Damage recovery fees and hertz claims center

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 16, 2018
First post here and by the looks of it my case is not an unusual one. My wife used a rental car for a two month training assignment in San Antonio. Two days before her rental was up she was the victim of a hit and run on I-35. The vehicle was assessed for damages by the local hertz employee named nesha to the tune of 60 dollars. After being told several times that this would take car of the damage costs and we were now good to go and the rental was over we received a bill in the mail for 290 dollars from hertz claims center! Of course this figure was under the 500 dollar deductible on our insurance and we’ve made no headway in getting an explanation or having the bill dropped! I was lucky to find this forum and I hope it can help our situation. Thank you all!!

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
What was the nature of the damage from a hit and run on an interstate highway? Do you have pictures of the damage? It is hard to imagine that only $60 in damage was caused by such an event. You may be dealing with an "estimate" from a Hertz employee who has no idea what it costs to fix a car. $60 would not even replace a tail light lens. Do you have an itemized statement of damages and repair cost? If not you need to tell Hertz you are not paying anything until you get that statement. However do not be surprised if the actual repair cost is $290.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree with Weihlac. There is no way an employee can state how much damage there was. How did you pay this employee? In cash? Do you have receipt for the payment?

You would be responsible for the deductible so if it’s less than $500 you did ok.

I would be more concerned with giving Nescafé that $60 and what that was for.

Sep 16, 2018
So the damage was a dent on the right rear passenger side door from the hit and run and the car was taken back to hertz, they went ahead and popped the dent out and told my wife that she was all set and good to go and then a few weeks later we got sent a bill from the hertz claims center for 290.00 to fix what the company had said was already fixed when they popped the dent out. What would be the consequences of not paying this bill and is there any way of getting it solved? Its been a stressful situation for my wife and we’d like to get it resolved hopefully

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Boy did you get off easy! We have folks reporting $1,000’s of damaged assessed. If it was me after all I see here on Elliott I’d pay it in a heart beat and be greatful. JMHO of course!

In the future take pictures before and after every rental. Don’t forget the roof and under the front & back bumpers. Interiors of course especially if you are give a dirty car. If the car smells as if someone smoked refuse the car!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Have you written back to turn andcsent a copy of the receipt?

If you have , we have company contacts on top of our page.

Read the bottom of the company contacts about how to write and deal with the corporate offices. Tell them what you just told us about them popping the dent and that they told you $60 covered it.

Let us know how you make out going through the corporate offices.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
So the damage was a dent on the right rear passenger side door from the hit and run and the car was taken back to hertz, they went ahead and popped the dent out and told my wife that she was all set and good to go and then a few weeks later we got sent a bill from the hertz claims center for 290.00 to fix what the company had said was already fixed when they popped the dent out. What would be the consequences of not paying this bill and is there any way of getting it solved? Its been a stressful situation for my wife and we’d like to get it resolved hopefully
What are the consequences of not paying the bill? Finding yourself on the Hertz/Thrifty/Dollar no-renter list and having your credit rating reduced.
You need to pursue this through the Hertz contacts as Neil indicates above. This is not a case of a claim of damage when there was none, but a case of how much is the cost of repair for an actual case of damage. The fact that your wife was not at fault is not relevant to the rental agency.

Sep 16, 2018
I have emailed one of the company contacts at hertz and am waiting on a reply! Fingers crossed that it helps and a big thank you to everyone here for the advice.