Contacts are wrong

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 27, 2016
Well, Friday mail has come and no certificates. Per Rudy's request I emailed him stating that I did not receive anything. To be honest, I don't know why they wouldn't have put tracking information on this to begin with. I'm waiting for his response to see what the next step is.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Well, Friday mail has come and no certificates. Per Rudy's request I emailed him stating that I did not receive anything. To be honest, I don't know why they wouldn't have put tracking information on this to begin with. I'm waiting for his response to see what the next step is.
Or join the 21st century and send them electronically! Oye.....they are testing your patience, that is for sure.

Jul 27, 2016
The certificates arrived today. I read the certificates completely and of course found conflicting information to what I was told by multiple associates. The wording on the certificate says this: Cruise must be taken by 07/11/2018 and not redeemable for inaugural or holiday sailings. Below is what I sent to Rudy.

The certificates arrived in the mail today. I would like for you to clarify one thing. I've had 2 customer service agents tell me explicitly that the certificates have to be utilized by the expiration date, but my sail date doesn't have to fall within the expiration time period. In other words, my certificates expire July 11, 2018. I could technically book on July 10, 2018 for a cruise in December of 2019 and the certificates would cover the costs applied to them. The wording on the actual certificates is indicative that that would be wrong. One agent went as far as to tell me (based off my concern that I would have to travel with a child under 2 years old) that I can even get around the system further by booking a cruise after the expiration date, then adjusting that cruise at a later date. I could potentially push the certificates out 'indefinitely' as they put it.

The reason this is a concern to me is I do not want to go on a cruise with a child under 2 years old. I cannot travel with a baby under 6 months old per RCCL guidelines. So at the earliest I could sail in June of 2017 (son due November 2016) with a 6 month old. My daughter is out of school the months of June and July. So I would have have to travel June/July of 2017 or June of 2018 with a 1.5 year old. Can you please confirm the information that was provided to me on 2 separate occasions by customer service reps. Thanks!

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Thanks for the update. I just knew you needed to get the Expiration and Use details. It would be normal that the travel needing to be completed by the expiration date. The airlines do the same thing with expiration of credits.
Good for you for calling them out and getting this clarified now rather than the day after these Certs expire! Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
For those who care, here is what I sent.

Good afternoon all. I apologize for this means of communication but have exhausted all other options to address this. Below I will provide a timeline for your review and close with my ask of you.

My wife, myself, and my daughter booked a reservation on Oasis of the Seas with a sail date of March 26,2016. My wife found out she was pregnant just prior to our sail date and as such I called and cancelled the cruise as soon as we had spoken with our doctor and he had advised us to not travel due to Zika concerns. When I cancelled, the agent on the phone had assured me that I would receive a full cash refund for the prepaid excursions AND the cost of the cruise since I had also purchased travel insurance. I double checked with the agent that I would get a refund for both. I filed a claim on my travel insurance and provided all of the requested medical paperwork to verify the need to cancel (March 25). Over the next two weeks I was involved in a back and forth battle with the insurance and customer service pointing their fingers at each other as to why I would not receive my money back. Finally I agreed with customer service that I would get a dollar for dollar credit to use on another cruise within the next 2 years. Since that conversation I have followed all requests from customer service to provide information and have done so in a timely manner. Both times being promised that within a week I would receive my voucher. The first attempt to send data was on May 6th. The second attempt was on June 26. On July 7 I reached out to the Facebook page to address my concern outlining everything I have outlined here so far. On July 12th I was informed that my vouchers would be mailed out within the week and I would have them shortly. It's now been 2 weeks since that interaction and I still have not received my vouchers. Upon calling into Customer Service (Agent Calina - 800-256-6649 ext 11829) again this morning I was told that they can again mail me my vouchers. I declined this option stating that after being told time and time again that I would receive my vouchers and after being told twice I would get a full cash refund that I had lost faith in customer service and would just like to receive a full refund. She did indicate that she could offer me a refund, but due to how long it had been since my sail date she would need to check with her lead. Her lead indicated it had been too long to offer a refund. I am now 4 months removed from the beginning of my request and am no closer to reaching a resolution despite my personal interaction to ensure that everything happened the way it was being told to me it would. .

My request is that you please have someone reach out to me with the ability to issue a check for the amount of my cruise. The amount of my invoice was $3589.00. Below is my contact information that someone can contact me at. I have attached my original invoice as well.

I appreciate your attention to this matter and apologize for having to resort to this method to get attention to my request.
Sounds good to me. Zika is out of control. I would maybe lose the last couple of paragraphs. I detest vouchers and always prefer the cash. It's so silly these days that they need to be mailed. One would think they automatically apply when attempting to use them.
I would also lose paragraph one. Keep it simple:
1. Start with my wife...
2. Close the first para with the word both.
3. Open para 2 with the word finally
4. Close para 2 with the word vouchers
5.Start next para with My request...

If you already sent this try again
with the above edits. It sounds like they did promise you something and didn't deliver what was promised.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I hate to say this but you are really making it difficult for Royal to satisfy you. They are being more than fair offering you a certificate expiring in 2 years. Plenty of people cruise with infants and now you are asking for them to wait until the baby is 2.

This is their policy on the website which is MORE than fair and accommodating:
:

What should I know about the Zika Virus before sailing?

A: Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is committed to the safety and health of our guests and crew. We are closely monitoring the Zika virus situation and are aware that the CDC has issued a travel alert for certain countries where Zika virus transmission is ongoing. Royal Caribbean will assist any pregnant women who do not feel comfortable sailing to countries affected with the Zika virus by providing alternate itinerary options. This may include providing guests with a future cruise credit valid for two years so that they may re-schedule their voyage for a later date, with no penalty. Guests seeking additional information on the Zika virus are encouraged to contact their primary care physician or visit the CDC's website.

If you try to be too difficult to deal with, they are going to just stop dealing with you. You are lucky that they did the right thing and are giving you what their policy states and you want even more. They have gone out of their way to give you this after your cruise was canceled incorrectly (albeit from an agent who didn't tell you that they offer a certificate good for two years).

Isn't there any way you can try to make this work with the certificates they gave you?

Aug 28, 2015
New York
My update for today is last week I was told I would be reached out to by the end of Wednesday. I explained that Thur and Fri I was taking time off to spend a couple days with my daughter and wife before she starts school next week. As of this moment, I've not received a call from anyone. They still have time to call me, but a little irritated that they didn't give me a window to look for and since that email haven't heard a thing.

For reference, I run a global support organization for a very large organization. One which interestingly enough I've sent one of my guys on a RC cruise to help implement an IT solution on their ships. I know what it means to be supportive of your customers and one which understands that the best way to a successful endeavor with a customer is to set proper expectations and precise timelines and then meet those or communicate if you're not going to meet them. A vague window of 3 days to get back to me isn't what I deem setting a proper expectation. Seeing that I do work and my schedule is very fluid, it would behoove my contact to set a time and date to call me back and if necessary adjust from there. If I received a complaint about one of my guys and I looked through the case notes and saw what I'm going through, I would be livid with that employee not for following protocol, but for completely ignoring the customer aspect of the situation.

Obviously I won't be outlining those feelings if he calls. if he doesn't though, it may be a different conversation.
We all have business notes we could provide these companies. Unfortunately, they don't seem to appreciate the feedback. Everyone at their job has a call they don't feel like making sometimes. This is something everyone can relate to.

Jul 27, 2016
I hate to say this but you are really making it difficult for Royal to satisfy you. They are being more than fair offering you a certificate expiring in 2 years. Plenty of people cruise with infants and now you are asking for them to wait until the baby is 2.

This is their policy on the website which is MORE than fair and accommodating:
:

What should I know about the Zika Virus before sailing?

A: Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is committed to the safety and health of our guests and crew. We are closely monitoring the Zika virus situation and are aware that the CDC has issued a travel alert for certain countries where Zika virus transmission is ongoing. Royal Caribbean will assist any pregnant women who do not feel comfortable sailing to countries affected with the Zika virus by providing alternate itinerary options. This may include providing guests with a future cruise credit valid for two years so that they may re-schedule their voyage for a later date, with no penalty. Guests seeking additional information on the Zika virus are encouraged to contact their primary care physician or visit the CDC's website.

If you try to be too difficult to deal with, they are going to just stop dealing with you. You are lucky that they did the right thing and are giving you what their policy states and you want even more. They have gone out of their way to give you this after your cruise was canceled incorrectly (albeit from an agent who didn't tell you that they offer a certificate good for two years).

Isn't there any way you can try to make this work with the certificates they gave you?
That's the thing that you're missing. It took me going this route to get what they said they would give me. And even then, they screwed that up. I heard back from Rudy and he apologized for issuing the certificates wrong. They should have said I had to utilize the cruise credit by July 11 as opposed to sailed by July 11. He said he has updated the system and I just need to call in before July 11, 2018 to use the certificates. I'm holding the email chain until I do book as I have no expectation that they will actually function the way they are supposed to at least based on my interactions so far.

Feb 9, 2016
Ha ha, make them throw in some in-room babysitting every night of the cruise so you can put baby to bed and enjoy the late seating dinner :)

In all honesty, I know this has been rough but you will enjoy the cruise once you get on board.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Typically they expire in one year and all travel must be completed by that time.
The certificates are good until
July of 2018. As a goodwill gesture, Royal has made them valid for 2 years so that anyone expecting a baby can deliver and the baby will be old enough to travel. They clearly state it on their website in addition to the email Poseidon has received. All he needs to do is keep that plus a copy of the policy shown online.

It's too bad the agent he spoke to
In the first place was unaware of the cruise lines policy. That's why I believe that the executives were more willing to work every th Poseidon to ensure he was given what their own policy states.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Sorry your right and I knew that. Too early and I have not had any coffee ;)
Did we ever get the contacts that were wrong sorted out and corrected?

Jul 27, 2016
I don't think Rudy is anything more than maybe an escalation customer support rep. I didn't get the vibe that he's the guy who handles these situations daily. My email was likely sent from CEO to a Director to a Manager to Rudy.