"Delayed Baggage"

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 3, 2018
Hello,
I am writing on behalf of my daughter. She left for Spain August 30, 2018. She flew out on Delta Airlines to Iceland, (10pm-9:10am arrival in Iceland), then had a layover until 19:50pm with a flight on Norwegian Airlines to arrive at Alicante, Spain at 02:25, September 1st, 2018 for the school year. She did everything right. She arrived way in advance to the Minneapolis airport. Had her baggage with an her name and home address on a tag, and her baggage NEVER even left MPLS! She told me she noticed that the baggage representative never put her baggage on the baggage belt? Anyways, initially I called Delta baggage delay number and was on hold for 1hour 50minutes when finally it was my turn in the que and a representative goes hello, hello...., call back 1-800-325-8224 when you are ready, and he hung up on me? Then my husband called the number and was on hold for 55 more minutes, but actually talked to a customer service representative who told him that our daughter's baggage was in Iceland's airport baggage claim 2. Yesterday, my husband called again and was on hold for 25 minutes and then only to be told her baggage had been put on an Icelandic Air airplane and her baggage was sitting in Madrid Airport, and they "thought" they were going to send it via ground transport to Alicante, Spain which is 3.5hours away from Madrid. Then my husband called the baggage delay customer service number again today and was on hold for 20 more minutes only to find out that nothing has been done! The online tracking shows it is still in Iceland Baggage Claim 2! We were also given phone numbers for Iceland Airport, and then for Madrid Airport to try and call. Why should we have to call these airports? It was Delta Airlines screw up! We keep getting vague answers as to the whereabouts of her baggage! No one seems to actually know where the heck her baggage is located! Neither my husband, nor I speak Spanish, and our daughter has started her College classes today. Here's another kicker, today we were given a phone number that was supposedly the Madrid airport. So we sent a text to our daughter with that phone number to try and call from her end, and she asked us where did the Delta delayed baggage customer service rep. say the number was for? Because when my daughter and her host parents called it, and it was someone speaking French? So that person had to go find someone who speaks Spanish, and then they went to find someone who speaks English! This is so frustrating and awful customer service! Our daughter needs some of her medications and her contact lens that are located in the baggage. Yes, she had a few things in her carry on bag, but not all of them. This is just so frustrating. Any answers or help would be helpful. Thank you.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
If she needs medications she should see a local or school physician and get new prescriptions ASAP to be filled at her location. It is not likely that she will get her luggage soon enough and she should not wait until the last minute. If she has prescriptions at (your) home she may get a local pharmacy to fill them but she should not depend on that.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
First- NEVER pack medications in checked luggage! That should only be in a carry on along with anything valuable. As the above poster said- your daughter should see a dr. ASAP to refill the prescriptions.

You and your daughter should not have to be tracking this - Delta should be doing this for you.

Here are our company contacts for Delta:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/delta-airlines/

Use e-mail and contact Delta - that works better than calls.

Read the company contacts page about how to write and follow the instructions to escalate to Executives if needed. Let us know how you make out.

Nov 20, 2015
My inclination would be to call the airport in Iceland -if you haven't already- since Iceland was her final destination (from Delta's point of view). The luggage may be in limbo there. If it's not there, I'm not sure calling back frequently is going to help get it delivered any sooner. Per their website, Delta is very backed up on processing delayed and lost luggage claims because of all the recent weather delays. Twitter is also an option for communication if she's not heard anything in the next couple of days.

Nov 20, 2015
I don't think Norwegian has an interline agreement with Delta, but I may be wrong. I just assumed she knew to pick up her luggage in Iceland to re-check it, but it didn't arrive while she was there and she flew on to Spain without it.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2015
If this was 2 separate tix, they may need to hire a baggage transport company. Unless the baggage arrived late in Iceland. Also, your daughter needs to be asking for help, we do not typically help 3rd parties, as not all the info is readily available.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I don't think Norwegian has an interline agreement with Delta, but I may be wrong. I just assumed she knew to pick up her luggage in Iceland to re-check it, but it didn't arrive while she was there and she flew on to Spain without it.
That’s my question. Because then it’s not Deltas Issue except to get the bag to Iceland. It makes a big difference because if it was 2 separate tickets, Delta only was responsible for getting the bag to Iceland.

And Mom- Tanya is correct- we need your daughter here to answer questions. We don’t do third party requests because you can’t answer all the questions we have.

Sep 19, 2015
What was the European number Delta gave? Air France handles Delta baggage issues in Europe which may be why they answered in French.

I do believe Delta has an obligation to get the bag to Spain — (same as if someone takes a cruise the next day and no luggage) — but it may take time.

They do not need to hire a baggage transport company this is on Delta.

Sep 3, 2018
If she needs medications she should see a local or school physician and get new prescriptions ASAP to be filled at her location. It is not likely that she will get her luggage soon enough and she should not wait until the last minute. If she has prescriptions at (your) home she may get a local pharmacy to fill them but she should not depend on that.
Hello,
She did pack some of her medication in her carry on, but her contact lens for the year and other medications for acne for the year were in her checked baggage.

Sep 3, 2018
What was the European number Delta gave? Air France handles Delta baggage issues in Europe which may be why they answered in French.

I do believe Delta has an obligation to get the bag to Spain — (same as if someone takes a cruise the next day and no luggage) — but it may take time.

They do not need to hire a baggage transport company this is on Delta.
Hello,
Just found out from my daughter that the Delta number given was from Delta rep in France, as all Delta baggage issues in Europe are handled by Delta France or Air France. I agree that Delta has an obligation to get her bag to her in Alicante, Spain, where she is living. NOT Madrid, Spain. It is just so frustrating, because NO One seems to know what the heck is going on.

Sep 3, 2018
If this was 2 separate tix, they may need to hire a baggage transport company. Unless the baggage arrived late in Iceland. Also, your daughter needs to be asking for help, we do not typically help 3rd parties, as not all the info is readily available.
Hello,
The baggage never left Minneapolis Airport with her on her flight to Iceland in the first place. She did in fact go the baggage claim area herself to pick up her baggage in Iceland, and that is how she found out it never even left Minneapolis, MN with her on her Delta flight in the first place. She has a file ref. # that she was given, which she gave to us.

Sep 3, 2018
First- NEVER pack medications in checked luggage! That should only be in a carry on along with anything valuable. As the above poster said- your daughter should see a dr. ASAP to refill the prescriptions.

You and your daughter should not have to be tracking this - Delta should be doing this for you.

Here are our company contacts for Delta:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/delta-airlines/

Use e-mail and contact Delta - that works better than calls.

Read the company contacts page about how to write and follow the instructions to escalate to Executives if needed. Let us know how you make out.
Thanks Neil. My daughter has been trying from her end to locate the luggage as well. It shows that via world tracer via Icelandair that it was on flight F1598/01Sept, which would have arrived at Madrid airport at 10:36pm on Sept 1st. I agree with you that Delta should be looking into this for us, but their tracking system still shows that her baggage is located in Iceland, which according to Icelandair's world tracer it is not. Which makes me not have a lot of faith in Delta. My daughter did pack a few things in her carry on. Not quite sure I understand why Delta did not put her luggage on Norwegian Airlines that flies directly to Alicante as opposed to putting it on the Icelandair to Madrid. Now, there is another step in this big mess!

Sep 19, 2015
Thanks Neil. My daughter has been trying from her end to locate the luggage as well. It shows that via world tracer via Icelandair that it was on flight F1598/01Sept, which would have arrived at Madrid airport at 10:36pm on Sept 1st. I agree with you that Delta should be looking into this for us, but their tracking system still shows that her baggage is located in Iceland, which according to Icelandair's world tracer it is not. Which makes me not have a lot of faith in Delta. My daughter did pack a few things in her carry on. Not quite sure I understand why Delta did not put her luggage on Norwegian Airlines that flies directly to Alicante as opposed to putting it on the Icelandair to Madrid. Now, there is another step in this big mess!
Norwegian likely does not have an agreement with Delta to take the luggage, so I suspect that Delta had little choice on what airline to use.

Dec 19, 2014
Hindsight is 20/20, but I do not believe you did everything right.

Based on what you wrote, your daughter took Delta from MSP to REK, then Norwegian airline from REK to ALC.
Delta does not have a baggage interline agreement with Norwegian. In fact, Norwegian does not have any agreements with Delta, so the itinerary could not have been booked on a linked ticket. Is there a specific reason why your daughter did not book a single ticket from MSP to ALC, rather than book separate tickets through REK without an interline agreement?

Suppose the MSP to REK flight was cancelled? Then it really becomes a mess because DL will be obligated to fly you to REK and Norwegian will not accommodate you on the flight from REK to ALC. Fortunately, in this situation, it's just the bag.

So, I beg you on any subsequent trips to book a single itinerary, whether it is ALC to MSP or MAD to MSP and do not book separate itineraries, even if it saves money. When it works, it saves money, but when it doesn't, it rapidly becomes a headache.

DL was obligated to deliver your bags to REK, not to ALC. It seems that Delta has accepted responsibility to deliver the bag to Spain, and it should make good on this delivery. You should also get your baggage fee refunded, but Delta CANNOT be responsible for your daughter missing the items packed in the bag or subsequent damages as the result of the delay of items in the bag.

What should you do? At this time, start a paper trail. Start by communicating with Delta in writing.

The end result should be that your daughter gets the bag delivered in Alicante, and any baggage fees refunded. Delta may throw in a voucher or some "funny money" like $50-100 voucher if you are persistent but remain professional and unemotional in your correspondence.

Mar 17, 2015
I also want to point out that your daughter, and you, are going to need lots of patience. Europe works a bit differently at times and does not always agree with what we find urgent or timely. At least she is in Spain and not Italy, I would shudder to think of ever getting the luggage delivered to the correct location.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree with my colleagues. We have company contacts for Delta on our Company Contact Page. Read the information on the bottom of the compaby contacts page and have your daughter begin writing. She has to do it- they usually won’t deal with anyone other than the ticket holder.

I normally would say Deltas responsibility is to get the bag to Iceland but if they had loaded it on the plane, she wouldn’t be in this predicament. So I believe Delta has an obligation to get that bag to her.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Hello,
She did pack some of her medication in her carry on, but her contact lens for the year and other medications for acne for the year were in her checked baggage.
I would work on getting her a month's supply of her medications and contact lenses right now, even if you have to send to her by FedEx. There is a distinct possibility that her bag will never be recovered, or that it will take weeks to get it to her. If she needs medications and contact send it soon, as well as a pair of glasses if she does not have a pair with her.

Also be prepared to buy her medications at full list price, as her health insurance will not fill another prescription if she lost her year's supply. Be advised that list prices on medications can be 5 to 25 times the co-pay with your health plan.

To reiterate what others have said, NEVER put medications, contacts, passports/ documents, money, or jewelry into checked bags. Once the airline takes your bag you should assume you will never see it again and need to plan your travel based on what you have in your carryon.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
“Article 72 of the aforementioned Law 29 of July 26th, 2009 and implementing regulations establish that only pharmaceutical laboratories can import medication. Therefore, individuals outside of the country, cannot send medicines because it is not possible to guarantee their quality and security.”

If someone needs medication in Europe best to get it done there. Cost is less and no issues with customs.

Spanish law does not allow mailing of medication.