Contacts are wrong

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 27, 2016
For those who care, here is what I sent.

Good afternoon all. I apologize for this means of communication but have exhausted all other options to address this. Below I will provide a timeline for your review and close with my ask of you.

My wife, myself, and my daughter booked a reservation on Oasis of the Seas with a sail date of March 26,2016. My wife found out she was pregnant just prior to our sail date and as such I called and cancelled the cruise as soon as we had spoken with our doctor and he had advised us to not travel due to Zika concerns. When I cancelled, the agent on the phone had assured me that I would receive a full cash refund for the prepaid excursions AND the cost of the cruise since I had also purchased travel insurance. I double checked with the agent that I would get a refund for both. I filed a claim on my travel insurance and provided all of the requested medical paperwork to verify the need to cancel (March 25). Over the next two weeks I was involved in a back and forth battle with the insurance and customer service pointing their fingers at each other as to why I would not receive my money back. Finally I agreed with customer service that I would get a dollar for dollar credit to use on another cruise within the next 2 years. Since that conversation I have followed all requests from customer service to provide information and have done so in a timely manner. Both times being promised that within a week I would receive my voucher. The first attempt to send data was on May 6th. The second attempt was on June 26. On July 7 I reached out to the Facebook page to address my concern outlining everything I have outlined here so far. On July 12th I was informed that my vouchers would be mailed out within the week and I would have them shortly. It's now been 2 weeks since that interaction and I still have not received my vouchers. Upon calling into Customer Service (Agent Calina - 800-256-6649 ext 11829) again this morning I was told that they can again mail me my vouchers. I declined this option stating that after being told time and time again that I would receive my vouchers and after being told twice I would get a full cash refund that I had lost faith in customer service and would just like to receive a full refund. She did indicate that she could offer me a refund, but due to how long it had been since my sail date she would need to check with her lead. Her lead indicated it had been too long to offer a refund. I am now 4 months removed from the beginning of my request and am no closer to reaching a resolution despite my personal interaction to ensure that everything happened the way it was being told to me it would. .

My request is that you please have someone reach out to me with the ability to issue a check for the amount of my cruise. The amount of my invoice was $3589.00. Below is my contact information that someone can contact me at. I have attached my original invoice as well.

I appreciate your attention to this matter and apologize for having to resort to this method to get attention to my request.

Feb 9, 2016
we had a recent thred with the same kind of issue - canceling for a medical reason. The thread (maybe it was an Elliot article) pointed out that, if you cancel prior to the day before (maybe day of) the cruise, the cruiselines cancellation policy is invoked and you only get the cancellation policy's percentage of your money back. However, if you wait until the day of the cruise to cancel (maybe the day before0 the travel insurance kicks in and you get a full refund.

Im late and have to submit this and leave, but could this be the case ?

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Congratulations on the impending arrival of a new little one! Of course cancelling was the right thing to do and thank goodness for Travel Insurance. I am puzzled as to why your TI does not seem to be making you whole. So let's clear up a few questions.
Did you book your cruise direct with RCCL? Or a Travel Agent? Your TI was it purchased direct thru RCCL or did you purchase from an outside vendor? Have you filed a claim with your TI company? And what was the outcome of the claim?
Just some questions to get us moving in the right direction.

Jul 27, 2016
I booked through RCCL and purchased their insurance. I had a lawyer look over the travel insurance documentation and they said that RCCL giving me a credit was more than legally I deserved. Apparently there's clauses in there specifically about pregnancy as well the fact that avoiding a sickness is not the same as being sick. I did open my claim with Assurant Insurance on March 25. our original sail date was March 26. Assurant said that per RCCL they were not allowed to issue a credit. RCCL said that per the insurance company I was not eligible for a credit. So legally speaking I have no leg to stand on (unless a lawyer tells me differently than my last one). At best I'll get someone fired for saying I would get a cash credit because RCCL would just say the agent did not have the authority to give a cash credit and was wrong.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Ok thank you for clarifying some of the details. Zika is new and some of the Cruiselines have made exceptions given what we now know about the horrible effects on developing babies.

Cruiseline CS agents give incorrect info all the time and you are not likely to get anyone fired. When you cancelled in March the Zika issue was a very NEW Issue and the Cruiselines were still trying to deal with it in a fair and responsible manner.
It sounds like the offer of vouchers for a future cruise was very fair and somehow the back office operations messed up the processing of your vouchers.

Let's correct the email addresses and hang up your phone. Do not contact RCCL by phone but only by email and create a paper trail.

Have you heard back from the email contacts that went thru?

Jul 27, 2016
The only one that went through went to the CEO. That was sent about 10 minutes prior to my original post so there's not been enough time for him to review the email or ignore it properly yet. The CS rep that I spoke to did apologize quite a bit and offered on board credit if I decided to call back in. She said she understood why I felt a need to reach out to executives, though she said that she reached out to someone in the executive group and was told I couldn't get a refund. I'm not buying that. I work for an enterprise organization and getting in touch with an executive is near impossible in the time frame she indicated. They would want a whole lot more information than she had time to provide.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Michael Bailey's office will turn it over to the proper dept and you may actually receive a phone call from their office.
Clarify once again, RCCL has offered you how much credit towards a future cruise (2 yrs expiring when? Get the expiration date in writing). The this offer was made in writing and you just have not received the vouchers ? Correct? And this offer is in writing?

Aug 29, 2015
My guess is that Michael Bailey 's office will have someone follow up. He did when he was at Celebrity, and now that he is CEO of the parent company, he seems to be a strong leader there as well.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
They offered dollar for dollar. So my personal credit is like 1700. my wife's was 800 and daughters was 600. Those are numbers rattling around in my head, but it will align with the itinerary. I have nothing in writing though they have a post published on their website about it now. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/custo...y_asked_questions&faqSubjectId=466&faqId=6325
Take it and run! Just make sure you understand the rules to using the money and the expiration dates. Usually the expiration dates mean that travel has to be completed by that date (not booked) but get those rules in writing!
Once again Congratulations on the baby!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Congratulations on the impending arrival of a new little one! Of course cancelling was the right thing to do and thank goodness for Travel Insurance. I am puzzled as to why your TI does not seem to be making you whole. So let's clear up a few questions.
Did you book your cruise direct with RCCL? Or a Travel Agent? Your TI was it purchased direct thru RCCL or did you purchase from an outside vendor? Have you filed a claim with your TI company? And what was the outcome of the claim?
Just some questions to get us moving in the right direction.
Travel insurance generally doesn't cover pregnancy. How far after the final payment did all of this happen.

Feb 9, 2016
I'm ashamed of RCCL. Microencephaly is nothing to minimize. It's as real as Ebola, just as easy to catch, and it is a family altering, permanent condition.

That said, have you explained all of this to your OB? If you ask him/her she/he may issue you a letter that forbids you to travel. They can reach deep into their medical knowledge and pull stuff out to put on paper that is very relevant and non arguable. At the very least maybe submitting a letter forbidding you to travel due to the threat of Zika might motivate someone to rule in our favor. Are you sure there is nothing in your pregnancy that could be counted as a pregnancy threatening condition, even potentially? Talk to your OB.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I'm ashamed of RCCL. Microencephaly is nothing to minimize. It's as real as Ebola, just as easy to catch, and it is a family altering, permanent condition.

That said, have you explained all of this to your OB? If you ask him/her she/he may issue you a letter that forbids you to travel. They can reach deep into their medical knowledge and pull stuff out to put on paper that is very relevant and non arguable. At the very least maybe submitting a letter forbidding you to travel due to the threat of Zika might motivate someone to rule in our favor. Are you sure there is nothing in your pregnancy that could be counted as a pregnancy threatening condition, even potentially? Talk to your OB.
They are getting their funds in way of a future credit and have 2 yrs to use it. RCCL is being very generious as they cancelled the day before sailing.
RCCL did nothing wrong and has been generious.

Feb 9, 2016
They are getting their funds in way of a future credit and have 2 yrs to use it. RCCL is being very generious as they cancelled the day before sailing.
Only because she was trying to avoid being sick. If their OB had written them a letter stating she was too ill to travel they would have gotten whatever compensation was without having to struggle.

RCCL may be 'technically' being 'very generous, but I can still be disappointed that it wasn't compassionate enough to offer them a credit UP FRONT. Instead they made him battle and stress for it. Microencephaly is a life changing situation and it is controllable if you make safe decisions. RCCL should have had more compassion immediately, not make someone struggle.

I'm past baby making age but not too far past it to be so very empathetic for females who have to deal with it. I'm fearful for my 7 year old and which she might have to deal with if they don't eradicate it. Imagine being afraid to simply go outside when you are pregnant!

Zika consumer issues should not be based on the dollar, this is life we are talking about.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
According to the contract they would forfeit their entire cruise amount as they cancelled the day before sailing. In Cruiseline speak this is extremely Generious. And it is absolutely due to the risk of Zika.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This may be true, but RCCL won't send the vouchers. They promised to send them several times. This is ridiculous; the decision was made, the offer tendered, it's a very simple matter now and they can't seem to send them ... unless RCCL reps have not been telling you the truth.

I think that Chris might be needed here. If the email to the CEO does not solve your problem, I suggest contacting Chris for intervention. RCCL's back office sounds completely incompetent.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Oh good grief RCCL has a back office problem and frankly the vouchers could well be email vouchers and they have been given wrong info. Who knows, but this is something easily fixed and not conspiracy!