COVID-19 Cancellation Policy

  • Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
May 29, 2020
We had to cancel a week reservation at the Marriott Maui Ocean Club starting 29 March due to COVID-19 concerns. Instead of refunding our owned week for future use, Marriott Vacation Club (MVC) instead has provided an exchange week through Interval International (II) for use through Dec 2021, but only with 120 day advance window for reservations. To us, this is a real disappointing policy as our experience with II has not been good, as they typically don't have a wide selection of top-rated properties in priority time periods. So, in our view we lost a perfectly good week at a premier resort which we have owned for almost 20 years with $2355 maintenance fees for 2020 and all we are getting in return is the chance to get another week at a somewhat equivalent resort, but very likely not in Maui. We had a cruise cancelled for July and got a MUCH better deal to reschedule similar cruise for 2021. It seems Marriott is taking a very poor decision here that will alienate a lot of their owners. We are certainly looking to seek our timeshare weeks with them now as a result. I made numerous contacts with MVC personnel, all the way to Marriott Corporate and got essentially nowhere, although they were polite. Just very frustrating. Anyone have similar experiences and/or better results?


Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I've not had any experience at all with vacation clubs. What I do know is that during this crisis, travel providers are providing a future credit and not a cash refund if the consumer cancels. In your case that would be your owner's week. Perhaps others here will have more insight. If you cannot make arrangements for what you want, I would definitely ask for an extension of the window for reservations. 120 days is far too small a window. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.
Dec 19, 2014
If I read your original post correctly, you are a timeshare OWNER, and therefore the $2355 that you pay is your maintenance fee. Even if you aren't using your reservation, because you are an owner, the maintenance fee still has to be paid out for upkeep of the unit, so expecting a refund is unrealistic.

At least they are offering you an opportunity to use your week elsewhere.

To put it into perspective, we own a condo in a ski area. When COVID-19 hit, our planned vacation got cancelled. All of our reservations got canceled. It is unfortunate, but that is life. It is not reasonable for me to say "I'm not paying my HOA fees" because I wasn't able to use my unit.

Now, if you were booking a week through Marriott, and not a fractional owner, then yes, a refund should be expected.