Customer Service Misleading Boarding Information

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Claudia, this is a terribly disappointing way to learn that you should have your green card with you every time you leave your house. As Kenish says, it would have been an awful end to this dream cruise if you were not allowed back into the USA. I'm so sorry for you and hope that somehow all or some of the money you spent can be used towards a future trip.

Oct 26, 2015
@Claudia I must ask- why didn't you bring your greencard? If you always have it on you anyway? How far from New York City do you live?
I do not carry my green card everywhere, because i am very cared to get my green card stolen.
We live in NY, but it is not in the city. It was impossible go back and for to make the cruise on time.
I did asked for credit, but a lady at the boarding station told me, we could only take the next cruise on a week.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I do not carry my green card everywhere, because i am very cared to get my green card stolen.
We live in NY, but it is not in the city. It was impossible go back and for to make the cruise on time.
I did asked for credit, but a lady at the boarding station told me, we could only take the next cruise on a week.
That is not true at all. Once your cruise has sailed, your cruise money is gone. You cannot get on the cruise the following week.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
How far from the city do you live? Why wouldn't you bring it going out of the country? What did you expect? You could have spent months being held in a federal facility on your return. new York is the safest large city in America. You could've gone home and gotten it and met the ship in Bermuda or had someone go to your house and get it for you. I'm sorry but you need to do what you are supposed to do. You could have fixed the problem and still declined to.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
If she told you that, you should have taken it. None of this makes much sense to me. Why didn't you bring your green card to leave the country? Why did you think you think the US would allow you back without it? If you admit you knew you are always supposed to have it on you then you knowingly took a big risk trying to cruise without out. How far from New York City do you live? Why didn't you just have someone bring it to you.

Mike

Verified Member
Oct 1, 2014
Claudia
My apologies for the negative responses. Thank you for sharing your story. It will serve as a reminder to others about the need to check documentation requirements.
What is past is done and you learned the hard way about the need to have your green card available. You don't need us reminding you of that.
I urge you to contact the cruise line using the contacts available here. Where it does not have to do anything for you, hopefully it will.
Let us know what happens.
Mike

Jan 8, 2015
I won't pile on with what you should or shouldn't have done, but I will say that when you or your husband writes the cruise line, make the letter very, very polite. Leave out all the parts about how you think everyone was very rude and or mean to you. I say this because you made the comment about the employee being racist. Sorry, but asking if someone can get into your house for you isn't a racist statement any more than asking the police department if any cops can help me get my locked car door open. You had a need to get your green card in a hurry and the fastest, easiest way would have been to have someone jump through a window or balcony door and retrieve it for you. FWIW, if you give someone permission to enter your premises, they aren't breaking in.
Anyway, explain that it was a honeymoon cruise and in the mix of planning all the events of your marriage, you took the word of the CS person. that may score you some points.

Oct 26, 2015
Claudia
My apologies for the negative responses. Thank you for sharing your story. It will serve as a reminder to others about the need to check documentation requirements.
What is past is done and you learned the hard way about the need to have your green card available. You don't need us reminding you of that.
I urge you to contact the cruise line using the contacts available here. Where it does not have to do anything for you, hopefully it will.
Let us know what happens.
Mike
Mr. Mike, Thank you for your kind words! It means a lot your positive comment.
I have learned a lot with this issue. I am still hoping to get credit back.

Oct 26, 2015
@Claudia - I am so sorry that your long-awaited honeymoon ended like this.

We have had several people on this Forum with similar situations: they were misinformed as to what documentation was required for the cruise and were not permitted to sail.

My colleague @technomage1 gave you sound advice above, suggesting that you write to NCL to request reconsideration of your case. Please retire your phone and keep communications in writing from this point on, because this gives you a paper trail for followup purposes.

Let me make a couple of comments: I am hoping that the representative who suggested that someone enter your apartment to get the green card was trying to be helpful. Perhaps he saw your New York drivers license and since the ship was sailing from NY, thought it would be possible to get the green card before sailing. (I say this because a few months ago I had clients who forgot their passports at home in Illinois, and realized it when they landed in Florida. They called a neighbor who actually did break into their apartment, get the passports and get them FedEx'd to the passengers.) I would hope that the staffer was actually trying to make a helpful suggestion.

The other comment has two points for future reference. Did you book through a travel agent? They would have been able to advise the correct requirements for documentation. It is, though, ultimately the passenger's responsibility to determine the travel documents needed for a particular trip.

NCL's Website, under "Required Cruise Travel Documents", reads:
"Non-U.S. Citizens

Alien Residents of the United States holding an Alien Registration Card (ARC or "Green Card") (Form I-551) may travel to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda (see Visa Restrictions on Bermuda) and the Caribbean with just their valid ARC and Proof of Identity. However, it is recommended that these guests also carry their passports from their country of citizenship if available. In some instances, ARC holders may still be required to have sailing permits and/or visas to enter countries Norwegian Cruise Line visits in these areas. Please note that travel anywhere else in the world requires a valid passport from the country you are a citizen of and subsequently subjects you to any documentation, visa and health requirements of all countries visited."
Please DO write to NCL .... it's possible they may understand your situation and offer compensation of some sort. Be sure to mention that their (NCL's) Customer Service told you twice on the phone that the passport and drivers license were sufficient.

Please let us know what transpires...
@Claudia
Your only solution is to write to the contacts at NCL, ones at a time, one week apart, requesting that they give you a credit for a future cruise due to the misunderstanding. A credit card dispute is not the proper method here, because NCL did have the room available, but you did not have the proper documentation required to leave and re-enter the country when you attempted to check in.

My guess is that the representative on the phone did not understand that you had a non-US passport. They do state, however, the rules on their website.
@Claudia - I am so sorry that your long-awaited honeymoon ended like this.

We have had several people on this Forum with similar situations: they were misinformed as to what documentation was required for the cruise and were not permitted to sail.

My colleague @technomage1 gave you sound advice above, suggesting that you write to NCL to request reconsideration of your case. Please retire your phone and keep communications in writing from this point on, because this gives you a paper trail for followup purposes.

Let me make a couple of comments: I am hoping that the representative who suggested that someone enter your apartment to get the green card was trying to be helpful. Perhaps he saw your New York drivers license and since the ship was sailing from NY, thought it would be possible to get the green card before sailing. (I say this because a few months ago I had clients who forgot their passports at home in Illinois, and realized it when they landed in Florida. They called a neighbor who actually did break into their apartment, get the passports and get them FedEx'd to the passengers.) I would hope that the staffer was actually trying to make a helpful suggestion.

The other comment has two points for future reference. Did you book through a travel agent? They would have been able to advise the correct requirements for documentation. It is, though, ultimately the passenger's responsibility to determine the travel documents needed for a particular trip.

NCL's Website, under "Required Cruise Travel Documents", reads:
"Non-U.S. Citizens

Alien Residents of the United States holding an Alien Registration Card (ARC or "Green Card") (Form I-551) may travel to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda (see Visa Restrictions on Bermuda) and the Caribbean with just their valid ARC and Proof of Identity. However, it is recommended that these guests also carry their passports from their country of citizenship if available. In some instances, ARC holders may still be required to have sailing permits and/or visas to enter countries Norwegian Cruise Line visits in these areas. Please note that travel anywhere else in the world requires a valid passport from the country you are a citizen of and subsequently subjects you to any documentation, visa and health requirements of all countries visited."
Please DO write to NCL .... it's possible they may understand your situation and offer compensation of some sort. Be sure to mention that their (NCL's) Customer Service told you twice on the phone that the passport and drivers license were sufficient.

Please let us know what transpires...
My husband send the first inquiry without details. I send a second inquiry to Cruise Line Guest Relations on October 26, 2015. They told me I will get an answer in 10 days. But I am still waiting. Also to contact them it seems very difficult. I do not understand why NCL is very fast to book and charge, but to solve problems is not that relevant!

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
@Claudia - If NCL Guest Relations has not honored the 10 day period for a reply (even if they meant 10 business days, that time has passed), perhaps it's time to escalate your request.

In the COMPANY CONTACTS on the top of this page, click CRUISE LINES, then NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE and you'll see the contacts page. The first executive contact is Ms Vivian Ewart. I would email her (again, sending a short and polite note asking for assistance). If no reply from Ms Ewart's office in one week, move ahead and send an email to the next executive contact.

Be sure to include your reservation # and passenger names in your correspondence.

Please keep us posted on what transpires.

Oct 26, 2015
@Claudia - If NCL Guest Relations has not honored the 10 day period for a reply (even if they meant 10 business days, that time has passed), perhaps it's time to escalate your request.

In the COMPANY CONTACTS on the top of this page, click CRUISE LINES, then NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE and you'll see the contacts page. The first executive contact is Ms Vivian Ewart. I would email her (again, sending a short and polite note asking for assistance). If no reply from Ms Ewart's office in one week, move ahead and send an email to the next executive contact.

Be sure to include your reservation # and passenger names in your correspondence.

Please keep us posted on what transpires.
Thank you so much for your help!!! I will contact Ms Vivian Ewart

Oct 26, 2015
I won't pile on with what you should or shouldn't have done, but I will say that when you or your husband writes the cruise line, make the letter very, very polite. Leave out all the parts about how you think everyone was very rude and or mean to you. I say this because you made the comment about the employee being racist. Sorry, but asking if someone can get into your house for you isn't a racist statement any more than asking the police department if any cops can help me get my locked car door open. You had a need to get your green card in a hurry and the fastest, easiest way would have been to have someone jump through a window or balcony door and retrieve it for you. FWIW, if you give someone permission to enter your premises, they aren't breaking in.
Anyway, explain that it was a honeymoon cruise and in the mix of planning all the events of your marriage, you took the word of the CS person. that may score you some points.
Thank you for your answer! But the way NCL representative spoke to us was in a very rude way. I was crying and he talked to us upset and even put a hand in front to us "like to not say any story" just let me talk to me. Empty, care, and respect were lack in that man!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Claudia, both I and Techno gave you the link to the Company Contacts at NCL. You should be writing to the executives there, they are the only ones who might find a solution for you.
Unfortunately the people that work at the check in desks at cruise terminals do not work for the cruise line so they really have no information other than what they can use for you to board.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
Claudia, both I and Techno gave you the link to the Company Contacts at NCL. You should be writing to the executives there, they are the only ones who might find a solution for you.
Unfortunately the people that work at the check in desks at cruise terminals do not work for the cruise line so they really have no information other than what they can use for you to board.
@Neil ... are you back? Was it wonderful ???

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
@Neil ... are you back? Was it wonderful ???
It was ok. Too many sea days. Ship needs refurbishing badly and going into dry dock in May. But cruise staff was very good, especially the Cruise Director.
Enjoying our day and a half in New Orleans before going home. My wife had to come back to the hotel to recharge her phone before we go out on a dinner cruise.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
It was ok. Too many sea days. Ship needs refurbishing badly and going into dry dock in May. But cruise staff was very good, especially the Cruise Director.
Enjoying our day and a half in New Orleans before going home. My wife had to come back to the hotel to recharge her phone before we go out on a dinner cruise.
Well, welcome (almost) home. You were missed :)

Oct 26, 2015
Thank you! Yesterday I send the e-mail. I am waiting for an answer.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You may have to email every executive but I am afraid the answer may still be no. Their website and confirmations clearly state the client is responsible for knowing what documents are required to travel. If you had the name of the rep. That gave you the wrong info it would help your cause. But you are at the mercy of asking one of these executives to break the rules, do just be aware of that when writing.

Good luck and let us know if you find a sympathetic executive that will bend the rules.