Cruise Credit

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 11, 2018
I booked a cruise and have payed in full. I then realized that I have a major scheduling conflict with my child's school program that is very distressing. I am not looking for a refund, merely a credit to take the cruise at a later date. It's a popular cruise and I know that company could make a profit if my cabin was resold. Any suggestions for how to proceed? ;

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@mags17 What does the cruiseline's refund policy say? The odds are your cabin will have to be sold at a discount if the cruiseline is able to sell it prior to sailing so your best bet is to look at the refund policy and see if you qualify for a partial refund.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If it’s past final payment- you will only get back a partial credit depending on when the cruise is.

The cruise lines don’t simply allow you to get a credit for another date. That’s not how they work.

Find the cancellation penalty and then cancel as soon as possible before it grows. If you bought insurance, we if it covers the reason you are canceling.

Jul 11, 2018
I have insurance but it does not cover "schedule conflicts." The cruise refund policy states that I would lose 75% of the cost.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
Did you happen to purchase the cruise line's policy? It might have a CFAR waiver in it that will allow you a credit (one of the few times the cruiseline's policy is better than the standard)

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Mags, that is the policy. The only insurance that would have covered you for this reason is Cancel for Any Reason. And some cruise line insurance will issue a future credit if you have to cancel for a non covered reason. What cruise line did you book with?

Unfortunately, you are probably going to be stuck losing 75% of what you paid by not having buying insurance that would cover this. Sorry.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Once you understand all the terms of the cancellation policy, compose a polite, concise letter to the cruiseline. Ask them for a credit to be applied to a future cruise. Be specific about which cruise you'd want to take in the future. You are asking them for a favor, for an exception to their rules. We sometimes call this "artful begging" and occasionally it works. It's definitely worth a try. Use our Company Contacts, submit to Customer Service first, wait two weeks and then move on to the executives, one at a time, waiting a week between each submission. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@mags17 One more thought on this before you write your "artful begging" letter. If the cruise is that popular, they may be sold out or running a wait list. If they are, it gives you more credence because they probably can fill your spot.

Regardless, I would check the cruise line's insurance policy. Whatever you ask for, make sure that you ask for less than what you would have received from that policy and state that ... for example "I request a 60% credit for the July 8th, 2019 cruise to East Nowhere. While I purchased a travel insurance policy from Bubba's Travel Insurance, I didn't purchase yours so I wouldn't want to benefit more than one of those clients." I gets you 35% more than you have now while acknowledging that your would have gotten more than someone who purchased theirs... It might help you find a sympathetic ear in the leadership.

Also, make sure that you watch dates so you don't end up running into the 100% loss period.