Contacts are wrong

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 27, 2016
Lots of activity here yesterday that I didn't see till now. I'll address some of it and give an update.

1. I cancelled 1 week before our sail date.
2. The OB did write a medical note forbidding travel and used codes to back it up.
3. The OB offered to talk to both RCCL and the insurance. Both declined stating that the policy does not cover avoidance of disease. The insurance did tell me that if the pregnancy had been deemed irregular in any way, the policy would have went into affect and covered it. Technically my wife had 2 large cysts that were discovered in her first ultrasound, but that happened AFTER the sail date happened so we couldn't use it.
4. I heard back from someone at RCCL yesterday afternoon. His name is Rudy Navarro. No title per say, just indicated he was with the executive office. He said he would review my case and wanted to know a good time to call me. I tried finding any reference to Rudy Navarro on LinkedIn but was unable to.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
Lots of activity here yesterday that I didn't see till now. I'll address some of it and give an update.

1. I cancelled 1 week before our sail date.
2. The OB did write a medical note forbidding travel and used codes to back it up.
3. The OB offered to talk to both RCCL and the insurance. Both declined stating that the policy does not cover avoidance of disease. The insurance did tell me that if the pregnancy had been deemed irregular in any way, the policy would have went into affect and covered it. Technically my wife had 2 large cysts that were discovered in her first ultrasound, but that happened AFTER the sail date happened so we couldn't use it.
4. I heard back from someone at RCCL yesterday afternoon. His name is Rudy Navarro. No title per say, just indicated he was with the executive office. He said he would review my case and wanted to know a good time to call me. I tried finding any reference to Rudy Navarro on LinkedIn but was unable to.

Interestingly, there's a Rudy Navarro in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area shown as Owner of a company named Select Medical Billing. Whether he's still there or is working with Royal Caribbean now is not known, but I suspect a correlation in this instance ...

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Pregnancy is generally not covered at all and neither are Zika fears with insurance. This is where you would need Cancel for Any Reason insurance for coverage. It has been a goodwill gesture on the parts of airlines and travel suppliers who have been refunding pregnancy travelers.

I think you should approach any future emails or calls with that information.Ask for a future cruise credit instead of a refund and you might get that.

Was she pregnant before the final payment was made?

Jul 27, 2016
No. Final payment was made Jan 1. Pregnancy wasn't discovered till like March 15. This isn't about the credit or me wanting money. At this point I've dealt with promises, lies, and finger pointing out of their customer service department. In my opinion, I don't want to do business with them now or in the future. So a future credit does me no good other than force me to do business with someone who has completely lost my respect and mistreated me as a customer. Refunding me the money would go a long way in earning my future business back. Backing me into a corner and making me do business with them in the future will make it so I don't ever do business with them again and steer anyone I come across away from them.

So the pregnancy thing or their policy on how they handle it today is irrelevant to the situation. This is more about a customer and bad customer service.

They have already lost out on 9 travelers next year. I was set to point my parents and their siblings to RCCL for their Alaskan cruise before this happened. Assuming $1500 a person (which would be a steal for a 7 night Alaskan cruise) that's $13,500 they lost out on over a ~$3500 cruise.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
They don't care and in their mind your have already made a huge concession that the rules of their contract and the penalty for late cancellation do not require.

As far as different stories you received. Front Line CS agents make mistakes all the time. It's not a lie and no the cruise line will not do it just because someone mistakenly gave wrong info.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Well, you do have this wonderful blessing on the way. However, it is not going to hurt to write using our contacts and asking for a refund. Cruise lines aren't looking at this the way that a resort is - you will be in and out of a stop on a ship and there are very rarely mosquitoes while the ship is sailing. And if you aren't sailing to an area that has cases of Zika, they may not care at all. If you are staying at a resort where Zika has been reported, there is much more of a chance of getting bitten.

It's too bad that you didn't use a travel agent that could have told you all of this about what the insurance covers and doesn't. I have a traveler now that is almost at final payment on a Caribbean cruise and she told me she is planning to get pregnant in the near future. My advice to her has been that she needs to check with her OB/GYN before she makes final payment to ensure that the dr.thinks it is ok to travel because travel insurance will not cover fear of Zika later.

Use our contacts, remain polite and tell them you are asking for an exception and that had you known that a pregnancy was going to happen, you would not have booked the cruise. State that you just cannot take the chance that anything could happen during the pregnancy and you didn't have a choice but to cancel. Ask for their good will.

Start at Customer service, give them a week to get back. If it's still a no, write to the first executive. Give him a week, repeat if necessary.

We never say never here. We have seen what we thought were slam dunk no's get reversed by a good letter arriving on the right executives desk. After you write to everyone, if the answer is still no, we can resubmit it to the writers and see if they can make a difference.

Keep us updated after you start the writing process.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I am currently listening to the news and they are stating ZIKA is in the U.S. in Florida and confirmed it is now officially in the U.S. It is simply now a matter of time before it is in totally throughout the U.S so every woman of child bearing age is going to have to take precautions to decrease their risk of becoming infected.

Now every woman of childbearing age or who are pregnant here has to start thinking about using insect repellent and take precautions. It won't take long to be found in every state.

Feb 9, 2016
@Poseidon7192, this is right in Royals website about Zika and it is more than a fair compromise. Did they make this offer to you before you canceled? Or did you just cancel and not ask about this?

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/custo...y_asked_questions&faqSubjectId=466&faqId=6325
THAT is the RCCL I am used to.

Again, it's not about how 'fair' RCCL was in giving LW a full credit, it's about the complete run around LW waiting for the credit.

@poseidon7902 You must have gotten a bad CS rep and/or the staff didnt have their stuff together. I would suggest that you take that future cruise, with an open mind, when you are ready and give the line a chance. Definitely write to the company contacts about your experience. I would suspect RCCL will want to make changes and streamline their Zika process - at least confirm that every agent knows exactly what it is - so that people like you dont have to go thru stress and headaches.

In my experience RCCL takes care of their customers (tho I haven't sailed in about 4 years)

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you spoke to a rep. at Royal when you called to cancel and they didn't offer this, then you might want to write to the contacts and ask for the credit for 2 years.

Unfortunately, Royal did nothing wrong as they have a policy in place just for this that is more than fair. What you do have a legit beef about is if the agent you spoke to did not give you this option. But again, many of these agents have never taken a cruise and have no clue what to do when something out of the ordinary happens. The agent should have made this offer. It seems that your cancellation simply wasn't handled right. You should get over your anger at Royal and take the credit.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
THAT is the RCCL I am used to.

Again, it's not about how 'fair' RCCL was in giving LW a full credit, it's about the complete run around LW waiting for the credit.

@poseidon7902 You must have gotten a bad CS rep and/or the staff didnt have their stuff together. I would suggest that you take that future cruise, with an open mind, when you are ready and give the line a chance. Definitely write to the company contacts about your experience. I would suspect RCCL will want to make changes and streamline their Zika process - at least confirm that every agent knows exactly what it is - so that people like you dont have to go thru stress and headaches.

In my experience RCCL takes care of their customers (tho I haven't sailed in about 4 years)
I agree ... RCCL is a good cruise line. I've cruised on them 6 or 7 times over the last 20 years. We are pushing this idea because a credit toward a future cruise is probably do-able but a refund would be a miracle. The people who didn't handle your situation well will have nothing to do with a future cruise; it's tempting to 'write off' an entire company based on an experience like this, but I think you should consider giving them a chance to make this right.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
My strong suggestion would be that when you write to the executives requesting reconsideration, you make sure you indicate that RCCL's previous answer to you must have been a misunderstanding. Tell them that you've read their published policy on Zika/pregnancy and would like that applied in your situation.

(That's a great way of basically saying "You handled this wrong. Now fix it.")

As has been said, be polite, brief and sweet as pie.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree ... RCCL is a good cruise line. I've cruised on them 6 or 7 times over the last 20 years. We are pushing this idea because a credit toward a future cruise is probably do-able but a refund would be a miracle. The people who didn't handle your situation well will have nothing to do with a future cruise; it's tempting to 'write off' an entire company based on an experience like this, but I think you should consider giving them a chance to make this right.
Their policy was to either give them a cruise in another place or a credit good for 2 years. That is a very fair offer and I think that is going to be the best this writer is going to see.

Jul 27, 2016
My update for today is last week I was told I would be reached out to by the end of Wednesday. I explained that Thur and Fri I was taking time off to spend a couple days with my daughter and wife before she starts school next week. As of this moment, I've not received a call from anyone. They still have time to call me, but a little irritated that they didn't give me a window to look for and since that email haven't heard a thing.

For reference, I run a global support organization for a very large organization. One which interestingly enough I've sent one of my guys on a RC cruise to help implement an IT solution on their ships. I know what it means to be supportive of your customers and one which understands that the best way to a successful endeavor with a customer is to set proper expectations and precise timelines and then meet those or communicate if you're not going to meet them. A vague window of 3 days to get back to me isn't what I deem setting a proper expectation. Seeing that I do work and my schedule is very fluid, it would behoove my contact to set a time and date to call me back and if necessary adjust from there. If I received a complaint about one of my guys and I looked through the case notes and saw what I'm going through, I would be livid with that employee not for following protocol, but for completely ignoring the customer aspect of the situation.

Obviously I won't be outlining those feelings if he calls. if he doesn't though, it may be a different conversation.

Jul 27, 2016
I just spoke with Rudy and he said that somehow the system never issued my certificates which is why i never got them. he said he personally oversaw them being sent out on Monday and I should receive them by the latest the end of this week. Of course I wanted to ask why the agent I spoke to couldn't see that but left it as it was as there was no point in dragging out the conversation if we didn't need to. I told him that I would be watching for the certificates and if they don't show up by mail delivery on Friday I'd reach out to him via email. I mentioned that the last agent I spoke with promised me a cruise credit and he looked into it and said that he sees the notes that I was promised a credit and added $300 in credit good for 2 years as well. I have to use my certificates by July 15, 2018.

So overall, not happy, but glad this is hopefully taken care of. We'll see if my interaction on the cruise merits me continuing to do business with them.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I just spoke with Rudy and he said that somehow the system never issued my certificates which is why i never got them. he said he personally oversaw them being sent out on Monday and I should receive them by the latest the end of this week. Of course I wanted to ask why the agent I spoke to couldn't see that but left it as it was as there was no point in dragging out the conversation if we didn't need to. I told him that I would be watching for the certificates and if they don't show up by mail delivery on Friday I'd reach out to him via email. I mentioned that the last agent I spoke with promised me a cruise credit and he looked into it and said that he sees the notes that I was promised a credit and added $300 in credit good for 2 years as well. I have to use my certificates by July 15, 2018.

So overall, not happy, but glad this is hopefully taken care of. We'll see if my interaction on the cruise merits me continuing to do business with them.
Why aren't they offering what they state on their website- a cruise credit good for 2 years if you have to cancel for Zika?

I posted their own words a few posts ago right from their website.

Jul 27, 2016
That's what the certificates are. I am not a fan of the fact that I'm receiving 3 different certificates but the value adds up to what I spent.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
That's what the certificates are. I am not a fan of the fact that I'm receiving 3 different certificates but the value adds up to what I spent.
Good. I am glad it worked out and I think you should give Royal another chance. Just because the rep. was a dope, it shouldn't reflect on the actual cruise you'll take.

Enjoy that new baby and future cruise.