Cruise Ship vs Airlines extra costs

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 21, 2014
You hear so much about Airlines showing low prices for flights, but then tack on the extras, like taxes, baggage fees etc, but I never hear any complaints about Cruise Lines doing the same/similar things.

Take Norwegian, for example. They'll show a price for a room with a balcony, including a couple 'free extras", like a beverage package, or wi-fi etc, included in the price, only to find the least expensive room with a balcony to not include these "free items". Oh sure there's the fine print, but isn't that what airlines do as well? Don't forget they also don't include taxes, port fees, fuel fees, and let's not forget the added daily gratuities. I was amazed to see what it really cost for that cruise that was being advertised at $999 for a room with a balcony (and 2 "free" amenities). I found it especially bothersome that they actually have it broken down to how much it costs per day, of course that's with an inside room and none of the fees...Ohhh $79 a night...turns into well over $100 a night.

While cruises are still a good deal, the cruise lines, as well as airlines shouldn't be allowed this type of deception...Just tell me what it's REALLY going to cost up front. Chances are I'll probably still take the cruise, but won't be as shocked to see it's true cost.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you’ve never cruised before this is well known about ocean cruising. It’s not all inclusive pricing. And your price you pay is also not what you will end up with on the ship weather it’s NCL or any other line.

You pay extra for soda, beer and liquor, alternate restaurants, excursions, photos, Internet....and on and on.

Feb 21, 2018
This is only a guess, but it is likely that they do not include taxes and fees as this number can be fluid based on the itinerary. While you effectively 'lock in' your taxes and fees when you make your deposit, that number can go down if ports are changed once you sail and a refund may be due.

As for gratuities, while many people view them as a regular service charge that one pays for a cruise, there are others who opt to remove the 'automatic gratuities' or hotel service charges and tip in cash separately.

To me, it is still one of the best vacation bargains out there. My husband and I cruise once a year but earlier this year, opted for a land vacation to Arizona. $225/night just for the hotel room...nothing else. We usually pay about $200/night ($100pp) on cruises and that is our room, food, entertainment - a much better value.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
I agree with @msmayor that cruising is a good value. It's a somewhat all-inclusive vacation visiting different places so you can decide where you might like to visit on a land vacation. With respect to taxes, those are refunded if a port is missed. They are likely listed separately b/c they vary based on the places visited.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is only a guess, but it is likely that they do not include taxes and fees as this number can be fluid based on the itinerary. While you effectively 'lock in' your taxes and fees when you make your deposit, that number can go down if ports are changed once you sail and a refund may be due.

As for gratuities, while many people view them as a regular service charge that one pays for a cruise, there are others who opt to remove the 'automatic gratuities' or hotel service charges and tip in cash separately.

To me, it is still one of the best vacation bargains out there. My husband and I cruise once a year but earlier this year, opted for a land vacation to Arizona. $225/night just for the hotel room...nothing else. We usually pay about $200/night ($100pp) on cruises and that is our room, food, entertainment - a much better value.
There is also no other vacation you can pack and unpack once and see several countries at one time.

Msmayor is correct about the taxes. Port fees can change between the time you book your cruise and the time you actually travel. If a country changes a law that increases port taxes, your final payment can change slightly.

May 24, 2016
Norwegian will also tack on "service charges" for the free dining package and the free beverage package. An additional 20% based on what the cost would have been if it wasn't free. For a 7 night cruise for 2, that an additional $275.00

Feb 21, 2018
I agree with @msmayor that cruising is a good value. It's a somewhat all-inclusive vacation visiting different places so you can decide where you might like to visit on a land vacation. With respect to taxes, those are refunded if a port is missed. They are likely listed separately b/c they vary based on the places visited.
@Carrie Livingston , I've even had credits to my onboard account at the end of the cruise because taxes and port fees may change. Small - maybe less than $10 - but still nice to see that any savings is passed right back to the passenger.

May 24, 2016
Royal Caribbean adds on a service charge also, I believe it is 18%, Carnival is $52 per day with 15% added on and Princess $60 plus 15%. Norwegian values their beverage pack starting at $89 per person per day. Royal never offers it as a free perk, but their cost is usually around $45 per person per day. In my opinion Norwegian inflates their package price to extract more service charges from people since they are not paying for the package and only the service charge. I know Royal's includes fresh juices, bottled water and specialty coffees which Norwegian does not

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Royal Caribbean adds on a service charge also, I believe it is 18%, Carnival is $52 per day with 15% added on and Princess $60 plus 15%. Norwegian values their beverage pack starting at $89 per person per day. Royal never offers it as a free perk, but their cost is usually around $45 per person per day. In my opinion Norwegian inflates their package price to extract more service charges from people since they are not paying for the package and only the service charge. I know Royal's includes fresh juices, bottled water and specialty coffees which Norwegian does not
Well - don't book with NCL is you don't like their policies. There are plenty of other cruise lines out there.