customer service

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 25, 2019
I have “Blast” with my subscription with Comcast. My desk top computer yields 257 Mbps. My laptop thru WiFi is 40 feet away & yields 40 Mbps. I tried to rectify the difference my calling Comcast; here is the chronology of my attempt:
1/17/19 Contacted Customer Service by phone 25 minutes mostly on hold before the call was dropped. My next attempt took 35 minutes. No resolution!
EMAIL TO Brian Roberts CEO @ 4:13 pm on 1/17/2019
Phone call 1/17/2019 5:14 pm clerical person “Miranda” “I can’t help you I am not a Technician. I will have a tech call you”
1/18/2019 No calls no response!
1/19/2019 No calls no response!
1/20/2019 SUNDAY no calls
1/21/2019 MLK no calls
1/22/2019 Phone call from Miranda 410-931-5218
1/23/2019 No calls no response!
1/24/2019 Phone call from Miranda 410-931-5218 ✦ 20 minutes will have a technician call AGAIN!!!
1/24/2019 Jay a tech CALLED try moving the laptop and/or try wifi extenders.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
"I have “Blast” with my subscription with Comcast. My desk top computer yields 257 Mbps. My laptop thru WiFi is 40 feet away & yields 40 Mbps."

Is your desktop connected by ethernet cable to the cable modem? If so, the problem is your wi-fi, not your internet speed from Comcast. Connect your laptop to your cable modem with an ethernet cable. You will likely find the speed goes up. This type of speed drop with a wi-fi connection vs hardwired is not at all unusual, esp if your laptop is in another room with intervening walls.

Then you have to figure out what is wrong with your wi-fi router. If it is supplied by Comcast, then get back to them online. If it is not supplied by Comcast, then you should look online and find (on the Comcast web site) what compatible wi-fi routers are available and buy one and install it.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
You just never know what you're going to learn on this forum. Warren, if my colleagues' suggestions don't work, please come back to us. While intellectually I know I could install a new router, I always prefer to have a pro do it. ComCast will resist this mightily. If you're not comfortable installing a new router, buy it from a place who will send a tech out to do it for you.

Mar 14, 2018
As Weilac said, this isn't an issue with your internet connection. It could be your notebook, router or home walls.

Is it even an issue? 40Mbps is more than enough for virtually any application other than web site hosting.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Wi-fi runs on 2.4 and 5 ghz. The 5 ghz is much faster. Your laptop may be connecting to the 2.4 ghz network. If you use an ethernet cable you bypass the wi-fi network. You should check out the network that your laptop supports.
If it supports the 5 ghz network you need to connect to that wi-fi network. Older laptops (and smartphones) usually connect only to the 2.4 ghz network.

Another potential solution is to get a wi-fi range extender (inexpensive compared to a new router). Google wi-fi range extender or look on Amazon.
This will extend the range of both networks and increase the connection speed.

Sep 12, 2018
Wi-fi runs on 2.4 and 5 ghz. The 5 ghz is much faster.
This is absolutely correct, but I would add that the 5 ghz also has a shorter effective range. So if your laptop in several rooms away from your wireless router, the 2.4 ghz might actually get you a better connection.