Credit Info Stolen - Someone opening CC's using my info

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 14, 2017
Back in September I got a note from Equifax stating that my credit record could've been compromised. I check and yes, it was. I was offered (and I signed up) for the Trusted ID service they promoted.

I also went and requested a credit freeze on all of the 3 major credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian, TransUnion). This was completed around Oct 1, 2017 and I paid $10 for each (even though I was a victim of Equifax not patching their web servers correctly).

Since this action, I have been receiving warning from Trusted ID that new credit has been open on my behalf. I did not initiated or requested this. The companies that opened credit with my info but without my consent are:

- TD BANK USATARGETCRED - for $2426 - Approved by Experian
- COMENITYBANKVICTORIASSECRET - for $847 - Approved by Equifax
- SYNCBWALMART DC - for $2500 - Approved by Experian (I finally got this one to $0, but it is showing on my report).

I also have the following credit inquiries that were not initiated by me:

- COMENITY BANK/VCTRSSEC - Oct 11, 2017 - By Equifax
- NORDSTROMTD BANK USA - Oct 12 - By Experian
- CAP1SAKS 5TH AVE - Oct 12 - By Equifax
- TDBANKUSATARGET CREDIT - Oct 13 - By Equifax

I need help. I was under the impression that once I put a credit freeze on all my reports, no one could open credit lines on my name. Obviously that is not happening on my case.

Questions:
1) Do I open a police report for this? If so, do I put Equifax, Experian or TransUnion as the party I suspect is collaborating in my identity being stolen?
2) Trusted ID is a joke. Of course is free, because it only tells you that something happened. But they don't help. No additional info is provided. I am out on my oun to figure out what to do (call the company, call the issuing bank?) Last time I called Trusted ID, the call was routed to a call center in India (very noisy background) and they even told me theu didn't have the main number for Exquifax, which is the company that wanted me to get Trusted ID. Is there a better monitoring company?
3) Should I ask Equifax for reimbursement on all the expenses I had to incur because of their lack of proper network security? I paid $10 for each credit freeze, $10 a month for Experian credit monitoring, $19.99 foe each credit report. Plus, now I have $840 on a Victoria Secrets card that I didn't open, plus $2460 on a Target card that was fraudulently opened.
4) How do I get rid of all these negative items in my credit report? Am I on my own here? I did not subscribed to any credit monitoring company to handle my info. How come when they mess up and my info is stolen, I get to fend myself alone while they don't even sweat. Is there any action we as consumers can take to get these companies to act and defend us?

Nov 14, 2017
Just a personal tough - Employees at Target, Victoria's Secret or WalMart must be accomplices with the fraudster. There is no way a credit freeze (if the credit companies processed it correctly) would let them approve credit cards.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Nov 14, 2017
Thanks! Finally some help! Looks like we are alone to fend off the fraudsters. I will go to the SS office tomorrow.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
Pedro,
Some states have free credit freezes - mine does. I would assume they charged you properly but you can check here https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/credit-freeze-laws-50-states.php

I would follow the steps at: https://www.identitytheft.gov/

Additionally, I would apply for, online or in person, a social security number online account. If you have the freezes you need to do so in person at the nearest office. https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/
Educate me, please, Techno. How would the Social Security online account assist in a case like this?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I don't think SS will do anything. My wife's identity was stolen a few years back and SS did nothing. She had to file police reports and work with the credit bureau. It was a real mess.

Pedro, once you put a freeze on all 3 credit bureaus, there should not be ANY credit issued without you having to approve it. My wife had to approve and give out a code if any credit was applied for. Did you call each credit reporting entity?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Pedro, I'd start by contacting the three agencies to ask why accounts were opened after you froze your credit. If your calls are just going to an overseas call center, perhaps an email request might be a better solution. This is just absolutely awful and I hope that you can get it straightened out. Please keep us updated.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
I still don't understand what this actually is.
You have a social security number. There are benefits associated with that number/account. Unless you register on the website first, others can use the information stolen in the Equifax and other data breaches to register on the site. They then can fraudulently claim benefits in your name. They can also apply for a new SS card and use that to open up other accounts, etc.

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

Creating the account is a preventative measure. It can also be used to determine the extent of fraud if someone’s already registered in your name.

I’ve actually got to head down to my local office and do this myself.

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
But! Social security is set up to pay benefits to you when you reach age 65, based on your earnings. Thank you for the link, I will go read about this and understand it. When I was just a lass, SS numbers were 'never to be used' for identification. So I guess I still have that mindset.

Better yet, CP556, YOU should go research this and tell me all about it in 3 paragraphs or less, OK?

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
But! Social security is set up to pay benefits to you when you reach age 65, based on your earnings. Thank you for the link, I will go read about this and understand it. When I was just a lass, SS numbers were 'never to be used' for identification. So I guess I still have that mindset.

Better yet, CP556, YOU should go research this and tell me all about it in 3 paragraphs or less, OK?
SS also pays disability, among other things. Bottom line, in today’s world we should all have credit freezes and and we should all get the online account, IMO,

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Definitely file a police report immediately. Keep this document, you will need it when the newly opened credit cards, etc. are in default and they are sold to a collections agency. They will hound you for payment and you can provide them with the police report along with any other documents you have supporting your situation.

I am so sorry this happened to you.....it really is terrible. Difficult to deal with and very time-consuming. Be vigilant and keep your ears and eyes open to any class action lawsuit against Equifax. The government may be thinking they were not as proactive as they should have been when the breach happened and that may open them up to financial liabilities for those that were/are harmed.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina

@jsn55 - Have I EVER done anything in three paragraphs or less? lolol...

Coincidentally, a few weeks ago I realized I did not seem to have a social security card in my present married name (which I will need when SC does the REAL ID in 2018). It was NOT easy to get the new card. First, there was a long, detailed application/form to fill in, asking things like my parents' full name/birth information AND their SS#s (they've been gone 25 years...but I did manage to find my father's SS#). Then I had to either mail my passport to the SS office (yeah, right, I'll do that) or GO there with the passport. No appointments were permitted (appointments were only to receive benefits). Had I not had a passport, I would have had to bring an assortment of other ID and marriage certificate to prove my current name).

I lucked out and only had to wait 30 minutes to see the rep. And my new SS card was mailed to me about ten days later.

See ... four paragraphs :)

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of a lot of governmental agencies but I've had nothing but great treatment from the Social Security Administration. On the phone they've been great and at our local office their empathy and compassion are unique in interactions with Federal, State or local government personnel. They understand today's issues and most people that you speak with will do what's necessary to fix the problem.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
@jsn55 - Have I EVER done anything in three paragraphs or less? lolol...

Coincidentally, a few weeks ago I realized I did not seem to have a social security card in my present married name (which I will need when SC does the REAL ID in 2018). It was NOT easy to get the new card. First, there was a long, detailed application/form to fill in, asking things like my parents' full name/birth information AND their SS#s (they've been gone 25 years...but I did manage to find my father's SS#). Then I had to either mail my passport to the SS office (yeah, right, I'll do that) or GO there with the passport. No appointments were permitted (appointments were only to receive benefits). Had I not had a passport, I would have had to bring an assortment of other ID and marriage certificate to prove my current name).

I lucked out and only had to wait 30 minutes to see the rep. And my new SS card was mailed to me about ten days later.

See ... four paragraphs :)
What a story!! Do you ever step back and wonder how this country got so full of bureaucracy? Mail them your passport or appear in person, no appts made ... crazy! I literally have my first SS card somewhere ... don't remember jumping through any hoops to change my last name ... but of course that was a LONG time ago!

Nov 14, 2017
Just wanted to give everyone a quick update on my situation.

1) Credit Bureaus were NO HELP AT ALL - My personal info was stolen because someone from the IT department at Equifax forgot to update the version of STRUTS on their web servers, and a hacker exploited it. It was their fault, not mine. So, what do they offer to help? Free credit monitoring. Which only does one thing: Tell you when your credit history is being used for inquiries or new credit. Helpful? Almost not at all. I can see that info going into my credit report online and checking daily. So yes, now I only need to check if Trusted ID sends me a text. But that's it. The name of the person that tried to open fake credit is NOW SHOWING UP AS ONE OF MY ALIASES!!!!! Read that again. The person that stole my identity and opened 3 fake credit lines, worth over $9k....his name is now listed as one of my aliases. Who did this? The credit bureaus. I've been emailing, sending letters, calling, using extraterritorial powers...you name it, everything I can to to try to take that info out of the report. And the call center in India that always get my call can't fix it still.

2) Only a credit freeze did the trick - I was so scared of this getting out of hand that I spent $30 ($10 for each credit bureau) and put a freeze on my credit. I got a couple of rejected inquiries notices after that, so it looks like the vermin that stole my ID has not been able to use it again. Now, is this all a plot to get money from us? Equifax was negligent. Because of that, my credit info was stolen and used. It was their fault. And I have to pay them $10 to make it right? To protect me? How is this not a RICO statue complain? Can I somehow claim back the money I have spent on this?

How come all these credit companies have my credit info and sell it to lenders without my explicit consent? I've never agreed to this. I have enter in no contractual agreement with any of the credit bureaus for them to have my info. How come they have it? How come they mishandle it and there is no punishment for it? Why do I have to accept this? This is one of the only situations where I think a lawyer is needed. Is there a case? Is there even hope for us?

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
@Pedro_R this is a true Nightmare! I’m assuming you have filed a police report for the False Accts and ID Theft. You will need that report often in the future to explain this mess. Equifax should not have charged the Freeze Fee and last summer when the whole Equifax mess was happening I’m pretty sure the said they would refund to anyone who had paid the fee.
Have you been able to get the 3 fraudulently opened accounts resolved with those creditors?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2015
One important note about a credit freeze: it works well provided you do not try to open a new credit card, take out a new loan, or to obtain new services (like internet). Then you have to go through un-freezing them or, in some cases, paying a very high deposit which can take up to 18 months to be refunded.

from personal experience ...