Credit One will not correct their mistake in hurting my credit after a mistake they made.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 19, 2019
On August 6 2018 I received a credit card from Credit One Bank. I already had a credit card from Credit One Bank. I activated the card thinking this was a annual replacement card. I cut up my old card and continued making my payments on time. Later on I received a letter from Credit One Bank stating I was late making my payments. I contacted Credit One and explained I was not late making my payments.
The Credit One Representative explained to me that this was a different credit card with them. I explained to the Rep I only had one account. The representative explained to me this was a separate account I had opened on August 6th. I explained to the representative that I thought that this was an annual replacement card. I also let the representative know I would have not activated the card if I had known this was a whole new credit card. I asked why would you send me another credit card in the first place. I also asked the representative to look at my other Credit One account and he would see I was always on time with my payments. That this was a mistake on their part. The representative would not work with me to transfer the balance to my existing card. The Rep said I could do a payment plan which i agreed to do.
The Rep never got back in touch with me on the payment plan.
Without getting back to me they closed the account and added the late payments to my credit report. Then they sold the debt to a company called resurgent.
I called Credit One to get Resurgent s information. I called Resurgent and explained the issue with Credit One. I asked for them to take the report off my credit report and I would pay them the $178.00 I owed. They refused to help me and said they would not take it off my credit that it was not there policy. I called Credit One to ask them if I could pay them and they take the Report off my credit. They refused also and gave me the number to Resurgent. I'm trying to buy a house and I have my home up for sale right now with a potential buyer. but Credit One has ruined my credit score . I would be more than willing to pay them if they would just owe to their mistake and take the report off so I can buy a house. If anyone can help me I ask you please to help me.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
How did you open a second card on August 6? I’m not quite following how they could have just send a new card with no explanation.

Did you pay off the balance on the old card as soon as they notified you that you had two cards? If in fact you were late on those payments, they are entitled to report it. What you can do is add a notation to your credit report about what happened but they don’t have to remove it if it in fact was correct.

Once you catch up with payments your credit report will reflect you are current.

Nov 19, 2019
How did you open a second card on August 6? I’m not quite following how they could have just send a new card with no explanation.

Neil,

That's exactly what they did. They sent me a credit card in the mail with no explanation. I had no idea I was opening a new account. I have no reason to lie about this. I even said I would pay them in full. I just need my credit fixed so I can take care of my family. Neil Just last weekend they sent me a check for hundred dollars but they were calling it a cash advance and wanting me to cash it. . Which I have not done. Neil If I pay the $178.00 dollars to them my credit only goes up two points. I have a mortgage company right now working with me to get my credit score up. When I pay Credit One I'm also agreeing that the whole thing is my fault. Which it is not. Neil if I pay them in 60 days my score will go to a 604 If they would remove the report my score would go to a 650. I'm pressing the issue because My family and I are in a bad situation with our home we are in it's not money problems either. I pay my mortgage on time. the house has major problems that it would cost more to fix than what the home is worth.

So I'm doing everything i can to be able to sell it. and move to a new home that is safe for my family.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
The longer you delay paying the balance on the “old” card the worse your Credit Score will get. Pay if ASAP as you do owe the money, though I do wonder how much of that balance is late charges.
After paying the balance due and stopping the damage to your FICO scores then you can fight the battle to Fix the damage to your credit.

Jul 30, 2018
Your narrative as it is written is a bit confusing. This is how I interpret it:

*You had a credit card with Credit One, let's call it card A.
*You received another card in the mail believing it was a replacement card for Card A and activated it. Let's call that one card B.
*You receive a letter from Credit One stating that you are delinquent on the payments on Card B.
* You have no knowledge of opening the account for Card B

1. If you did not open the account for Card B, then you should dispute that account as a fraudulently opened account. Credit card companies normally do not send you an actual card unless you or someone else applies for it, although it could also be some kind of error on the bank's part.
2. If you made purchases with Card B, then you are responsible to pay for them.
3. You should write our company contacts. Stop calling. We recommend any communication be in writing since it can be difficult to document any verbal conversations.
4. In your email, write down the facts using bullet points, similar to how I wrote it above.
5. Its is important to clearly and briefly state the facts. The person reading your letter does this all day and doesn't have time to decipher a long letter.
6. State that you did not open account B, and would like it closed and your credit report amended to reflect this fact.
7. Keep in mind the person reading your letter did not cause your problem, yet is in position to help you.

If you would like, you can post your letter here so we can critique it before you send it.

I'm sorry to say that this appears to be quite a mess and could take a bit of time to sort out. Have you applied for a new mortgage? If so, ask the loan officer if you can submit a statement with your application that explains the situation with Card B.

Jun 24, 2019
Note that unsolicited credit cards were banned in 1970. 15 USC 1642: "No credit card shall be issued except in response to a request or application therefor. This prohibition does not apply to the issuance of a credit card in renewal of, or in substitution for, an accepted credit card. "

There must be some reason why Credit One thought it had a request for a new account. The possibilities range from third party fraud, or a request for an account being contained in something else (like a Sam's Club membership).

Jul 30, 2018
Note that unsolicited credit cards were banned in 1970. 15 USC 1642: "No credit card shall be issued except in response to a request or application therefor. This prohibition does not apply to the issuance of a credit card in renewal of, or in substitution for, an accepted credit card. "

There must be some reason why Credit One thought it had a request for a new account. The possibilities range from third party fraud, or a request for an account being contained in something else (like a Sam's Club membership).
My thoughts exactly: either Card B was fraudulently opened or something strange happened within the bank that created this account.

Feb 21, 2018
You mention that you continued to make regular payments on time...I assume these payment were going toward the 'old card', as you thought that was your only account?

When you reviewed your monthly statements, did you notice that the balance was only going down and any current charges you thought were going on the 'old card' (but were really going on the 'new card' since you cut up the 'old card' were not there? Did you receive any paper statements for the 'new card' in addition to a separate statement for the 'old card'? That surely would have alerted you early on that there were two accounts.

Jan 11, 2019
You can write letters to put in your credit file to explain what happened and why your payments were late. I know it helped me get a loan at my bank when I closed an account a few years back and the loan officer told me to write a brief email explaining why. I would just pay the $178 and deal with Credit One separately trying to fix your credit report.

Write them a letter and demand that they remove this information for your report. It is your debt so you still owe what you have charged. They do send new cards but that doesn't hold them responsible. Trust me. You must read look over everything. Once you pay the debt they will have to remove it. Good luck

Mar 23, 2015
Not trying to "victim blame" here but there are a few missing pieces here. Since these were 2 different account, you should conceivably also have been receiving 2 separate bills needing to be paid then? You were continuing to pay "Card A" regularly, but what was happening with the bills for the $178 charged to "Card B"? If you didn't know you had a new card, it couldn't have been set up for electronic statements without setting up an online billing account so bills *should* have been coming. The delinquency letters should not have been your first notice that something was up. How long overdue was the bill? Unless it had gone to 90 days past due it shouldn't be a HUGE deal. 30 isn't good, 60 isn't great, but it's the 90 day mark and beyond where it starts to really really hurt...

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I agree, this is a real mess and I'm not sure we're getting all the facts. First thing to do is pay what you owe and close one of the accounts. Assuming that you have good credit, next thing is to submit a letter of explanation to your mortgage company ... but it needs to be MUCH more concise so they don't just set it aside. I had a little ding from a $67 charge for a medical service ... the charge was wrong but the company wouldn't back down. I finally gave up and ignored them ... big mistake. Next time I went to refi, there it was on my credit report. Lenders are not blind to the fact that these kinds of mistakes happen, and they're aware of how difficult it is to correct them. My new loan went through smoothly with no more effort on my part after I explained the one negative. After everything settles down, you can go after them to correct your credit report.

I'm coming to the table in this debate rather late, and to just say that reviews of Credit One should be observed before doing business with them.

For instance, on nerdwallet a review states: "Many reviewers say they tried to pay their bill online, but the Credit One website was not working. Or they made a payment, but it wasn't credited to the account in a timely fashion and triggered a late fee. There are more than 1,000 complaints about the company and its customer service on Consumer Affairs."

I used to receive their spam in the mail, and right off the company logo is a red flag. This is an image of their logo when compared to Capital One's: https://www.advisoryhq.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/credit-one-credit-card-review-min.png

Regarding that logo, advisoryhq's review of Credit One states, "Why do so many people think Credit One Bank is a scam? Perhaps it’s because of their logo. It looks extremely similar to Capital One’s design. It’s so similar that many Credit One bank reviews mention accidentally applying for a card because they thought the offer was from Capital One. Looking at the two side-by-side, it is easy to see why someone might get confused."

I hope that helps.