Costco Citi Visa Card sigificantly reduces travel insurance protections

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 24, 2018
Be aware -- now that I've charged all my travel, airlines and hotels, etc, to my Costco Visa over the last few months for an upcoming fall trip, I've just learned that any meaningful trip protection benefits are being reduced (as of July 29) from $3000 per person to $1500 per trip for all travelers; that travel and emergency assistance are being eliminated entirely, along with roadside assistance. What a piece of work this partnership is. The PDF on Guide to Benefits, of course, still states the original benefits. Lesson learned with Costco Citi Visa --not worth much.

This is all news to me... so I went and checked...

Effective Jul 29, the trip cancellation and interruption benefit is still $3000 per covered traveler per trip -or- the amount charged to your Citi card... not sure where you got that it’s being reduced to $1500 per trip.

May 24, 2018
I know it shows that in the updated Guide to Benefits "effective 7/29/2018," but a clarifying call to a rep will disclose that information is in error and that reduced benefits will be in place.

Sep 19, 2015
I have a different Citibank card; got an email in early June(

Citibank seems to be reducing a number of benefits— trip delay is 1500 per person and maximum of 5000 per year. Roadside assistance seems to be going

Note: this applies to purchAses made ON OR AFTER July 29 2018 according to the email I received.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Many credit cards dont' have great coverage. They are forcing you to buy travel insurance to cover yourself. We had clients that booked a $13,500 river cruise and the woman refused our insurance, stating that her credit card had coverage. Lucky for her, she was going to a company that required proof of health insurance so she sent my wife a copy of her plan and asked if it was sufficient. My wife read the policy and saw the maximum coverage for everything was $3500. My wife called her and told her about the limit. The woman was shocked and bought the policy we had.

It was a good thing she did too, because two weeks before they were to travel, her husband developed pneumonia and they had to cancel the trip. If they hadn't bought the policy we had, she would have lost $10,000.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Unfortunately, this reduced-benefits news has been all over the bloggers recently. Citi seems to really be the worst culprit for reducing benefits. I suspect that they gained so many new cardmembers by replacing AmEx that they no longer need to offer good travel benefits.

I hope my colleague is right and that your trip will fall under the "old" rules. Never take the word of a phone agent, you have no idea if they know what they're talking about. Insist on getting this in writing. I would investigate other credit cards; my Chase Sapphire is still offering great travel benefits. But you can believe that I watch it closely! You can stay on top of this stuff with The Points Guy, who publishes a daily newsletter.

May 24, 2018
Thanks for the insight. Citi published a revised 7/29/2018 PDF Guide to Benefits that still shows same benefits, even though all 3 phone reps in the Card Benefits department said it was incorrect. So I printed it out, before it gets changed. And I'll be looking for a different travel card. Shame on Costco for aligning themselves with this kind of behavior.

Interestingly enough, I went back through all my statements, and there's no mention of changes to anything but the Price Rewind policy. I called and asked, and was told that there were no changes upcoming to the Citi Costco card benefits other than Price Rewind. (Called 6:02pm PDT on 7/11/18.) They said that some cards were changing, but to their knowledge, the Costco card was not. They pointed me towards the PDF on the website that shows the same benefits. This is weird.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Interestingly enough, I went back through all my statements, and there's no mention of changes to anything but the Price Rewind policy. I called and asked, and was told that there were no changes upcoming to the Citi Costco card benefits other than Price Rewind. (Called 6:02pm PDT on 7/11/18.) They said that some cards were changing, but to their knowledge, the Costco card was not. They pointed me towards the PDF on the website that shows the same benefits. This is weird.
Thanks for the insight. Citi published a revised 7/29/2018 PDF Guide to Benefits that still shows same benefits, even though all 3 phone reps in the Card Benefits department said it was incorrect. So I printed it out, before it gets changed. And I'll be looking for a different travel card. Shame on Costco for aligning themselves with this kind of behavior.
The Chase Sapphire Card was recent mentioned at having the best travel insurance. But you need to really look st everything it covers carefully. Many have a dollar limited that a card covers. You may have to buy a full priced travel policy to cover an expensive trip.

Jan 30, 2018
My Cit Cash Double Cash Rewards card is reducing their travel benefit as of the end of this month as well. I got notification about a month ago.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
It may end up that an annual policy is the best price and the best coverage as well as a time saver for a lot of travelers. I only make 4-6 trips per year so not sure what I will do.
Right now I spend much time checking to see which card I should use to pay for what expense. Exhausting and boring.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It may end up that an annual policy is the best price and the best coverage as well as a time saver for a lot of travelers. I only make 4-6 trips per year so not sure what I will do.
Right now I spend much time checking to see which card I should use to pay for what expense. Exhausting and boring.
The only issue with an annual policy is that they also have an annual limit that one cancellation can take up.

Oct 22, 2016
Be aware -- now that I've charged all my travel, airlines and hotels, etc, to my Costco Visa over the last few months for an upcoming fall trip, I've just learned that any meaningful trip protection benefits are being reduced (as of July 29) from $3000 per person to $1500 per trip for all travelers; that travel and emergency assistance are being eliminated entirely, along with roadside assistance. What a piece of work this partnership is. The PDF on Guide to Benefits, of course, still states the original benefits. Lesson learned with Costco Citi Visa --not worth much.
I, too, am puzzled where you got that information. I just called Costco Citi Visa benefit services, spoke with "Ali", who informed me that some Citi Bank visa card benefits will be altered. However, the all of the benefits of the Costco Citi Visa card members will remain the same including the Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection.