Cost to change flying dates for Delta tickets purchased with miles

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 11, 2018
My wife & I are expecting a grandchild to be born in San Francisco mid-January & we’re trying to understand whether booking round-trip Delta tickets now with her skymiles would provide the greatest flexibility, ease & cost-savings in case she needs to adjust her flying dates before or after the actual birth should our daughter-in-law give birth on a date other than that expected. We have not been able to ascertain what the cost would be to make changes in flying dates.​

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Depending on your status with Delta, the changes fees may be much less than with a paid ticket, and there is no fare difference when rebooking. I typically pay $25 to change a mileage award ticket with United, instead of $200 plus the fare difference. So definitely compare both options.

Sep 19, 2015
Here is the Delta fee:$150 unless Diamond or Plat and must be done 72 hours in advance.

Members can make changes to an Award Ticket up to 72 hours prior to the original departure time (outbound or return). All taxes and fees associated with that ticket will apply. The fee for reissues is $150 USD. The fee is waived for Diamond and Platinum Medallion members, provided the member makes changes at least 72 hours prior to the original flight departure time. Miles for Award Travel are nonrefundable for flights canceled or changed within 72 hours of the original flight departure time. See Award Travel Fees for full terms and condition

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
Another thought, not one to rely on, is that Delta might consider being lenient with you to move the tickets given the situation, especially if you have status. My mother passed away recently and they were very helpful when I needed to make changes to the tickets associated with returning to the USA from the UK. Looking at Delta's web site, I think that their 24-hour cancellation policy also applies to award tickets so you could make the reservation then call in and ask them if they would be flexible if you had to change the dates. If they say "No" then you have the option to cancel. The other option is to wait until the last minute and then book it but then you run the risk of no availability or higher mileage requirements. I like Neil's idea, getting the one way ticket now and waiting until later to get the return (but make sure that two singles don't cost a lot more than one round trip, it's very hard with Delta to figure out how many miles are required these days, without actually going through the reservation process and stopping before you need to purchase).

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I book mostly one-way tix now, often on two different airlines. My trips are insured through Chase Sapphire, so I don't have to worry about paying two cancel/change fees. I agree with Neil, try it ... unless you'd be subject to double cancel/change fees. Are your city pairs those with frequent service? If not, you'd have to worry about availability. OTOH, arriving several days after the baby is born allows your wife to really assist with all the activities once they come home from the hospital. Sometimes new parents are completely overwhelmed when the baby's about 3 weeks old.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
Delta actually does seem to charge a lot more for 2 one-ways than for a round trip (unlike other airlines). I agree you should look into it but make sure that you are not wasting a lot of miles by doing it this way.

Last edited:

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Without knowing your home airport it is impossible to make a specific recommendation, but you should look at paid tickets on other airlines before committing to Delta paid or mileage tickets. Depending on the route, there may be a less expensive option than DL. We just flew non-stop BDL-DEN on UA for $200 one way, much less than a mileage ticket would have cost.