Contest Hertz Damage Claim from Spain

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 9, 2018
Hello - I have been trying to contest a damage claim from a rental out of Hertz's Barcelona office. I started receiving emails in June for damages from a mid-April rental. We disregarded the claim because we had friends who had been scammed from this same Hertz site. I did get an email stating the damage which included my signed copy of the Vehicle Condition Report. That report was not updated with any intake information on receipt of the car after my rental. As well, when my husband dropped the car off the attendant made no reference to any damage. There are two blurry images of the front of a car but they are not time stamped except a typed date next to the picture and whatever damage is hard to see. There is a copy of another Vehicle Condition Report from a different renter that does show the damage. This 2nd report does not have my signature, is dated wrong and the mileage is off from my signed report.

At this point, Hertz has sent this to a collection agency here in the states. I have contacted the Customer Support in the UK and have written the collection agency saying the charges are under dispute. I would like to escalate this further but wonder if the US contacts you have for Hertz US would be applicable to an international dispute.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Hello - I have been trying to contest a damage claim from a rental out of Hertz's Barcelona office. I started receiving emails in June for damages from a mid-April rental. We disregarded the claim because we had friends who had been scammed from this same Hertz site. I did get an email stating the damage which included my signed copy of the Vehicle Condition Report. That report was not updated with any intake information on receipt of the car after my rental. As well, when my husband dropped the car off the attendant made no reference to any damage. There are two blurry images of the front of a car but they are not time stamped except a typed date next to the picture and whatever damage is hard to see. There is a copy of another Vehicle Condition Report from a different renter that does show the damage. This 2nd report does not have my signature, is dated wrong and the mileage is off from my signed report.

At this point, Hertz has sent this to a collection agency here in the states. I have contacted the Customer Support in the UK and have written the collection agency saying the charges are under dispute. I would like to escalate this further but wonder if the US contacts you have for Hertz US would be applicable to an international dispute.
This is an ongoing rental agency scam both in the US and from foreign sites. If you look at this site you will find multiple stories like yours every week. Follow the guidance above and contact Hertz.
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/hertz/