crystal cruises refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 23, 2020
We booked a cruise over one year ago with crystal for an august 2020 cruise.we cancelled the cruise on 3/19/29 well within their full refund policy.we were to the refund would occur within 6 weeks then 60 days then 90 days and again 120 days .these deadlines have come and gone. Crystal supervisors are not reachable by phone.their voice mail boxes are full.Iv'e called supervisors many times with no response. We continue to be told by the sales staff, the same company line ... "that we will be refunded our 15 thousand dollars as soon as possible " no more time lines provided just the same vague promise. This was to be our dream cruise to see England ,Scotland, and Norway.There are many other crystal customers with absent refunds on the Crystal facebook page.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Any cruise line is experiencing a severe cash shortage, as you can imagine. I'm sure that nobody at Crystal is withholding refunds ... they just don't have the cash. With no revenue and many overhead expenses, it will take time for these companies to get all their ducks in a row. I've cancelled three trips, gotten a credit with bonus, rebooked and insured each one against insolvency by the travel provider. I don't have the fortitude to wait and wait for a refund, I'd rather get it all tied up neatly and move on.

Apr 8, 2020
I am in the same situation with Crystal Cruise Line. They have been holding a $14,000+ refund since early April. Of course, I have spoken with the "luxury"travel agency who reiterated that the line is restructuring, will not go out of business, and indeed some of their clients have received refunds recently. However, I am very nervous about the situation.

Apr 8, 2020
I did. They will put through a charge dispute anytime; however, with all of the information that I gave to them, they also feel that a refund will be forthcoming since the travel agency did receive a recent batch of refunds.

Reactions: Carrie Livingston

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Then the option is that you will just have to wait it out. However, the agency should not have told you the line will not go out of business. We don't know what is going to happen. I hope you have that in writing because if God forbid something does happen - you would be able to sue the agency for telling you that.

Apr 8, 2020
Thank you, Neil. I have it in writing as a direct quote from Crystal Cruises that had been forwarded to me from the Travel Agency. Would that be sufficient for possible legal action? Hopefully, it will not come to that.

Apr 8, 2020
The travel agent enclosed a direct quote from Crystal Cruises that they were not going out of business.
Below is the statement that Crystal released and was quoted to me per the travel agency.

“Crystal’s parent company, Genting Hong Kong, is engaged in a financial restructuring and fundraising exercise to address liquidity issues that resulted from its global fleet not operating because of COVID-19. It is important to understand that the company is not going out of business. Whatever option our parent company pursues, it will allow Crystal to operate its business. Additionally, we have always been committed to honoring our contractual obligations with guests and travel partners, including the processing of refunds.

I was also told from a principal of the travel agency, by phone, the above.

Apr 8, 2020
For those interested, there is an active blog on Crystal Cruise lines and this current situation. It's on Cruise Critic, a site I follow.
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2758956-virtuoso-e-mail-blast/.

I am glad that we decided to forego our initial deposit on another cruise line for a lower Danube river cruise from Budapest to Bucharest scheduled for this month. We prepaid the entire amount. Rather than accept a future travel credit we chose to give up our initial deposit and get a cash refund for the remainder. We had to wait a little over 90 days but they made good on their promise and we did get 85% of our money back. Who knows when/if they will be around when Covid gets under control? Our ages weighed heavily on our decision, as we are close to 70 years old, but in good health, for now anyway.

Reactions: jsn55
Apr 8, 2020
Thank you, Neil. One significant item, for possible future need, I do have, in writing, from travel agency personnel a statement that they do not believe Crystal will go out of business. Let's hope for so many individuals involved in this fiasco that this is true.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
When assessing risk in these situations, I look for what I believe are authoritative and/or reliable sources. First up is a news release by their parent company, GENTING Honk Kong, dated August 28th:

which in part states:

The COVID-19 pandemic has severely impacted the Company’s financial position and results of operation. If the temporary suspension of sailings protracts, the impact on the Company’s liquidity and financial position is likely to continue.​

Admittedly, many parts of this document are hard to understand (for me), but the above statement seems to be straightforward in terms of concern about future sailings.

And then I found this Reuters page, which shows a steep decline in the past 12 months.

If my reading of these is correct, I would be concerned . . .

Apr 8, 2020
The fact that travel insurance firms are going to exclude coverage for bankruptcy claims from Crystal and others is a huge yellow flag. Say what you will about insurance companies, at the end of the day they are number-crunchers with respect to risk (uncertainty). If they are unwilling to risk their profits on paying bankruptcy claims, it tells me the risk is too great. The marketing term "cancel for any reason," as we've painfully learned with force majeure , doesn't prepare us travelers for what happened this year. Our only recourse is to read the fine print and realize that we are pretty much on our own. CFAR needs to go.

Reactions: krisseye
Apr 8, 2020
Just as an aside- several travel insurance companies have announced they will not covered Crystal for bankruptcy claims on new policies, along with Silverseas, Windstar and American Queen Steamboat.
Plus, the CEO resigned 11 days ago.

Apr 8, 2020
An update on Crystal Cruise Line (now in 6th month) refund situation: Per the advice of Neil and others on this site I have contacted Crystal Cruises up the chain of their executive offices. I received a standard letter from CEO's assistant stating that Crystal has already paid "tens of millions" of dollars in refunds. However, I, and I am confident, many other Crystal cruisers are not in that category. As a long time AMEX Delta cardholder, I recently continued with advice and contacted AMEX. "Some of the amount" of the cancelled August 2020 Crystal cruise is now in dispute. However, AMEX is claiming that the original cruise deposit is more than the time allotted for a dispute. I stressed that some cruise deposits can be made quite far in advance of the sailing. So as of now, AMEX is going through the "process" of disputing the final large payment that was paid to Crystal via a "luxury" travel agency. I am disappointed and frustrated with the way this refund has, and continues to be handled and welcome any further suggestions.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is awful, Patricia. Disappointed and frustrated? I'd be beside myself. Crystal continues to lead the travel news about financial troubles. They're not part of a big "cruise corporation" but owned by a company in Hong Kong. AmEx used to have a sterling reputation for protecting its card-holders, and I hope they do the right thing here.