Defective Samsung Dryer

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 25, 2021
In 2016, we purchased a Samsung Model #DV45H7000GW/A2 clothes dryer through Home Depot in Windsor, California. Soon after its purchase, the dryer developed thumping noises during operation. Apparently, the dryer drum was out of round. Aside from the noise, the dryer operated well enough until recently. Now the drum is cracked and actually shreds clothes.

This model, along with 164 other models manufactured for Samsung, is the subject of a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court (DeFrank, et al. v. Samsung Electronics America Inc., Case No. 2:19-cv-21401-MRB) alleging fraudulent and deceptive marketing. The suit seeks remedy under a number of states' consumer protection laws. Specifically, the California law applicable to us is the California Unfair Competition Law, Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code §§ 17200 et seq., the California False Advertising Law, Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code §§ 17500 et seq. and the California Consumer Legal Remedies Act, Cal. Civ. Code §§ 1750 et seq.

It’s plainly evident from public records that this dryer model contains a defect arising from its design and/or manufacture, most likely the use of thin-gauge steel in the drum and/or a defective fly wheel. These defective and/or faulty materials cause the dryer drum to crack.

Public records also indicate that Samsung has long known of these defects. Consumer complaints, most particularly on Samsung’s own online forum, are plentiful. Complaints have been prominently lodged on Samsung’s Amazon.com storefront as well as third-party consumer complaint forums.

Based on these reports in the public domain, Samsung has received calls, communications, correspondence and warranty claims from consumers regarding the defect with this and similar dryer models for years.

Yet, in the face of this knowledge, Samsung is unconscionably limiting the warranty period for manufacturing defects, forcing consumers to choose between paying hundreds of dollars for labor and replacement parts or buying a new dryer well before the end of appliance's expected useful life. This frustrates a consumer’s express purpose in purchasing a “durable good.”

According to H&R Block, the useful life of a dryer is 10-13 years. Ours conked out at just 5 years.

We contacted Samsung Electronics America's Vice President of Customer Care, Christopher Kim, by e-mail, laying out our situation and requesting the company to either provide gratis repairs to our dryer or provide a suitable replacement unit.

Samsung's Extra Care representative, Stacy D., responded to our e-mail, informing us that because we were outside the one-year warranty period, repairs could only effected at our cost. The cost of such repairs (parts and labor) approximates our original cost for the dryer. No replacement unit would be provided by the company, she added.

We've been stymied by Samsung's intransigence. Having two children in diapers, we cannot not be without a working dryer but we're chary of the Samsung brand now. Accordingly, we've purchased a replacement dryer of a different brand.

What more can we we do?

Aug 29, 2018
It sounds like your issue is beyond customer advocacy and is in the bailiwick of the class action suit you mentioned. You may want to get in touch with the lawyers in that suit to see if you can be considered part of the class.

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
Sadly, this is par for the course for most modern kitchen appliances. They only come with a one year warranty! It is important that as soon as you notice something isn't right- the thumping noise-that you seek warranty coverage before it expires. Beyond the first year there may be some coverage for parts only, up to about the 5th year. Have you attempted to obtain any warranty coverage at all?

There are lots of posts on this forum about appliances that perished long before they should have. In these instances the companies usually provide a discount or credit toward the purchase of a new product.

Apr 25, 2021
Did you have the dryer serviced while it was still under warranty?
We did not need service for our dryer during its first year (and only year of warranty coverage). The issues we experienced began much later (~4.5 years after purchase).

Apr 25, 2021
A
Sadly, this is par for the course for most modern kitchen appliances. They only come with a one year warranty! It is important that as soon as you notice something isn't right- the thumping noise-that you seek warranty coverage before it expires. Beyond the first year there may be some coverage for parts only, up to about the 5th year. Have you attempted to obtain any warranty coverage at all?

There are lots of posts on this forum about appliances that perished long before they should have. In these instances the companies usually provide a discount or credit toward the purchase of a new product.
Unfortunately our experience with Samsung customer service didn't include an offer for discount our credit.

Apr 25, 2021
It sounds like your issue is beyond customer advocacy and is in the bailiwick of the class action suit you mentioned. You may want to get in touch with the lawyers in that suit to see if you can be considered part of the class.
Thank you, we are looking into this option as it does seem that our model is included in the class action suit.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We did not need service for our dryer during its first year (and only year of warranty coverage). The issues we experienced began much later (~4.5 years after purchase).
But you said this-

“Soon after its purchase, the dryer developed thumping noises during operation. Apparently, the dryer drum was out of round.”

Why didn’t you have that serviced before the warranty was over?

Apr 25, 2021
My apologies. I should have provided a more specific timeline. We noticed the sounds a couple of years after purchase. "Soon" was a relative term given the anticipated lifetime for the appliance.

The sound didn't seem to be affecting the operation of the machine and it wasn't until even later that we could see the drum was out of round.

I hope that is a bit more clear.

Feb 21, 2018
Samsung makes a great phone...but that doesn't translate well to appliances. I have two family members who have invested in Samsung for their kitchen and regretted the decision.

When my husband and I went looking at a 'true' appliance-only store (no big box chain), there wasn't a single Samsung or LG unit on the floor. The owner told us it was because he would not stand behind them.

I think pursuing the avenue to see if you fall under the class action is certainly a worthy step, but I think your request to either receive repairs or a 'suitable replacement' may fall on deaf ears, for these reasons: the dryer is (by an assumed 10-year life) already at it's half life. Using a figure out of the air of $800 as what you may have paid, the dryer is now worth $400 or less. I don't know how much a drum repair would cost, but I have to believe with parts and labor it may exceed what the current value of the unit is.

For the same reason...I think asking for a 'suitable replacement' is also going nowhere. You did get 5 years out of the dryer, so to ask for a replacement now is unreasonable. I believe the likelihood of any type of replacement or cash refund is slim, and with a well-crafted appeal may result in a credit towards a new Samsung dryer.

But I repeat what I said at the start...Samsung makes a great phone, but that doesn't mean they make great appliances. I'd be pursuing participation in the Class Action, but cut my losses and buy a different brand dryer.