Damage Claim, first time renter help

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 5, 2019
Ok, so someone rear ended my car right before Christmas and I had a trip planned to NY (was planning on driving in the car that was hit) other party’s insurance agreed to pay rental for time and it was my first time going through this. I went to enterprise cuz they have unlimited miles, I was told. It was a week before Christmas, so they said they had no cars for me, until they found a 2019 Jeep Wrangler. I was totally against it since I have two small kids In car seats but proceeded anyways. It was my first time and had no idea what I was doing. I had to put a $50 deposit hold, and had to decline rental insurance because it was way too long of a trip and the other insurance company did not cover it. The day I picked up the rental it was extremely stormy. Raining cats and dogs, flooding, etc. I was told to wait inside while they “prepped the car”, cleaned it and got it ready to go. I signed a contract (which I never got a copy of), and was taken to the rental. I took a picture, but, it was raining, and a bit dark and gloomy so it wasn’t such a good picture, as well as I didn’t want to keep getting soaked. Fast forward to after the trip. I drop the car off at a different location because It was closer to my house. The girl, looked at the car, and said “ok there’s damage to the car, two huge dents on the hood and nicks on the windshield and scratches on the hood” I told her I was in NY, where there was a snow storm and rock salt everywhere so that’s probably where the nicks in the windshield came in, and I have absolutely no idea about the dents and about the scratches either. Again, it was very rainy, the car was soaked, couldn’t expect it fully. She asked me if I had full coverage, asked what my deductible was, I told her it was $500, she said “ok you’re gonna have to pay that today” mind you, were still outside inspecting the car for return. My jaw dropped because who just has $500 and no claim or estimate had been made. (I don’t know if they do that, I just figured like a normal claim ya know). I told her I didn’t have that kind of money, she wanted me to call my insurance company to get info, she got my insurance card (I never called) and she kept my $50 and told me I needed to pay the $500 eventually. Again the picture I took before driving off isn’t great but I swear I see a dent but I’m not sure if it’s the water and reflection. What can I do? Help please.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
First, you should contact your own car insurance company and find out if your insurance covers a rental car. If they do, put them on notice that you may have to put in a claim. You only have a certain time frame to report an accident.

We have a post on how to deal with false damage resorts.
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/

Write back to them and tell them you have a picture from pick up and the dent was there when you picked it up and send the picture to them.