Connection that we can’t make

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 17, 2018
We purchased 3 tickets to go from Dublin, Ireland to Baltimore Md connecting through Newark, NJ (UA flights 22 and 4420) for September 1, 2018. Those flights gave us a 2 1/2 hour layover in Newark.

We got a schedule change from United that changed our connection to from 4420 to UA 4905. That flight leaves an hour before flight UA 22 arrives.
I’ve spoken to United and they’ve offered to reroute us through Chicago, but that will get us in over 9 hours later than originally planned and no compensation.

My question is am I entitled to compensation from United? Does the fact that I’m coming from an EU airport change any of it?

Thanks for listening!
Sue

Sep 19, 2015
No for the EU compensation. You have been alerted to the change far in advance (I think 2 weeks is the minimum amount) so the options are refund or reroute. This is a schedule change the flight is no longer going on that day -- it still exists but not on the day. It is not a cancellation because the flight is now not scheduled for that day.

I can see how Chicago would add a lot of time to the trip, but the options are reroute or refund.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree with Christina. See if they have any other flights on a different day that might work - are there any later flights out of EWR that day?

If the schedule doesn’t work- they have to refund you in full and you can rebook on another airline.

As Just A Guy said you can also check alternate airports.

Apr 17, 2018
All,

Thanks for the quick responses. I live 10 minutes from BWI, so it’s preferred, But I’ll look into IAD.

There are no other United flights that day from Newark to BWI.

If we decide to leave the way it is and take Amtrak from Newark to BWI at our own cost, would united let us on the plane in Dublin knowing that we can’t make the connection?

Sue

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
All,

Thanks for the quick responses. I live 10 minutes from BWI, so it’s preferred, But I’ll look into IAD.

If we decide to leave the way it is and take Amtrak from Newark to BWI at our own cost, would united let us on the plane in Dublin knowing that we can’t make the connection?

Sue
Don’t do this on your own- if you aren’t on the first flight, you are a no show for your initial flight - the rest of your ticket is voided. The return gets canceled.

Call United and ask if they can make that change for you. If they change the ticket for you- then you will be ok.

That’s a good option to consider.

Jul 27, 2016
All,

Sue
Of course, it's up to you, but flying to EWR and then taking Amtrak to BWI is going to be a lot slower than flying to Dulles and getting an Uber (around $100) to BWI.

That said, whatever you decide, contact United now, and tell them that's what you want to do. In circumstances like this, they're extremely likely to be flexible.

Apr 17, 2018
The Dublin to Newark to BWI is the last of the flights on our trip. When I initially talked to United they said removing the Newark to BWI flight was a "voluntary change" and would cost us $100 / person.

I just don't want to show up to Dublin at the end of our vacation and not be able to board the flight to Newark or have them automatically have rerouted us because of the connection.

Amtrak was ~$150 for 3 people and it would get us to BWI an hour later than our original plan.

Any way I look at it, I'm going to be spending over $100 more just to get home unless I get a refund and replan the flights. When I look at the flights now, they've gone up close to $200 / person, which stinks but isn't the end of the world.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I totally forgot this was the return, I apologize.

The only issue you would have skipping your last flight is getting your luggage. That will automatically be placed on the next flight if you don’t cancel that portion of the ticket.

Jul 27, 2016
I totally forgot this was the return, I apologize.

The only issue you would have skipping your last flight is getting your luggage. That will automatically be placed on the next flight if you don’t cancel that portion of the ticket.
If this were from (almost) anyplace other than Dublin, you could just collect your bags at EWR, take them through customs, and leave the airport. Technically, missing city ticketing, but odds United would care are basically zero. Since Dublin has preclearance, that won't work, unfortunately.

Apr 17, 2018
First of all, thank you so much for quickly answering all of my questions.

The luggage wouldn't be a problem if the connection is already gone before the plane with our luggage lands, right?

Also - I would have to go through customs / passport control in Newark, so I'd have to get my luggage, correct? Usually then you would put it back on the carousel for your domestic connection. We would just walk out of the airport after going through customs with our luggage.

I'm going to call United in the next few days. I'd prefer to have them remove the last leg or re-route us to IAD. Any suggestions on the wording to get them to remove the last flight without me having to pay the change fee?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
First of all, thank you so much for quickly answering all of my questions.

The luggage wouldn't be a problem if the connection is already gone before the plane with our luggage lands, right?

Also - I would have to go through customs / passport control in Newark, so I'd have to get my luggage, correct? Usually then you would put it back on the carousel for your domestic connection. We would just walk out of the airport after going through customs with our luggage.

I'm going to call United in the next few days. I'd prefer to have them remove the last leg or re-route us to IAD. Any suggestions on the wording to get them to remove the last flight without me having to pay the change fee?
No - when you leave Ireland you go through passport control there - you don't do it when you return. If that were the case - yes, you could have simply picked up your bags and left. But because you clear in Dublin before you come home - the luggage won't be removed.

If you miss the connection - that is correct, your luggage will be taken off at EWR. But then the airline is responsible for getting you on their next flight - but that could be the next day.

If it were me - I think I would chance it - if you make the connection, great, but if you don't, then you have the back up of taking Amtrak home. Amtrak is only a few hours out of Newark to BWI so that is probably your best option.

Did you ask United if they could simply drop the connecting flight at no charge? I can't see why they couldn't do that for you since they made the change to the flight.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@Sue C Try something like... As a result of your schedule change, the options given to us do not work for our travel. Can you just terminate our trip in Newark and we will make our own way home at our expense.

Might work but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'd take the IAD option. Do yourself a favor an look on the UA website to find a routing that works for you. After you have that, call and request that specific routing (Flight # and times). I've never had UA deny my request on a schedule change when I give them that option (Full Disclosure I do have status with them)