Courtyard by Marriot

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 22, 2018
I have been meaning to send this to you sooner but time got away from me. Here is my issue that I'm hoping you can help me with. On January 21st, 2018 I purchased a hotel deal through priceline. Courtyard by Marriot Downtown Detroit, MI accepted my offer. I paid $560.46 for 2 rooms for 3 nights. Upon arriving at the hotel on February 9th, 2018 (check out was February 12th, 2018) we checked in. My mother in law went to her room and my partner and I went to our room. Upon getting ready for bed and removing the top blanket we found a burn hole in the top sheet and a black hair about 12 inches long on the pillow. We went down to the front desk attendant and told him about the sheet and showed him the black hair. He apologized and said that should never happen and I will move you to a different room for the troubles. When he was moving us he said you booked through priceline but that wont be a problem since it is our fault. He did some work on the computer and gave us a different room. He said since we have no similar rooms like you have we will upgrade your room at no charge to you. He also said to help ourselves to pop and snacks for the trouble. We helped ourselves to a pop and some snacks. On our way up to our old room we stopped at the room he gave us. We checked over the room and found no issues. The room was not a upgrade as my mother in law had the exact same room on a different floor and paid the same price we did for our room. The stay was fine and had no other issues. Upon check out I gave the front desk our keys to check out. She said we owed $253.95. I asked her for what and she said for a room upgrade that I requested. I said I did not request the room upgrade. I explained to her what happened and told her there should be notes in the account. She looked and said you are correct and I will remove the charges. She didn't know how to remove the charges and asked someone for assistant. Another person came over and helped her and removed the charges. The only amount I owed was for valet parking which was $56.00 which I paid for as my mother in law has trouble walking. I did get a receipt for the valet parking but didn't for the room as they removed the charges...or so I thought. My mother in law checked out and everything went fine for her. I thought all was taken care of. I received my credit card statement in March for my February charges. To my shock I found a charge from the hotel in the same amount that they said they removed. I called up the hotel and spoke with the same person who originally moved us to a different room. I told him about the charge and he said my credit card should have never been charged and that he is sorry and that I need to talk to accounting to have the charges reimbursed back to my credit card. He said accounting was gone for the day but he can transfer me to her voicemail and to leave her a message about what happened and my contact information and she will get back to me and he will let her know what happened as well. I left her a voicemail and was thinking she would call me back the next day. I waited 2 days and heard nothing back from accounting. I called back and she was out of the office. I called back later in the day and got a hold of accounting. I explained to her the situation and she said she talked with the manager already about the situation and that they can not reimburse me since I asked for a room upgrade. I explained to her that I did not ask for a room upgrade and that the person at the front desk gave us the room at no cost for the issues that we had. She said there is nothing she can do. I asked to speak to her supervisor. She put the manager on the phone. I explained the situation to the manager she said there is nothing that she can do as I asked for a room upgrade. I said I didn't ask for a room upgrade and that the front desk attended gave us the room. She said he does not have the authority to do that and that I should've talked to the manager the next day if I didn't want to get get charged for the room. I told her this is the first I have heard of this. She said we have already gave you a credit of one day and the charges will remain as is. I said you have not given me any credit for this issue. She kept on insisting that they had. I asked her for her supervisor contact information. She said I can't give it to you but I will forward you to his voicemail. I left him a voicemail and heard nothing back. Later in the day I received a call from accounting wanting to know how I would like the credit issued. I said back to my credit card and she said she can do that and will follow up with a confirmation number. I received no call back from anyone after that and was tired of getting the go around. I tried to follow a dispute with my credit card company but they said since I don't have a copy of the charges that they removed they can't help me. I told them why would I have a receipt if the charges were removed. They said they can't help me in this case. I'm hoping you can help me in this matter to the money I'm entitled to. I could see if I asked to get a room upgrade then it would be my responsibility but I didn't. I'm pretty sure this goes against Marriott's commercials about making things right for it's customers. Let me know if you need anything else and I look forward to hearing from you.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
Unless that was who you spoke to, which I doubt based on their lack of authority, you should call back and ask to speak with the General Manager. If that doesn't work then use our company contacts.

Dec 22, 2018
The person who I spoke with said she was the manager. I have not got anywhere with them and any help would be greatly appreciated. Who would I contact to help me in this matter? Thanks!!

Dec 19, 2014
The person who I spoke with said she was the manager. I have not got anywhere with them and any help would be greatly appreciated. Who would I contact to help me in this matter? Thanks!!
Call the hotel. See if you can get the name of the general manager. I would write an e-mail to the general manager. Keep your letter concise and to the facts

- You booked a stay for 2/9/2018 through 2/12/2018.
- The rate was $X for the stay
- The room assigned (***) was unacceptable <due to ***>
- The issue was promptly brought to *** at the front desk, who reassigned us to room (***)
- Upon check out, we were charged $253.95. When this was brought to the attention of ***, who assured me this was an error and that it would be corrected. Not only has it not been corrected, I have spoken to *** (manager) on <date> and also *** (accounting) on <date> who assured me that it would be corrected. It has been 11 months, and I still have not seen a credit.
Please respond at your earliest convenience confirming a credit of $253.95 to my credit card.

Moving forward, you need all communications in writing, not by phone.

Alternatively, I noticed that the hotel has an active facebook page. You can also try to send a message via Facebook

If the above fails, as Barry says, you need to contact Marriott corporate. One issue that may create some issues is the lengthy delay between the stay (10+ months).

Good luck!

Dec 22, 2018
Thanks. I will try emailing first and see what happens. Then I will try FB. If I get no where do you have corporates contact information or where can I find it?
Thanks.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Dec 22, 2018
Thanks. I did dispute it with the credit card company when I received the statement but they said they needed a receipt showing I did not get charged for the room. I mentioned this in the post.