Connecting Flight Danger In Frankfurt

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 17, 2018
On Sept. 13 I was connecting on a Lufthansa flight from Moscow to a Lufthansa flight to Dallas. I had a relative short connection time and was going through security and was pulled for a random enhanced security check. At the time I was 15 minutes from the boarding time for my flight to Dallas. I would estimate the line for the enhanced security check was 75 to 100 people and barely moving. I was able to get them to move me up significantly in the line but reluctantly. I did make it through security and to my flight but there seemed to be no consideration made for people with short connection times. My wife, whom I was separated from at security, brought this situation to the Lufthansa agent and their response was that is why they ask that one arrive at the airport two to three hours early. However, I was on a connecting flight with an hour and forty minute scheduled layover.

I think that Frankfurt security should look at this situation and implement procedures to address accommodate passengers that find themselves in similar situations. I do not know if this is a problem unique to Frankfurt. However, should I fly through Frankfurt again i would be very nervous with less than a three hour layover.

Feb 16, 2018
The Lufthansa agent was correct, hour layover time was too short for an international flight. Moving people up in the line due to improper planning only contributes to others waiting longer and being shortchanged on their layover. Imagine if several flights came in late at the same time, some passengers would not make it.

Jul 27, 2016
The Lufthansa agent was correct, hour layover time was too short for an international flight. Moving people up in the line due to improper planning only contributes to others waiting longer and being shortchanged on their layover. Imagine if several flights came in late at the same time, some passengers would not make it.
It's a perfectly adequate connection time for a connection that doesn't require immigration or security. The problem only arose because the US Government, for no good reason, requires additional, redundant security screenings for flights to the US. Don't blame Lufthansa or Frankfurt airport, blame DHS.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Its really not an adequate connection time even without immigration or security if your original flight gets out late. We never book a connecting flight with less than 2 hours in between and more if we need to go through immigration.

Sep 19, 2015
105 minutes may work as a connection if one is flying in First Class or it is low season or at arriving at 5 am.

Was this the initial screening and not one by the gate correct? I would not book that connection especially arriving from Moscow. Moscow origin flights (tend to arrive at B gates) all have security rescreening for connections, unlike the flights arriving from the EU.

One of my pet peeves is unrealistic minimum connection times set by the airlines. That is not the fault of security at the airport.

When booking an international connection if one does not know the airport one should err on the side of caution, consult travel forums, or use a travel agent.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
For me 3 hours is the absolute minimum for an international connection at any airport.
I so agree, Krisseye. People can pontificate and give advice and expound on the subject of connection times ... but it's the passenger who pays the price of a missed connection. I'd just rather not go there.

Dec 26, 2014
I look at where I am sitting in the various types of planes so that I can figure out how long it will be before I can deplane. If it is a small regional get with bags that are dropped off in the jetway I need to add extra time to stand in the jetway waiting to collect my carryon. How large is the airport, and where is my connecting gate? Do I need 10 minutes or more to get to that gate? If I assume everything went perfectly (we arrived on time to the airport, the ground crew was ready and waiting for our plane, everyone in front of me exited the plane fast, and the bags came up to the jetway quickly) I could still have used up 10-20 minutes just getting to my new gate. (no new security or customs checks) But, I also have to consider that the boarding doors close about 10 minutes before departure. That 105 minute connection time is not really idle time eating bon bone with my feet up at a gate, it has already been shortened by closure of the boarding door let alone the time it took me to get there. There have been many times where my connection layover shrunk down to barely making my flight due to delays. I would much rather stroll around the airport, perhaps imbibe an adult beverage or relax with my book than stress over making my connection.

Sep 19, 2015
It's a perfectly adequate connection time for a connection that doesn't require immigration or security. The problem only arose because the US Government, for no good reason, requires additional, redundant security screenings for flights to the US. Don't blame Lufthansa or Frankfurt airport, blame DHS.
FRA has a very different set up. If one is connecting from certain areas (Russia, Africa) a passenger has to be screened for the connection just as if it was the first departure. This is not the case with an EU flight. There may be DHS mandated additional screening at the gate, but this sounds as if the OP ended up in the landed in the undesirable B gate section where one cannot connect to US or EU flights without being rescreened.

What is also tough about FRA is that they use a lot of remote gates — so wait for the bus to fill up before going to terminal, another issue with a tight connection.