Defective paint

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 7, 2019
Paint is lifting completely off of the hood of my car. I was told at the Toyota body shop it was a bad paint job covered by warranty, and went to sevEral dealers for correction which they refuse to do.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You aren’t giving us enough information . How old is the car and is it still under warranty? I had a 5 year old Hyundai that had the entire clear cost on both bumpers peel off and rust spots formed on the doors. It was out of warranty and Hyundai wouldn’t do a thing about it, they claimed environmental factors can do this to the paint.

I am not clear in why they won’t correct it if it’s under warranty. What is the reasoning?

Here are our contacts for Toyota:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/toyota/

Here is how to write:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Sep 19, 2015
Paint is lifting completely off of the hood of my car. I was told at the Toyota body shop it was a bad paint job covered by warranty, and went to sevEral dealers for correction which they refuse to do.
Why didn’t the Toyota body shop that said it was a bad paint job do something about it?

May 1, 2018
I was told at the Toyota body shop it was a bad paint job covered by warranty, and went to sevEral [sic] dealers for correction which they refuse to do.
  • Did you go back to the place who performed the warranty paint job?
  • What reason did they give for refusing to fix the issue?
  • How long ago was the car painted?

Jun 7, 2019
I added a picture
You aren’t giving us enough information . How old is the car and is it still under warranty? I had a 5 year old Hyundai that had the entire clear cost on both bumpers peel off and rust spots formed on the doors. It was out of warranty and Hyundai wouldn’t do a thing about it, they claimed environmental factors can do this to the paint.

I am not clear in why they won’t correct it if it’s under warranty. What is the reasoning?

Here are our contacts for Toyota:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/toyota/

Here is how to write:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/
It is a 2009 RAV4, kept in the garage always. It started as one spot about the size of a dime. I tried to get the dealer(s) to repair/correct long before the warranty expired and was denied by more that one even though there is evidence of many problems with the paint on Toyota vehicles. When I had some body repair work done I asked for a quote on the paint and they said that it was a defective paint job and should have been considered warranty work and to go back to the dealer to request correction/repair. Again I was denied. There’s is no rust, the paint just lifts complete off of the car down to bare steel.

Attachments

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Use our company contacts and start writing to Toyota using the thread I linked. You are going to have a tough time with a 10 year old vehicle.

But please note, the body shop is not always 100% reliable. The guy rust looked at the rust on my car claimed that there must have been damage when the car was delivered, the dealer fixed it and the paint and repair job was bad. I found that hard to believe. My wife and I bought our Hyundai’s the same day in
2013 and while I got rid of mine, hers is starting to pit and rust as well.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
You are right, this situation should have been taken care of long ago while the vehicle was still under warranty. I can't imagine Toyota repainting a 10 year old car at this point. But it doesn't hurt to try. If you like the truck and think it's going to last several more years, I'd just get it repainted and move on. Neil outlined the way to write to Toyota. Good luck.

Jun 7, 2019
Thank you, I started trying to get it repaired long before the warranty ended, they just kept ignoring me and the whenit was just about up denied me. There is absolutely no rust. I will try with the contacts, though I have little faith in Toyota and will never buy another one. Again thank you!

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Thank you, I started trying to get it repaired long before the warranty ended, they just kept ignoring me and the whenit was just about up denied me. There is absolutely no rust. I will try with the contacts, though I have little faith in Toyota and will never buy another one. Again thank you!
Comments like " I have little faith in Toyota and will never buy another one." will guarantee Toyota will not help you. They have no incentive to do so.
What warranty do/did you have and what was the coverage for the paint? A 10-year-old car is well beyond the expected life of the original paint to be in good condition.
Your best option is to have the area repainted.

Jun 7, 2019
As much as I love my Toyota, I have not had good service with the dealers in this market. Oh well, I will paint it myself just took a chance with this site.