Credit Card promotion changed on 1st bill

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 17, 2018
This is my first post, and its long, so thank you in advance for any insight and guidance offered~

See Pic. I found this offer/promotion on Delta's Website for an Amex card...which I did not need mind you. I am a loyal Capital One customer since 2005.
Yet, The flight was to India which my partners parents were paying for as his Father was having Cardiac complications and was needing hospitalization...
not an easy thing to go through, especially in India so they asked and I agreed to come given the urgency. Rupees arent any where worth the same as dollars
so I was looking for last minute and any deal I could find and I thought I hit the jackpot with this offer. I took a picture though, I was surprised to see $200 off.

I booked my flight while applying all in one fell swoop. Then I called Amex to confirm the fine print as if it was bogus I could cancel my flight in the 24 hour
window Delta provides.

I spoke with a Julie I believe. She confirmed, Yes I will receive the $200 on my first bill since I made $1550 purchase, (over $1000). She told me she notated
in the account as well. So off I went for 3 weeks.

Feb bill comes with a $50 credit. I called Amex and was told No, the offer was actually for $50 off 30,000 bonus miles. Yes but what about my screen shot and
Julie and I never saw this $50 offer...I escalated the call to a Supervisor who said she could give me more sky miles and they were really worth more than cash.
I don't deal in sky miles and in basic checks in balances I agreed to pay $1350 for this ticket and this is what my partners Father gave. This Sup also told me
paraphrase "well we don't really know you" After I asked aren't I considered a valued customer?

There's been as far as I know 3 different disputes opened, yet the first one was not put in correct that was a complaint I was told by a rep. Now
I kept all these details to memory only as I thought Amex was a reputable company and ultimately they'd keep their word without a horse and pony show. That's
always been my experience with Capital One.

So I paid my bill of the approximate $1350 in Feb, after I waited to see if things would be cleared up, which unlike CO they were not quick and finally was told these
disputes take several months to investigate. I asked and offered to please allow me to send in my screen shot. I was told repeatedly No, its not necessary.

I was never notified, about the outcome of these disputes. I thought I was supposed to receive a call? Yesterday I was told they were all closed and found in Amex favor.
So finally through chat I got the access to submit my screen shot. Also I asked multiple times to have a supervisor call me and to please leave a direct call back
number. I din't think this was unreasonable as CO always did this and the cust rep's told me yes, a sup will do this...well Nope. I don't answer unknown calls. I am RN and
I receive solicitations for jobs. So unless I know the number I don't answer. That's pretty common now a days.

Now I am owing the $150 pls interest and late fees which I was told at one point would be removed, totalling $340 approx. Amex has reported this to credit bureaus and
dropped my score to the 691, prior I was 770's and I am applying for a car loan and may not qualify in time to get the used car I'd like to purchase...what a nightmare.

Forgive me I know I'm over explaining...I just can't my head around the poor customer service I've experienced, the lack of follow through and the false promotional
offer...I thought Amex was better than this. And honestly I would have never purchased this flight and taken this offer, opened this card except I only ever heard great
things about Amex.

I wrote an email to an executive yesterday as again I am waiting for a manager to call me back (takes 72 hours) and the rep couldn't guarantee the manager will leave
a call back number...then I call back and ask for a Manager and they want the whole story again then it takes 72 hours plus 24-36 if its into a weekend, and leave no
call back number. Besides everyone I talk too insinuate this my fault somehow...I get better customer service with my wi-fi company. It just seems so bizarre and I was
very reasonable in starting, but Its like talking to a robot. Meanwhile theres now another dispute and nothing gets resolved...how can I trust there actually going to look
at this screenshot meanwhile my credit dwindles and if I am in the wrong I'll gladly pay, yet I'll be damned if I am right, then absolutely no way will they get another cent.

(for some reason my Image will not download here, Iv'e tried as pic and as a PDF???)

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm happy to hear that you have a screen shot of the promotion you signed up for. Hang up the phone and deal only with email from now on. Write a concise, polite letter to AmEx explaining the situation ... you might just make a list of the facts with an opening and closing paragraph. Keep all emotion out, and make no mention of the fact that you only signed up for this to get the bonus on your India tix. Remember that whoever reads your letter did not cause your problem. Your job is to make that person want to help you.

Send it to Customer Service and wait one week. If no reply, or you don't like what you hear, use our Company Contacts to work your way up the executive ladder, waiting a week between each submission. In your email, state that you have the screen shot of the correct promotion and will forward it upon request. Often emails with attachments are discarded, unless they're expecting it. Good luck, and please let us know what happens.

Jul 17, 2018
I'm happy to hear that you have a screen shot of the promotion you signed up for. Hang up the phone and deal only with email from now on. Write a concise, polite letter to AmEx explaining the situation ... you might just make a list of the facts with an opening and closing paragraph. Keep all emotion out, and make no mention of the fact that you only signed up for this to get the bonus on your India tix. Remember that whoever reads your letter did not cause your problem. Your job is to make that person want to help you.

Send it to Customer Service and wait one week. If no reply, or you don't like what you hear, use our Company Contacts to work your way up the executive ladder, waiting a week between each submission. In your email, state that you have the screen shot of the correct promotion and will forward it upon request. Often emails with attachments are discarded, unless they're expecting it. Good luck, and please let us know what happens.

Jul 17, 2018
Thanks for your reply...after going thru all this one starts to wonder if I’m in the wrong in my thinking, somewhere. I don’t think so yet there sure a lot of gaslighting going on when speaking with them.

As stated I already emailed executives. I did this yesterday before joining this thread. I’m very honest and was honest with them, it was a family emergency not some joy ride. I quit my job and left my condo early, put my things in storage to go. (I didn’t share all those details) it was concise and unemo. Even though I took the offer for the savings, I looked forward to a relationship with Amex. Otherwise why would I bother $200 is worth all this.

I have not found an email for customer service...does anyone know how to access?

I do have the chat thread from yesterday’s conversation.

No matter what I can’t get the screen shot on here~

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks for your reply...after going thru all this one starts to wonder if I’m in the wrong in my thinking, somewhere. I don’t think so yet there sure a lot of gaslighting going on when speaking with them.

As stated I already emailed executives. I did this yesterday before joining this thread. I’m very honest and was honest with them, it was a family emergency not some joy ride. I quit my job and left my condo early, put my things in storage to go. (I didn’t share all those details) it was concise and unemo. Even though I took the offer for the savings, I looked forward to a relationship with Amex. Otherwise why would I bother $200 is worth all this.

I have not found an email for customer service...does anyone know how to access?

I do have the chat thread from yesterday’s conversation.

No matter what I can’t get the screen shot on here~
You can't post a screen shot, this site doesn't accept them. You can get company contacts here:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/american-express/

Go to our Company Contacts and read first HOW to write. Then begin your campaign. Let us know how you make out. You must wait at least one week in between each letter.