Damage claim Sixt (Munich airport)

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 21, 2018
Hello,
Thank you for what you put out to help people deal with these kind of issues. I wasn't sure to open a new thread as some documents have my details.
I have rented a car with Sixt in Munich Airport (I'm French but still german resident to this date). The rental was for 1 day from 31 Jan18 to 01 Feb18 the car was a Jeep compass. The issue is that I took the car at night it was dark and honestly didn't think twice, I put luggage and drove.
Unfortunately I received 10 days ago a damage claim on a mark on the right rear RIM, the amount claimed is around 1200EUR ! I know for a fact that the car was not parked in any street with a rightside side walk that could do this damage, it was parked in a residence, and then driven on Highway.
I can send the conversation in private message, if you could guide or help in any way I would be infinitely gratefull.

Thank you very much for your time, I whish I had found your website earlier, I hope I didn't make too big of misteps already.
Best Regards,
Hachem

Jan 6, 2015
When you appeal, as Neil Maley suggests, if they insist on payment I would vehemently challenge the amount.
1200 euros seems outrageous for just a "mark on the right rear RIM".

Feb 21, 2018
I have read the thread thanks, here is what I first replied and their answer from yesterday :

-me (15th Feb):
Hello,

I would like to point, that in NO WAY I have touch anything on the car. I have reviewed my travel itinary, and everywhere the car was parked it was not with a side walk or anything that could damage the RIM !!

I cannot possibly pay for that damage, which I believe was not done by me.

Do you have pictures from the previous rental to check that position where the supposed damage occured ??

Thank you

-Them (yesterday) :
We are checking our cars after every return according to an station wide homogeneous quality standard. By doing so we have

noticed a new damage after your return.

You have confirmed the condition of the rental car described on the rental agreement before take over. If you notice a new

damage you have the obligation to inform us before take over according to our contractual agreement. We have checked our

papers once again and can unfortunately find no evidence for such an information.

We only take pictures from the car because of new damages, not before every rental.

After revision of all given information and your objection we have to inform you that the damage must have occurred during

your rental period. Therefore we kindly ask for your understanding that we have to insist on compensation of our claimed

indemnity.

As a gesture of goodwill we have extended payment deadline nonrecurring until 05th of March 2018

Jan 6, 2015
I would appeal this using the thread that Neil posted. I would also:
  • Request pictures of the "damage"
  • Request receipts showing the actual repair
  • Request a further extension of the payment deadline while the appeal is being processed

Feb 21, 2018
Thank you Vor61, they had already sent me the pictures with the pre-calculation of the repair (attached), not the actual repair

Attachments

Jan 6, 2015
I can't read German, but translating a few words it seems they are charging for the replacement of the wheel. From the pictures, the damage shown would indicate to me that someone scraped a curb or similar structure. If you did not do that, then state so in your appeal. And 1,500 USD for one rim still seems excessive.

Follow the instructions in the link that Neil posted ...

The damage shown in these photos seems minor. Car dealerships that sell "certified" used cars send damaged wheels to companies that can grind, buff and rebalance them, at a cost far less than that of a new wheel. If worse comes to worst, and Sixt refuses to listen to reason, you might consider agreeing to repair rather than replace the wheel.

Pursue the appeal first as Neil has outlined and keep this in mind as a last resort.

Feb 21, 2018
Hello guys,
SIXT answered my request to provide the documents from NEIL's post. The thing is they just sent me back the same old documents, and the pictures are not dated. I could not extract any date from meta data..They extended their payment deadline to 19th march..

Attachments

Feb 21, 2018
Hello,
They sent the same undated pictures with the message :

Thank you for your reply.

Please find attached the check-in protocol with the details you are requesting. The pictures were taken at the same time.

We have extended payment deadline until 23rd of March 2018.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Send it back saying “this is not dated and time stamped. Unless you can show me this was right after my rental, I do not accept this as proof and will not be paying you anything. How do I know this wasn’t from a week after I turned the car in?”

Are you using the company contacts we have on top of the forums?