Crystal refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 31, 2016
I am appealing to you because we have run out of ideas to resolve this unfortunate situation. My husband and I (both retired) were booked on a Crystal cruise on the Rhine River, scheduled to depart late May. Of course it was canceled due to the pandemic. We immediately applied to Crystal to accept their offer of a full refund. We were guaranteed a refund within 60 days. It has now been five months and we have not received a penny. We have worked with our travel agent (Millennium Travel, Carmel Valley, CA), their president, and Crystal Cruise administration/president. We have applied to the legal channels available, maritime law and California Attorney General. Everything has come to a dead end. We keep getting empty promises that the refund will be processed soon. That has not proven to be the case over and over again. In the meantime, we keep getting advertisements from Crystal, urging us to book another cruise in the future.
We cannot apply for a dispute with our credit card because they know we are guaranteed a refund.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
They don't have the money to refund. I've heard of a couple of refunds over the last months, but Crystal has been very, very slow. Your travel agent should have explained it all. They are desperate to stay in business, so they have some overhead expenses, but no revenue. Put your refund request in writing, submit it regularly, be polite and appreciative ... hopefully they will secire some assets so they can make some refunds before their brand is so tarnished that they'll have to fold. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.

Oct 31, 2016
At the recommendation of our travel agent, we went ahead and made a claim to dispute the cruise cost with our credit card. She had experience with some clients that Crystal paid once the knew there was a claim filed. Today we got a denial from our card, because they said it is incumbent on Crystal to pay, not them.

• Wow
Reactions: Skippy
Sep 26, 2017
Isn't it your card's responsibility to chase Crystal on a dispute? It sounds like they denied it outright because it was easier than doing the legwork to fight it with Crystal and if that's the case, I'd consider changing cards.

Reactions: jsmithw
Oct 31, 2016
I guess the card’s advice was to go after trip cancellation coverage. That obviously did not work. So my husband is now going to I initiate a dispute. Will keep you updated. PS we have already changed cards to one better for travel.

Oct 31, 2016
We will be filing a dispute now. My husband has been handling this and followed the card’s representative to go for trip cancellation. Bad advice!!!

Jun 13, 2019
I am wondering how Crystal chooses who to refund. My neighbors got a refund on their cancelled river cruise at the end of June this year. They said their agent pushed really hard at Crystal, and they saw the refund on their card about 3 weeks after they were told they would get it.

Oct 31, 2016
Great question. Our agent has been very aggressive with Crystal as has been her president. They said they still have thousands of un-refunded passengers and millions of dollars still out. We have had multiple correspondences with Crystal directly, including a representative of the president. I don’t know how there could be any more pressure applied. Our responses have been given estimates of payment in two weeks over and over again, never to happen. Having said that, we will be filing a dispute ASAP as that is what is now recommended that we have not pursued, per above comments.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I can tell you hundreds of travel agents are having the same problem with Crystal. Thousands of passengers are still waiting for refunds. And we have heard that many received money back only after filing credit card disputes.

You might also want to file a complaint with CLIA.Crystal is a member.

Oct 31, 2016
I contacted CLIA. They said they do not get involved with refunds or cancellations with individual cruise lines. They said I need to work directly with Crystal. ☹️

Apr 1, 2019
I am wondering how Crystal chooses who to refund. My neighbors got a refund on their cancelled river cruise at the end of June this year. They said their agent pushed really hard at Crystal, and they saw the refund on their card about 3 weeks after they were told they would get it.

Each company handles it differently. Some are paying by first paid in - first paid out while others are using a similar method but placing preferred customers on top of the list. There is one resort hotel that I know about that is refunding a certain number of guests each day depending on how any rooms are occupied and who gets a refund is the luck of the draw.

Side note: At that hotel though the squeaky wheel doesn't get the grease. Those poor employees have been browbeat so much that it is the polite, sympathetic customers that get their refund the quickest.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Isn't it your card's responsibility to chase Crystal on a dispute? It sounds like they denied it outright because it was easier than doing the legwork to fight it with Crystal and if that's the case, I'd consider changing cards.
Just like staying out of trouble with rental cars, the strong CC issuers protect their cardholders, so the rental car peeps leave us alone. Chase Sapphire and American Express are trying to eat each other's lunch, and have been for years. High level customer service is one way to excel. Other card issuers may not be so quick to support their customer. So it all depends on the CC issuer.

Oct 19, 2020
I doubt that filing a dispute with the CC company will help. They will say you needed to file the claim within 60 days of the original payment date.....not the date the cruise was cancelled.

Oct 19, 2020
I tried a couple of months ago and they denied me assistance on the basis I described. Do you suggest I submit a new dispute?