Delivery to hotel

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 28, 2016
Is anyone familiar with hotels charging you to pick up a package? I called the hotel and asked about how to send something USPS, they gave me the street address but diverted it the their FedEx business center where it was held hostage for $15 without my agreeing to this service. It's a scam.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Is anyone familiar with hotels charging you to pick up a package? I called the hotel and asked about how to send something USPS, they gave me the street address but diverted it the their FedEx business center where it was held hostage for $15 without my agreeing to this service. It's a scam.
I've been waiting for this subject to come up. I spent a couple of nights at the Hyatt Regency in Minneapolis recently. Right up front on their website they state that they charge for delivery of a package. Whaaaaaat? It's tough to conceive a more hostile policy towards their guests. I assumed that their GM used to work for an airline. I can't imagine what they are thinking, except they've had a bad experience accepting a package for a guest in the past. I'm eager to know what my colleagues think about this. And to steer you to a different delivery address without telling you that you will be charged for the service is just plain nasty.

Jan 28, 2016
I have someone from the hotel's Corp office working on this, so I'm not making names yet. But...... This is wrong if not disclosed upfront. I called and my wife mentioned it upon check-in. Isn't it a federal law about diverting mail?

Dec 11, 2016
I have to say I'm a little conflicted about this. It seems like such a simple thing to have a package, or luggage, or mail delivered to the hotel. Yet at the same time, especially for a larger hotel that may have a lot of business customers and people attending conferences, there may be multiple packages that the hotel has to keep track of and in a secure location. Either way, it doesn't seem right to be completely blindsided at pickup. Are you a member, or do you otherwise have access to the business center as part of your stay? If so, can they waive the fee?

Jan 6, 2015
My search turned up no standard answer, but revealed several possibilities:
  • Mail/package handling seems to be hotel-by-hotel based
  • Some charge nothing while others charge after a certain number of packages
  • Those who charge for everything typically have a separate "processing center" for mail/package handling
So I don't think this is necessarily a "scam", but I do think they should have advised you of it when you inquired about sending something via USPS ...

Jan 28, 2016
It was sent to the hotel’s business Center run by FedEx. I called and my wife inquired about receiving a package upon check-in. My follow up calls and my wife’s experience in the business center lead us both to believe they don’t tell the guests on purpose, therefore a scam.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@J Tonk Unfortunately, I've seen this a lot. Normally associated with hotels that do a large meetings / convention business. They want to be paid to do your material handling.

The Federal Law brings up an interesting point but I think where you'll get caught is that the package was sent in care of the hotel. They can probably do anything you want. You can file a complaint with the Postal Inspectors if you want. Here's their website https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/

Jan 11, 2017
Big businesses, governement offices usually do not get street address mail delivery from USPS. (Often there is a warning not to send mail to the street address. There is no federal mandate to deliver to a street address. )
The person, who gave you streeet address without mentioning that it will be send to the FedEx led business center made the mistake. She/he should have told you about the fee.
As for charging for it? If it was a big hotel (I assume), then to expect to handle hundreds of mails/packages daily - it does require considerable extra work.

Jan 6, 2015
It is also likely, if not probable that those who answer incoming calls are unaware of the specifics surrounding the charges. They may just know that it is possible without knowing exactly how it works. I've seen this frequently throughout my career ...

Jan 28, 2016
Big businesses, governement offices usually do not get street address mail delivery from USPS. (Often there is a warning not to send mail to the street address. There is no federal mandate to deliver to a street address. )
The person, who gave you streeet address without mentioning that it will be send to the FedEx led business center made the mistake. She/he should have told you about the fee.
As for charging for it? If it was a big hotel (I assume), then to expect to handle hundreds of mails/packages daily - it does require considerable extra work.
Based on my return call the management knew where it was being sent but the frontline CSR did not, nor did many of the hotel guests in line with my wife trying to pick-up. They're doing it on purpose.

Jul 13, 2016
The Disney-owned hotels at Walt Disney World started charging for package delivery some years back. Guests staying in the time share villas would have large Costco or Sam's Club deliveries and flats of water delivered. They also have 2-3 convention hotels there and the collateral, displays, etc do take up quite a bit of space in the hotel's bell services area.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
So now, shipping your luggage in lieu of checking at airport means not only do you have to pack ahead of time (however many days it will take for the transport to your destination,) you also have to:
- get it to the transport vendor (UPS/FEDX/USPS),
- pay for the transport + insurance
- pay for the hotel to hold it for you
- hope that it arrives on time, intact.
Sounds like checking it at the airport is once again the best option.

Jan 11, 2017
A couple of options. Smaller hotels do not charge for occasional mail/package pick up. Moving our kids to college we sent packages to college town hotels. Nobody ever asked anything for the pick up. (We always called ahead, to be sure.)
If you send it with Fed-Ex or UPS (both have comparable prices to USPS's) you can address it to a Fed Ex or a UPS stores - free pick up.
If you stay longer in a place, to open a mail box for your stay in a post office or a UPS store might be cheaper than 1-2 delivery charge from the hotel.
(Our solution: Southwest Airline - 90+% of our domestic flights to airports with SW dominance.)

Jan 28, 2016
We got the fee waived but that’s not the issue. The hotel knew that the mail sent there was to be diverted to the FedEx business Center and they failed to disclose it in a phone call and upon check in. The delay caused when my wife went to retrieve the package caused her to miss an important meeting at the hotel. Eventually the hotel comped her much in excess of the $15 fee. Wouldn’t have been more reasonable to not have the fee? Sure but the many others who grumble and pay are worth the brief aggravation I caused. It’s a scam and it needs to end. Tell me up front.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Since you didn’t disclose the name of the hotel, I think you should see if the hotel is looking Steve in our company contact list. If it is, this is something the corporate offices should know about. I urge you to use our company contacts and write to them about the hotel not telling you about the charge. It should be disclosed.

Jan 28, 2016
I did contact the corporate office and they seems responsive to training staff and put me on the phone with someone at the hotel who made us a gesture of goodwill(free food/drink). The hotel, the Venetian is owned by the Sands and I hope they truly act on this. I did contact the Nevada AG to see if there’s a violation. We got the package for free, they promised to train their staff and free food for the aggravation. Now let’s see what the Corp office does. Their contacts are not in your directory I just googled it.

Jan 11, 2017
So the Venice? it's package delivery methods, fees are fully disclosed on their website.
https://www.venetian.com/resort/amenities/business-center.html
Click on down the "Click here for information about sending packages"
On the other hand I am not surprised, that the csr on the phone or at the check-in did not really have a clue. (They should have.)
Having untrained staff is a violation? I do not know. But shoud be.... Vegas hotels seem to be the worst.
My recommendation, next time check first the hotel's website - usually the package/mail acceptance policy is under thee FAQ (can I send packages etc.) or ammenities.
Do not trust in anything that is not in writing. In Vegas everything is said to bee free/complemantary :-(

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2016
I really had no need to check with their website. The supervisor i spoke with at FedEx said the same thing. How is a consumer supposed to know that after checking with a CSR on the phone and the checkin people that I should have checked the website? I didn't contract with FedEx, but the USPS. There needs to be transparency with charges, like the resort fees or minibar. Think of the thousands of people that they did this to and didn't inform.