Damage scam - JoyRent Bergamo Airport

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 16, 2019
I rented a car in Italy for two days with JoyRent, a simple car (Citroen C1). When I got at the airport they said that they did not have the car I rented and that I've got a free update. No offer of insurance or anything. I went to the pickup place, the lady took me to the car, made some notes and told me to sign the documents. I signed and left the airport to my house and parked the car.
Two days later I went back to the airport before my flight and they said there was damage in the car. I said it was not possible because I didn't even use the car, it was parked the whole time. I left in a hurry and went to catch my flight. When I was getting on the airplane I got the charge notification from my credit card app.
I stayed in Italy for three months and rented more than 5 cars with my brother, for periods longer than weeks, and did not had a single problem with any of them. This car was rented just to switch airports, I paid 18 euros for it and they want to charge me more than 1000 euros for the damage I did not do (some scratch on the door AND they said that will need to replace the whole door because of some scratch!). I am pretty sure it's a scam because I am Brazilian and they think I can't do anything. But I am also Italian citizen and I won't pay for things I did not do.

They also sent me a "PRE AUTHORIZATION" document for the charge and the signature on the document is not mine.

I would be really thankful if you could help me talk and solve this with the company. They know I am young and foreign so they don't care when I try to contact them. But if I have someone respectful in my side they will listen and stop trying to make me a fool and pay for their or someone else mistake. I was in Italy recognizing my citizenship, as my grand grandfather is Italian. But I am already back to Brazil and I need them to cancel this charge. I can haply pay and provide services for the solution.

Date of transaction/travel date: 10/22/2018

Attachments

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
We have a thread for how to deal with car rental claims here. When writing, read how to write here. When you email don't attach anything to your email as that may cause it to get bounced back. Don't email everyone all at once as if you do that, they may think someone else is handling the problem or if you don't get what you want, you have nowhere else to go. Good luck and please let us know how it turns out.

Jan 16, 2019
Hi Carrie,

I have contacted the company with no success. The charge is still on my credit card and my bank say they can not cancel it if the company does not send a document signed and on official company paper saying that they will cancel the charge and authorize the transaction cancelation.

I don't know what else to do. I have even contacted one employee of the company on LinkedIn to tell him the case and he acted like it was not his problem, probably knows about the scam.
I would be really glad if some lawyer could provide me help in contacting the company with a respectful voice and name to be considered.

I asked for the documents and they sent document authorizing the transaction with a signature that is not mine .(attached at the post)

Thank you

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Use this form and see if our research guru can find any executives for this company to escalate to.

https://www.elliott.org/research/

The problem with using these unknown companies is that when something like this happens there are no corporate people to help. Plus they are an Italian company and will be difficult to desk with because of the language barrier.

Jan 16, 2019
Yes, the problem was that I made my booking thru ww.rentalcars.com and did not had attention with the company reviews since is a trustable website, who also tried to help me in this situation but unsuccessfully.

Jan 16, 2019
I don’t know how trust worthy they are.

https://m.facebook.com/RentalcarsGlobal/

Google “complaints about rental cars.com”. There are plenty of complaints.
I don’t know how trust worthy they are.

https://m.facebook.com/RentalcarsGlobal/

Google “complaints about rental cars.com”. There are plenty of complaints.

I don't know also Neil. What I know is that now my credit card is charging me even more because I delayed the payment.
Can you help me write and contact the company? I believe that if I have a lawyer in my side they will give attention to this matter.

You don't have to do anything, just write a backup e-mail so I can forward them and put you in copy.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This forum helps you advocate for yourself. Carrie gave you the link to learn how to do this a couple of weeks ago. We have a great deal of information about disputing a car rental charge. You'll need to do the research on your own and proceed with your complaint. Only after you have followed all our steps and failed will the writers take a look at your case. Good luck and please let us know what transpires.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com