Damaged new stroller.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 4, 2019
Alitalia broke the handle off our NEW Babyjogger double stroller, with cost/value of $691. They admit this. They requested documentation of cost and statement from manufacturer that it cannot be repaired. This was furnished. Their final offer is $400 for "depreciated value". I think not fair for new stroller they mishandled. This is Alitalia reference #6002905466. After no satisfaction was available from Alitalia Tel Aviv, I contacted Alitalia customer service in New York, twice, they said they will only defer to Tel Aviv. Am I unreasonable? I have pictures and copies of email correspondence. Thank you!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, Alitalia is still facing bankruptcy as it has been for a few years. And they have poor customer service as well.

I would suggest you use our company contacts and start up the executive chain. Tell the first executive that their offer is not good enough because this is a brand new stroller as you have shown by the receipt- there is no depreciation on a new stroller and you are requesting a full refund so you can purchase a new stroller.

This thread tells you how to escalate this one by one to the Executives.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
How "new" is it? Look at the credit card you used to buy it. Sometimes there may be a 30 or 60 day "replacement" period if it's stolen or damaged.

Jul 30, 2018
How "new" is it? Look at the credit card you used to buy it. Sometimes there may be a 30 or 60 day "replacement" period if it's stolen or damaged.
Great idea: many credit cards have a buyer's protection benefit.
Although the stroller was new, most airlines will not reimburse 100% of what you actually paid for the item. The idea being that once a consumer product is taken out of the package and used, its market value is no longer the actual retail price paid. Certainly, it doesn't hurt to write the company contacts and ask. Perhaps you could ask for a combination of the cash offer plus a voucher for future travel as a goodwill gesture.

Although it's been decades since I've owned a baby stroller, I have a neighbor who leaves her very pricey Bugaboo (which costs more than my first car!)at home when traveling by air. Instead she uses a less expensive one purchased at Target. Strollers are treated just like luggage.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Great idea: many credit cards have a buyer's protection benefit.
Although the stroller was new, most airlines will not reimburse 100% of what you actually paid for the item. The idea being that once a consumer product is taken out of the package and used, its market value is no longer the actual retail price paid. Certainly, it doesn't hurt to write the company contacts and ask. Perhaps you could ask for a combination of the cash offer plus a voucher for future travel as a goodwill gesture.

Although it's been decades since I've owned a baby stroller, I have a neighbor who leaves her very pricey Bugaboo (which costs more than my first car!)at home when traveling by air. Instead she uses a less expensive one purchased at Target. Strollers are treated just like luggage.
You're reading my mind, Bittyboo ... I've never been able to understand why parents entrust their very expensive strollers to an airline. Do they believe that the bag guys deal with it gently and properly? The thing is thrown into the hold with all the other baggage, retrieving it undamaged is something of a miracle.

Mar 13, 2017
I disagree, nowadays most luggage is transported in containers and is loaded carefully, not "thrown into the hold". Things likely get damaged putting them on the turnstiles after arrival.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I disagree, nowadays most luggage is transported in containers and is loaded carefully, not "thrown into the hold". Things likely get damaged putting them on the turnstiles after arrival.
Not when they are gate checked. I have never seen luggage transported in containers, only the carts that are pulled to the plane and watch the luggage being out on the belt into the plane.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
We'll agree to disagree, Doug. I've never seen any airplane luggage in a container loaded on my plane ... not sure where you fly out of but in San Francisco the luggage is loaded as it always has been. None of this is relevant anyway, because strollers are gate-checked.

Mar 17, 2015
You are actually only entitled to the depreciated value, not replacement value. So unless the stroller was literally purchased on the day of the flight, there will be some depreciation on the unit. I would take the offer.