Custody issue causes need to cancel trip.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 27, 2017
I went to the Apple Vacations website and plugged in the info Snl8387 had provided. Apple Vacation's Travel Insurance seemed reasonable for the coverage provided. We always get travel insurance within days of booking and our coverage usually runs at 8% to 10% of our total travel costs.

Life is full of twists and turns - like falling down at the Houston Hobby airport smack dab on my knee the day before a cruise and wondering if we would be able to go. Fortunately, nothing was broken and ice and a knee bandage helped immensely. But what if we had to cancel? When people tell me they refuse to buy travel insurance, I say - "OK, guess you can afford to lose the entire cost of your trip if something happens - like getting in a car wreck, needing emergency surgery, or falling in an airport."

Jul 27, 2016
I'm baffled as to why an agent would discourage anyone from taking the insurance - it's highly profitable for Apple, and I can't imagine that some of that doesn't translate to additional commission for the agent.

May 30, 2018
We have tried to discuss this further with their father. We pointed out once they have their passports he could take them somewhere as well (Niagra falls ect). He's not much of a traveler. We do have primary custody, the kids live with us full time and have visitation with him every other weekend. We do our best to be accomidating if he asks for extra weekends.

Charley was out of the office this week. I sent him another E-mail explaining our situation and our need to cancel atleast the kids tickets.

As far as the insurance conversation unfortunately that was all verbal over the phone. Up until this point Charley has been a great travel agent for us. He's quick with responses and getting us extra discounts.

Sep 19, 2015
SNL8387 is father objecting to foreign travel in general or Mexico in specific (perhaps for safety concerns).

And the passport is not often the only concern. Airlines may ask for a notarized document from the non custodial parent in order for the child to leave the country.

Jun 27, 2017
Neil ... I agree that Snl8387 should take this matter up with the owner of the travel agency, or is Charley the owner? Are errors & omissions insurance policies available for purchase by travel agents? If so, should Snl8387 ask if Charley and/or the travel agency where Charley works has E&O coverage? Just wondering.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Neil ... I agree that Snl8387 should take this matter up with the owner of the travel agency, or is Charley the owner? Are errors & omissions insurance policies available for purchase by travel agents? If so, should Snl8387 ask if Charley and/or the travel agency where Charley works has E&O coverage? Just wondering.
It sounds like Charley is an agent. I have no idea if he is also the owner.

Yes E and O insurance is available to be purchased by the agency and/or agent. But not offering travel insurance is usually not a covered reason for e and o. And the cost of the tickets for the 2 kids isn’t even enough to put a claim in anyway and risk getting canceled.

It doesn’t matter if the agency has e and o, if Snl can prove that Charley didn’t offer insurance and/or talked them out of it, they can sue the agency in small claims court. If Snl didn’t sign any paperwork declining the Travel insurance, he had a case for small claims court.

May 30, 2018
Hi everyone sorry for the delay in response. I was on jury duty all week and not allowed on the internet!

I was able after several correspondences with Charley we were able to cancel the kids tickets and get a credit for the airline. I greatly appreciate everyone's help and input.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Hi everyone sorry for the delay in response. I was on jury duty all week and not allowed on the internet!

I was able after several correspondences with Charley we were able to cancel the kids tickets and get a credit for the airline. I greatly appreciate everyone's help and input.
WONDERFUL! So glad you let us know.

Sep 19, 2015
Jury duty; wow you really have had a tough few weeks. I am glad that Charley worked it out and hope that you can take a family vacation some other place.