Cruise ship sailed through 'nightmare' storm, local woman says

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Steve

Verified Member
Jul 10, 2013
In case of darned if you do, darned if you don't, a Long Island woman was angry at NCL for not getting an apology from the cruise line when the cruise they were on encountered Winter Storm Grayson.

https://patch.com/new-york/center-m...led-through-terrifying-storm-local-woman-says

Two things get me about this story
1) She's angry at the captain for not making announcements.
Really? Maybe the captain and his (or her) crew were busy trying to keep the ship afloat and not listing any more than it already is.

2) "It was such a big, big boat, you would never assume this could happen,"
Really? A big plane can encounter severe turbulence and cause it to go up and down or side to side, causing injuries. Guess she never read about that.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I'm here on Long Island and this was all over the news last night. There were other ships from this area out there that stayed behind the storm and this didn't happen - I believe NCL made the wrong all to try and rush back for their next cruise. This did put the passengers in danger. We were glad to hear it was Royal Caribbean again ....the Anthem of the Seas here had quite a few jinxed sailing out of here.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Other than the cruise ship that hit a rock in Italy, has there been a cruise ship that has sunk due to weather related issues in recent history?

We took our first cruise many, many years ago on the RC Song of Norway. The night before we returned to port in Miami the ship was hit with a freak storm. If the term "Rock and Roll" hadn't already existed, it would have been invented that night. It was so bad that breakfast was served on paper plates because most of the dishes had fallen off their shelves, and the only eggs available were scrambled because most of them had broken.

I just thought that this was part of the excitement and flavor of cruising!

Feb 9, 2016
My sister just got back from an RCCL Empress sailing to Cuba. She said they had a really rough night as well. Probably the same storm.

Dec 7, 2017
SoCal - EAST
What they said:

"We at Norwegian Cruise Line find passenger comfort and safety to be paramount to our success as a business. Therefore, unless unduly risky, we remain committed to the safety and comfort of our guests and crew.

In Ms. Coly's case, their cruise was ending, and we needed to debark the existing passengers timely to not unduly delay the guests on the next cruise fairness dictates that all get the same experience."

What they mean:
"look, the Captain was told to get the ship to New York on time. Safety is kinda important but if it costs us 5 cents comfort gets tossed out the door.

These guys were done. We were gonna have to put up next cruise people for a night if we were late, and we're not spending that money. We hate having to deal with New Yorkers too. This group of self loading cargo were cheapskates taking an early January cruise out of New York. They expect good weather?"

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
We took our first cruise many, many years ago on the RC Song of Norway. The night before we returned to port in Miami the ship was hit with a freak storm. If the term "Rock and Roll" hadn't already existed, it would have been invented that night. It was so bad that breakfast was served on paper plates because most of the dishes had fallen off their shelves, and the only eggs available were scrambled because most of them had broken.

I just thought that this was part of the excitement and flavor of cruising!
We were crossing the North Sea to Dover on the Norwegian Dream to disembark. I had my bed sticking right into the open sliding door and woke up with a wet face and pillow. Hmmmm, I said. Then the next wave hit. We were on the 8th deck and the spray was coming in over the balcony. I too thought it was great fun and very exciting. The sea was so rough that we couldn't anchor in the Port of Dover for six hours. There were blow torches below the waterline to keep the ship intact. We heard later that the poor ol' girl went into drydock after that little adventure.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What they said:

"We at Norwegian Cruise Line find passenger comfort and safety to be paramount to our success as a business. Therefore, unless unduly risky, we remain committed to the safety and comfort of our guests and crew.

In Ms. Coly's case, their cruise was ending, and we needed to debark the existing passengers timely to not unduly delay the guests on the next cruise fairness dictates that all get the same experience."

What they mean:
"look, the Captain was told to get the ship to New York on time. Safety is kinda important but if it costs us 5 cents comfort gets tossed out the door.

These guys were done. We were gonna have to put up next cruise people for a night if we were late, and we're not spending that money. We hate having to deal with New Yorkers too. This group of self loading cargo were cheapskates taking an early January cruise out of New York. They expect good weather?"
The next cruise went out a day late anyway

Dec 7, 2017
SoCal - EAST
The problem is that 'problems' tend to happen places where cruiselines have 'agents.' Agents contracts have very clear chains of command and lists of what they can and cannot do - and - they become responsible financially for what the cruise line bears if they violate the express language of the agreement. Thus - there is no reason to be proactive about anything - reactive means you ask for permission and not seek forgiveness.

I'd be willing to bet there is a clause which reads something to the effect that the agent can only board the ship 4 hours prior to scheduled departure, scheduled departure was change to 18 hours later due to the weather conditions - no one gave the port agent any authority - so the port agent said - "No Access."

People started getting angry around 5-6pm - there was no one on staff at NCL North Americans operations empowered to make a decision - the agent was not about to make the decision - so NCL needed to reach people with the management authority to make a decision to use the ship at a hotel in port. Legal needed to get involved to decide if they were covered by their insurance - the Port Authority needed to make sure they were covered - not until everyone could ascertain their rears were covered could they make the decision - taking 4 hours seems fast under the circumstances.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
Didn't even think about liability issues with it being used as a hotel overnight. I mean, obviously they were going to be pax on the cruise but it hadn't departed yet.

Dec 7, 2017
SoCal - EAST
Saw a case where a ferry let people on. Could not leave harbor because of winds exceeding ship tolerance. Insurer tried to back out and denied coverage for personal injuries because they only covered voyages and loading and unloading before and after the voyage and not docked as an accommodation. Their position.

Apparently the winds entered the harbor. The ferry was at dock and got bounced around. Some people got hurt.