Copa Airlines refusal to honor my upgrade to Business class

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 6, 2018
My wife and I flew from Dulles to Panama (XXXX) and then on to Pereira, Colombia via Copa Airlines 12/14/17 and we had a scheduled return on 01/26/18. Unfortunately, as we were leaving for the airport 3 hours before flight time in Pereira, Colombia on the 26th, my wife fell and broke her arm causing us spend the next 10 hours in the hospital and miss the flight.

The hospital provided us with a medical summary, which I provided to the ticket counter in Pereira the next day (I also emailed the medical summary to COPA) and we were not charged the customary $300 for changing flight dates.

However, two days before the scheduled return flight to the states, I had upgraded our return flight from “Tourist” to “Business Class” from Panama to Dulles, at a cost of $385. We managed to obtain a flight to the states on the 27th, but Copa refused to honor the upgrade from Tourist class to “Business Class". There were empty seats in Business class on our flight from Panama to Dulles on the 27th and I explained the situation that I had already paid for the upgrade, but COPA insisted that the upgrade was only good for the date of the original return flight from Panama on the 26th, not the 27th. We were both in wheelchairs-me because of three back operations which prevents me from walking very far and my wife, because of instability and prone to falling. I am 80 and she is 79.

Can you help us recoup the $385.20 we paid for Business Class but were not permitted to use?

Sincerely yours,

Donald and Nubia

Last edited by a moderator: