Damage recovery unit from Enterprise

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 19, 2019
Hello.
I’d like to start off this thread by saying that I’m not from the US. I recently rented a car from Enterprise in the Los Angeles location. When I rented it, I paid for the full insurance that covers everything. On the day I’m supposed to return the car, a car hit me on an intersection and caused damage to my rented car. I did not get a police report as the driver who hit me only called the sheriff and the sheriff told me to just take pictures of the insurance and license of the driver who hit me. After that, I returned the car and went back home.
A few days later I received a phone call from a Liability representative from rental insurance services and I explained to her exactly what happened in a phone call that lasted over an hour. A few days after that, I received another phone call from her and I explained the same thing to her. And a few weeks after, I again received yet another phone call and I again explained the same thing which was the details of the accident. A few days after that, the same liability representative emailed me and told me to point out where the accident happened on which intersection on a map, which I did along with pictures of the driver’s car who hit me and his insurance and license. I thought everything was okay and done but I just got another email in which I have to compete this damage report.
honestly I do not understand why I have to do this again and again. It’s been almost 2 months since the accident and I’ve paid full insurance for this. I’m not from the US so I don’t know what the procedures are but is it usually like this even though I paid full insurance that covers everything? And what do I do now? I’m getting tired of explaining this same situation over and over again to the same insurance people and liability representatives.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They need the reports completed so they can file the insurance claim. If you don’t complete them, they can come after you personally for the damages.

If they continue to harass you for the same information after you complete the damage report, we have company contacts for Enterprise on top of our pages under Car Rentals. You can start at Customer Service and write directly to them about the issue.

Here is how to escalate it.
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Jun 12, 2019
Hello.
I’d like to start off this thread by saying that I’m not from the US. I recently rented a car from Enterprise in the Los Angeles location. When I rented it, I paid for the full insurance that covers everything. On the day I’m supposed to return the car, a car hit me on an intersection and caused damage to my rented car. I did not get a police report as the driver who hit me only called the sheriff and the sheriff told me to just take pictures of the insurance and license of the driver who hit me. After that, I returned the car and went back home.
A few days later I received a phone call from a Liability representative from rental insurance services and I explained to her exactly what happened in a phone call that lasted over an hour. A few days after that, I received another phone call from her and I explained the same thing to her. And a few weeks after, I again received yet another phone call and I again explained the same thing which was the details of the accident. A few days after that, the same liability representative emailed me and told me to point out where the accident happened on which intersection on a map, which I did along with pictures of the driver’s car who hit me and his insurance and license. I thought everything was okay and done but I just got another email in which I have to compete this damage report.
honestly I do not understand why I have to do this again and again. It’s been almost 2 months since the accident and I’ve paid full insurance for this. I’m not from the US so I don’t know what the procedures are but is it usually like this even though I paid full insurance that covers everything? And what do I do now? I’m getting tired of explaining this same situation over and over again to the same insurance people and liability representatives.
It sounds like the other party is disputing the facts of loss and is trying to blame you for the accident. It sucks that the sheriff did not take a report because it would of captured both of the driver's statements that can be used in the liability investigation. An incident report might of been created but all it contains is the time and the date of the call but usually no statements. I personally had to insist that the police come out because it is required to activate some of the coverage on my policy, such as uninsured motorist bodily injury/property damage. We instruct the City drivers to insist on the police making a report because of the City's policies. This requirement is designed to preserve statements of the drivers and to make sure the ID, insurance card and other information is accurate.

Intersection accidents are usually disputed because one party usually claims that they had the right of way. Lane change accidents are also hard to prove and is usually disputed. Without an independent witness or footage, it is usually word vs word on who had the right of way. There may of been something that you said that required further clarification to the adjuster, such as location of the traffic controls, timing of lights, possible location of skid marks or other details that may give a clue to who had the right of way. The other party may have an attorney and it would be difficult to get a statement through the attorney, especially if they are at fault. The rental car company is trying to line up as much evidence that they can to pursue the other driver and would attempt to recreate the accident scenario with your statement and pictures of the accident. At the end of the day, the rental company is not likely a member of arbitration and will need to sue the other party if they feel the facts are in their favor by a preponderance of evidence. Even though you purchased the damage waiver and supplemental liability, part of the agreement is that you cooperate with the rental company so they can get their money back. I hope this gives you an insight on why they keep asking you the same questions again and again.

Sep 19, 2015
LAPD does not take reports for car accidents unless there is personal injury, or suspicion of DWI— with a hit and run or unlicensed driver LAPD will take a phone report — otherwise they tell people to exchange info and that is it.

It has been this way for years — not sure if the accident happened in the jurisdiction of the LAPD

http://www.lapdonline.org/traffic/content_basic_view/55543

What I was told from someone in LA is that such accidents are so frequent that the police do not bother unless there are certain criteria.

Calihankl has given you a good explanation of the process. I think the rental company and other driver are fighting it out.

Glad that the OP was not hurt and had the insurance.

Jun 12, 2019
LAPD does not take reports for car accidents unless there is personal injury, or suspicion of DWI— with a hit and run or unlicensed driver LAPD will take a phone report — otherwise they tell people to exchange info and that is it.

It has been this way for years — not sure if the accident happened in the jurisdiction of the LAPD

http://www.lapdonline.org/traffic/content_basic_view/55543

What I was told from someone in LA is that such accidents are so frequent that the police do not bother unless there are certain criteria.

Calihankl has given you a good explanation of the process. I think the rental company and other driver are fighting it out.

Glad that the OP was not hurt and had the insurance.
LAPD, makes me cringe when I think about how difficult it is to get that report. If it was the California Highway Patrol, you can get the front page of the report in 2 days, it usually contains the other party's information, including insurance. Most cities will have the report in a couple of weeks. LAPD can take months. The only exception is when I worked on the USC claims where the campus security would contact their liaison with the LAPD and the report would take a few weeks.