Curious Letter from Sedgwick/Avis

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 20, 2019
Last week I received a letter from Sedgwick claiming that an Avis vehicle was damaged while in my possession two months ago. The letter contains the proper Avis Rental Agreement Number for that time. It further claims that I had accepted LDW, that I'm not responsible for the damages, and that they're requesting "additional information regarding the accident". I never take the LDW.

The vehicle was certainly not damaged while in my possession. I've rented more than 50 cars over the last 2 years and have only had a flat tire; I guess I was due. I have now rented from the same location 3 additional times since the rental on which damage is now being claimed without any discussion of any previous problem(s).

The letter asks me to "send the attached form with as much information as possible to the address below", yet no form was attached.

Any recommendations on how to proceed without tipping my hand re: LDW? The car was rented on my AMEX and I believe that their coverage would/should apply, but I'd still be willing to argue over a false claim.

Thank you.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Oh, Scott, this situation is almost funny. We've known for quite some time that the rental car agencies are clueless, and this proves it in spades. Just write them a polite note to tell them that you didn't damage the car. Request that they check their records so they can contact the person who subsequently rented and damaged it. Assuming, of course, that someone did damage the car ... with these guys you never know.