Damn Phone Solicitors...

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 7, 2018
It has been years and years since I have stayed at a Marriot Hotel and I vow that I shall never stay there again. How do I stop their phone spamcalls? I have been promised over and over that they will stop by every supervisor I can conjur. Any advice?... Thanks.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Is this really Marriott or a vacation club or a scammer pretending to be Marriott? I stayed at two Marriotts last year and thankfully have not received a spam call from them. I do get the calls from the "IRS" about all those arrest warrants out for me......,
I think you're right, Christina, I stay a lots of Hiltons but have never received a marketing(?) call from Hilton. Many from their affiliated companies tho. My fave was a lady who thought I should buy a condo on Central Park right beside the Plaza (an idea which had lots of appeal; we frequently visited Manhattan). After lots of questions, I realized that the project hadn't even broken ground yet. She got quite huffy when I told her only an idiot would buy something that was still in the planning process. I don't think I've ever received another call from Hilton Whomever.

Oct 3, 2018
Our land line has a block call feature and I will sometimes use it. For the cell, I will often list it as spam 1, etc.

I take those with a not going to let this make my day lousy because periodically my cell is erroneously listed for someone's bad debt so I get the bad debt collector calls. When I've had the number for like 10 plus years and then I receive these unpleasant messages ... sigh.

(and the IRS ones really make me laugh)

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Sign up with the Do Not Call registry too and report every spam call. It takes a long time for them to do anything but reporting is better than not. Then you can tell these companies you are on the Do Not Call registry and to stop calling. If they continue, report, report, report.

Apr 23, 2018
My two most hated ones are calls from India telling me that my "Microsoft operating system" needs to be repaired and the lady from "The credit card company," wanting I know not what, because I hang up as soon as I hear her cheery voice. NoMoRobo is a pretty effective system. It rejects anywhere from five to ten calls a day for me.

Sep 19, 2015
My two most hated ones are calls from India telling me that my "Microsoft operating system" needs to be repaired and the lady from "The credit card company," wanting I know not what, because I hang up as soon as I hear her cheery voice. NoMoRobo is a pretty effective system. It rejects anywhere from five to ten calls a day for me.
Oh Rachel from Card Services robocalling for years. I

My cell phone carrier lists some calls as “Scam Likely” as caller id.

Sep 26, 2015
We have caller ID. When a call shows no name or one you don't recognize, do NOT answer it. Scammers and sales people do not leave messages.
Nowadays, they make it look like from your area code. nomorobo.com is great.

Feb 11, 2018
The scourge of the 21st century! The funniest ones are those that spoof my own number. Now, why would I answer a call from myself? I have several tactics for spam calls: If it's from an 800 number or an out of area number that I don't know, I pick up and don't say a word. It's usually a robocall and hangs up after a few seconds of silence. After a few times, I think they give up. If it might be from someone I know, I answer with "Who's calling?" If I don't get an immediate answer, or if it's a robocall, I hang up immediately. If a human answers, I really have fun--particularly if the English-language-challenged person purports be be from Microsoft or "Windows." I can give him a discourse about armadillos (fascinating creatures), I ask which computer he's calling about and pretend great confusion until he gives up, I deny having a computer at all, I pretend I can't understand a word he says (sometimes true),...you get the picture. There's no point in trying to report the infractions of the Do Not Call list--you never have the originating phone number, and the perps are often calling from a foreign country anyway. The apps like NoMoRobo work only on VoIP, not on old-fashioned landlines. It would be nice if AT&T did something to block spam calls for their landline customers, but I guess it would negatively effect the bottom line.

Sep 19, 2015
It looks like NoMoRobo does not cover traditional copper wire landlines:

Nomorobo is currently supported on these VoIP landline carriers: Adams Cable Service, AT&T U-verse, BroadVoice/Phone Power, Comcast Xfinity, Cox, ECFiber.net, Frontier Communications, Ooma Premier, Optimum, RCN, Service Electric, SELCO, Spectrum (Formerly Time Warner, Spectrum, & Bright House), Sonic, SureWest,Verizon FIOS Digital Voice, Voip.ms, Voipo, Vonage, Wave, & 1-VoIP.

https://nomorobo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205761775-What-phone-carriers-are-supported-

There are still places that have the copper wire landlines.

Jul 27, 2016
Christina- I have Spectrum fiberoptic lines to house and copper wires within house. nomorobo.com works fine. NOT VOIP.
Spectrum (aka Charter or Time Warner Cable) is most definitely VoIP. Anything other than POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) from your local phone company is VoIP, including phone service from your cable company, or phone service delivered by fiber by your phone company (such as Verizon FiOS, AT&T Fiber, etc.).

PS You don't have fiber optics to your house; Spectrum is HFC (Hybrid Fiber Coax). There's fiber to a node, which services 50-500 homes, and coax copper cable from there to your house.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
Christina- I have Spectrum fiberoptic lines to house and copper wires within house. nomorobo.com works fine. NOT VOIP.
Copper wire service refers to the lines that come into the building, not what is wired into the walls.

There are two basic systems -- copper wires with their massive switch boxes and running copper wires from one switch box to another and use an analogue system, and fiber optics/VOIP which use a digital system.

So you are not on a traditional copper wire system, which is the old fashion way and still the only option in some rural parts.