Damn Phone Solicitors...

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
The scourge of the 21st century! The funniest ones are those that spoof my own number. Now, why would I answer a call from myself? I have several tactics for spam calls: If it's from an 800 number or an out of area number that I don't know, I pick up and don't say a word. It's usually a robocall and hangs up after a few seconds of silence. After a few times, I think they give up. If it might be from someone I know, I answer with "Who's calling?" If I don't get an immediate answer, or if it's a robocall, I hang up immediately. If a human answers, I really have fun--particularly if the English-language-challenged person purports be be from Microsoft or "Windows." I can give him a discourse about armadillos (fascinating creatures), I ask which computer he's calling about and pretend great confusion until he gives up, I deny having a computer at all, I pretend I can't understand a word he says (sometimes true),...you get the picture. There's no point in trying to report the infractions of the Do Not Call list--you never have the originating phone number, and the perps are often calling from a foreign country anyway. The apps like NoMoRobo work only on VoIP, not on old-fashioned landlines. It would be nice if AT&T did something to block spam calls for their landline customers, but I guess it would negatively effect the bottom line.
Hilarious! I don't think the good guys will ever win this game. Think about it: someone is buying whatever they're selling, or they wouldn't be paying people to call. Much better for our mental health to figure out how not to be annoyed with the calls if we can't stop them. A nice Asian lady is babbling into my cell phone on a regular basis, I can chose to laugh or to fume. I have no idea what she's saying, therefore I have no chance of stopping her.

Feb 11, 2018
Hilarious! I don't think the good guys will ever win this game. Think about it: someone is buying whatever they're selling, or they wouldn't be paying people to call. Much better for our mental health to figure out how not to be annoyed with the calls if we can't stop them. A nice Asian lady is babbling into my cell phone on a regular basis, I can chose to laugh or to fume. I have no idea what she's saying, therefore I have no chance of stopping her.
Yes, apparently some people do respond, but the threshhold for success is astonishingly low. And with robocalls--it's so incredibly cheap that the threshhold is even lower. Try the armadillo lecture.

Mar 23, 2015
Is this really Marriott or a vacation club or a scammer pretending to be Marriott? I stayed at two Marriotts last year and thankfully have not received a spam call from them. I do get the calls from the "IRS" about all those arrest warrants out for me......,
Everytime I stay at a Hilton owned hotel, I start getting the ones claiming to be from them and offering to pay "for most of your next vacation." etc.. Or offering me a cruise. Argh.. I don't think it's Hilton calling, but I DO think Hilton provides their guest list or sells it to their "related" vendors because it is always within 2-4 weeks of staying at one the calls start.

Oct 10, 2018
Norobo has reduced spam calls 97% here but someone in our region is spoofing names / numbers (using our state university; local hospital; etc) so it's getting more difficult to differentiate OK from crap. Plus, we've blocked its server but this person must have many..... Any comments?

Oct 7, 2018
First time on this forum. Thanks for so many replies to my problem. The Nomorobo thing sounds good but gets mixed reviews getting worse in later years. I suspect that it is a thing of the past. Yes, I also suspect that Marriott would like these things to go away also. I guess I'll just vent my anger at the toll station on the bridge and quit worrying about "just a phone call". Thank You...

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
As someone with nomorobo I can tell you we get at least 7 calls a day that are deflected. You know them because they ring one time and turn no more. Some days there are many more.

For the few that get past- all you need to do is report the number to the company and they get added to their list. I don’t know anyone I’ve told about this company that hasn’t had the same result.

Jul 27, 2016
As someone with nomorobo I can tell you we get at least 7 calls a day that are deflected. You know them because they ring one time and turn no more. Some days there are many more.

For the few that get past- all you need to do is report the number to the company and they get added to their list. I don’t know anyone I’ve told about this company that hasn’t had the same result.
This has been my experience as well. That being said, people's experience with the nomorobo cellphone app does appear to have been a lot spottier.