine to diagnoses and repair, after finding an issue with memory in DOMM slot 2 I would have not just decided the memory in that slot was defective. I would have tested the machine with 2 known good DIMM's to confirm the issue. (I expect Dell has a few of those lying around.) It appears the tech was either lazy or overworked and took the easiest way out. Probably the latter. I remember when I was working in phone tech support we were evaluated on how many service tickets we closed; not on how many problems we actually solved.

For several years the corporation I worked for used Dell as a supplier for our laptops. We had a number of motherboard failures, but because of the sheer number of machines we bought from them they would just ship a new motherboard to us, and I would install it.

It's been a few years, but at the time Dell had a different department that handled corporate warranty claims as opposed to the one handling consumer issues. Had a couple of friends who owned Dell products they purchased on their own, and they had many problems dealing with service problems. Apparently that has not changed.

Mar 23, 2019
For what it's worth from a now retired PC service technician/desktop analyst, had this laptop been mine to diagnoses and repair, after finding an issue with memory in DOMM slot 2 I would have not just decided the memory in that slot was defective. I would have tested the machine with 2 known good DIMM's to confirm the issue. (I expect Dell has a few of those lying around.) It appears the tech was either lazy or overworked and took the easiest way out. Probably the latter. I remember when I was working in phone tech support we were evaluated on how many service tickets we closed; not on how many problems we actually solved.

For several years the corporation I worked for used Dell as a supplier for our laptops. We had a number of motherboard failures, but because of the sheer number of machines we bought from them they would just ship a new motherboard to us, and I would install it.

It's been a few years, but at the time Dell had a different department that handled corporate warranty claims as opposed to the one handling consumer issues. Had a couple of friends who owned Dell products they purchased on their own, and they had many problems dealing with service problems. Apparently that has not changed.
I used to work for Microsoft and we used Dell almost exclusively 20 years ago. Presumably Dell treated MS well, since those were the only computers I worked with after 1997 or so.

Dell's customer rating with the BBB is 1 star. Every review I saw was submitted by a consumer, not a corporation. This is in stark contrast to their A+ rating with the BBB. Presumably, that rating was earned via their business dealings in the Enterprise space. I'm sure people have had positive customer service dealings with Dell - and frankly, until this incident, I was a huge fan - especially with their Sales department. Then again, I'd never had a computer repaired by Dell. Never again.

The idiotic thing is, if I tell my story to only two people, and it convinces them to to buy a computer elsewhere, Dell loses money. If I post my experience on social media - much like I've done here - how many other people may be convinced to buy a computer elsewhere?

Mar 23, 2019
I've been on vacation, so I just sent that message to Karen Quintos, the Chief Customer Officer. This will be my final executive email - especially if I get a call from the Advanced Resolution Group again. I'll keep you posted.
I just got another call from the Advanced Resolution guy again. I was busy and didn't answer it at the time. I'm guessing emails sent directly to Executives are bounced to the appropriate department immediately, without review.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I just got another call from the Advanced Resolution guy again. I was busy and didn't answer it at the time. I'm guessing emails sent directly to Executives are bounced to the appropriate department immediately, without review.
What a lovely corporate policy. I always admired Michael Dell for what he built and his willingness to come back when Dell started to slide. I can only hope that someone in his office sees what's going on before Dell becomes one of those tech companies that nobody trusts.

Jan 6, 2015
Terry, I have a request that may benefit you and help us with some research we're doing. If you're willing, please copy/paste the following (from post #67) into an email and send to: michael.dell@dell.com

Mar 23, 2019
Terry, I have a request that may benefit you and help us with some research we're doing. If you're willing, please copy/paste the following (from post #67) into an email and send to: michael.dell@dell.com

Gladly. I haven't spoken to the Advanced Resolution guy yet. I'll email Mr. Dell once I get off the phone with ARG, since I expect the same result.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Gladly. I haven't spoken to the Advanced Resolution guy yet. I'll email Mr. Dell once I get off the phone with ARG, since I expect the same result.
So now you're calling him the ARG? You've dealt with him so often and for so long that you're on "nickname" basis? If you don't receive your daily call telling you to get lost, you wonder if he's OK? Gotta admit, Terry, this is funny. I think VoR's letter is absolutely wonderful, I don't see how anyone in the Executive Suite could not grasp the situation in 5 minutes and be appalled at what their people are doing to the customers.

Mar 23, 2019
So now you're calling him the ARG? You've dealt with him so often and for so long that you're on "nickname" basis? If you don't receive your daily call telling you to get lost, you wonder if he's OK? Gotta admit, Terry, this is funny. I think VoR's letter is absolutely wonderful, I don't see how anyone in the Executive Suite could not grasp the situation in 5 minutes and be appalled at what their people are doing to the customers.
I use ARG because I'm too lazy to repeatedly type "Advanced Resolution Group". I choose not to share the guy's name because I don't think he's necessarily the villain, but he certainly isn't providing customer service. Whatever happened to "the customer is always right"?

I have a strong suspicion letters like mine get filtered out by an administrative assistant and bounced back to Advanced Resolutions, which is Dell's top-tier, end-all-and-be-all of Customer Service. Given the consistency of Dell's inaction, I'd say no executive has actually been made aware of my situation.
I agree that VoR has been amazingly helpful throughout this process. I've learned a lot!